Current Trial The Teachers Pet Podcast & Chris Dawson's Murder Trial * New Carnal Knowledge Trial

Remove this Banner Ad

FTY1

All Australian
Jul 14, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Hedley is being accused of editing his own podcast **Scandal **
100 hours of podcast - apparently this could cause delays (well in addition to the other evidence. We all managed to listen the podcast and would welcome listening to the other hours.
Next hearing is 20 June.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05...portant-documents-have-been-shredded/11095722

"A Sydney Court has heard "vitally important" material relating to the case against former teacher Chris Dawson for the alleged murder of his wife 37 years ago may have been shredded.

Mr Dawson's lawyer, Greg Walsh, told Sydney's Downing Centre Court the material believed to have been shredded was collected by journalist Hedley Thomas for The Teacher's Pet podcast. "

"The exact words spoken by Mr Thomas were as follows: '[The lawyers] got back to me today and said 'we, ah, we think chapter five of episode seven needs to be significantly shredded, cut out,' and I was like 'oh, why'? And they said 'well, you'll go to jail if it stays'.'
"[Mr Walsh's comments] appear to have been made for the purpose of smearing the reputation of Mr Thomas," the statement read.

The court heard there was about 100 hours of material within the podcast.
Mr Walsh said if it was not provided to the defence it would be a "huge task" to keep to the timetable set down for hearing the case.
He said that Thomas would be called as a witness when the committal hearing begins.
Mr Dawson is next due in court on June 20.

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Hedley is being accused of editing his own podcast **Scandal **
100 hours of podcast - apparently this could cause delays (well in addition to the other evidence. We all managed to listen the podcast and would welcome listening to the other hours.
Next hearing is 20 June.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05...portant-documents-have-been-shredded/11095722

"A Sydney Court has heard "vitally important" material relating to the case against former teacher Chris Dawson for the alleged murder of his wife 37 years ago may have been shredded.

Mr Dawson's lawyer, Greg Walsh, told Sydney's Downing Centre Court the material believed to have been shredded was collected by journalist Hedley Thomas for The Teacher's Pet podcast. "

"The exact words spoken by Mr Thomas were as follows: '[The lawyers] got back to me today and said 'we, ah, we think chapter five of episode seven needs to be significantly shredded, cut out,' and I was like 'oh, why'? And they said 'well, you'll go to jail if it stays'.'
"[Mr Walsh's comments] appear to have been made for the purpose of smearing the reputation of Mr Thomas," the statement read.

The court heard there was about 100 hours of material within the podcast.
Mr Walsh said if it was not provided to the defence it would be a "huge task" to keep to the timetable set down for hearing the case.
He said that Thomas would be called as a witness when the committal hearing begins.
Mr Dawson is next due in court on June 20.
Am I reading this right? Thomas has shredded parts of the podcast (transcript, I presume) on the advice of his legals, whereas Walsh is claiming that documents collected by Thomas were shredded?

FTY1

All Australian
Jul 14, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Am I reading this right? Thomas has shredded parts of the podcast (transcript, I presume) on the advice of his legals, whereas Walsh is claiming that documents collected by Thomas were shredded?

I was trying to work out when the Brisbane Seminar was done. I think it was mid last year which seems to be before the arrest. Even if he had edited/shredded the documents, he is not the police and within his right to. If he did it after being asked to hand them over that would be a different story.

100 hours of documentation into 16 episodes into episodes about an hour long meant that only about 20 percent of the total recording of podcasts was played.

Newspapers are editted and so are podcasts. Any investigation of this type would need legals to check over it.

No surprise Dawson has formally pleaded not guilty but the police have added an extra charge of "carnal knowledge teacher of girl between the ages of 10 and 17" with indications he can look forward to even more.

Detective Superintendent John Kerlatec said police had undergone an "exhaustive" inquiry since July last year that had included statements from several witnesses.

"It's a very serious charge, it does relate to a 1980s charge, hence [the use] of the term carnal knowledge," he said.

"The investigation covers a broad geographic area and a lot of people have come forward already.

"We seek to find justice for each and every victim and ensure the person offended be brought before the court and answers for their criminal actions."

The podcast that was likely the driver in having Dawson charged, now appears may compromise the trial.

A Sydney magistrate says broad and lengthy media scrutiny of the case against former PE teacher Chris Dawson is unprecedented and could prejudice his murder trial.

FTY1

All Australian
Jul 14, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
He's supposed to be back in court by the end of this year, not long to go.
Not long at all.
04 Dec9:30 am2018/00372527 R v CHRISTOPHER MICHAEL DAWSON CriminalLocal CourtWitness Hearing
  • Unassigned
Sydney Downing CentreUnassigned-
04 Dec9:30 am2018/00372527 R v CHRISTOPHER MICHAEL DAWSON CriminalLocal CourtReturn of Subpoena
  • Unassigned
Sydney Downing CentreDowning Centre
Crt 4.4 Downing Ctr
-
04 Dec9:30 am2018/00372527 R v CHRISTOPHER MICHAEL DAWSON CriminalLocal CourtWitness Hearing
  • Unassigned
Sydney Downing CentreUnassigned

The committal has started. Mrs. McBay who is now 101 years old has testified she thought she saw Lyn in Sydney after she disappeared, her husband who was there said he couldn't tell. Then she also said this:

Mrs McBay also testified she attended a children's birthday party at Chris Dawson's house in July 1981 and was told by Lynette that she had been involved in an "awful row" with a teenage student of Mr Dawson's who had moved into their home to help with babysitting.
"She said 'I've had the most dreadful row with (the teenager) this morning. Dreadful row. She said 'she wants to get rid of me'," Mrs McBay said.
"I said 'oh Lyn you can't be hurt like this, you should get her out of the house before she causes any more trouble'. She said 'my mother said exactly the same thing'."

Who can't see where this is going?

FTY1

All Australian
Jul 14, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
The committal has started. Mrs. McBay who is now 101 years old has testified she thought she saw Lyn in Sydney after she disappeared, her husband who was there said he couldn't tell. Then she also said this:

Mrs McBay also testified she attended a children's birthday party at Chris Dawson's house in July 1981 and was told by Lynette that she had been involved in an "awful row" with a teenage student of Mr Dawson's who had moved into their home to help with babysitting.
"She said 'I've had the most dreadful row with (the teenager) this morning. Dreadful row. She said 'she wants to get rid of me'," Mrs McBay said.
"I said 'oh Lyn you can't be hurt like this, you should get her out of the house before she causes any more trouble'. She said 'my mother said exactly the same thing'."

Who can't see where this is going?

So let me get this right. The same teenager moved in to the Dawson's place in October 1981 but was babysitting at the house before?

Seriously another friend seeing Lyn without trying to talk to her.

Sightings without verification are hard for me to grasp. I go back to the Daniel O'Keeffe missing person case where the family went up to Queensland after identifying him from a video in a medical centre. When his body was found, he had never left the house.

The sighting was conveniently outside a hospital
"Mrs McBay said she was waiting in line outside Sydney Hospital to meet Prince Charles and Princess Diana on March 28, 1983, when she believes she saw Lynette Dawson run across Macquarie Street."

Last edited:

FTY1

All Australian
Jul 14, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
"Mr Dawson, 71, was on Monday due to face a five-day committal hearing before Downing Centre magistrate Jacqueline Trad to determine whether he will face a Supreme Court trial over the death of his wife Lynette in 1982. He has pleaded not guilty to the charge of murder."

So witnesses that have been connected to the podcast are not able to appear.

"The witnesses who will no longer appear are: Mr Thomas; Mrs Dawson’s former friend and neighbour Julie Andrew; Rebecca Hazel, a lawyer and the author of a book on the case; Detective Sergeant Damian Loone, who was assigned to investigate in the 1990s; and Bev McNally, a former Dawson family babysitter. "

Damian Loone did not participate in the podcast at all even though there was recordings of him. There is really no reason for Hedley Thomas to be a witness as his evidence would be hearsay. The recordings possibly could be. Rebecca Hazel would be supporting some of the teenager's evidence. Bev McNally's evidence would be fairly important.

Article: "Witnesses who spoke to 'Teacher's Pet' journalist dropped from court hearing"
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...opped-from-court-hearing-20200210-p53zcs.html

Article: "Twist in Chris Dawson hearing: Psychic not available to give evidence"

Today's witnesses were psychic Debbie Malone who hasn't found the body despite knowing where it is.

The witnesses that said she was nursing at a Sydney Hospital. I think this was mentioned before by Chris's legal team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nods. Apparently she is very helpful!?

Sorry I thought I could sneak it in between some actual news of the committal hearing.

didnt the psychic appear in the podcast? Or is this a different one?

(Can’t believe this is even a question...)

FTY1

All Australian
Jul 14, 2018
AFL Club
GWS

Chris Dawson's Brother In Law gives evidence. Chris Dawson to stand trial. 4 Witnesses said they saw Lyn. None of them spoke to her. This one puzzles me the most. Why didn't he tell Chris or at least Peter that he had seen Lyn.

"Mr Dawson's brother-in-law, Ross Hutcheon, today became the fourth witness this week to claim to have seen Ms Dawson after she was said to have vanished.
Via a video link from Western Australia, Mr Hutcheon recalled he saw Ms Dawson three to six months after she disappeared, waiting at a bus stop near a hospital in Gladesville.
"It was in broad daylight. There was no rain, no fog, clear vision," he said.

Mr Hutcheon was visited by two police officers in 1999 and said he told them about the sighting.
The only other person he had told, until recently, was his wife.
"As far as I was concerned the police had every detail I had of the sighting," he said.
"I thought the system knew."
Mr Hutcheon said he was aware at the time Ms Dawson had left the marital home.

"I made a very, very, very big mistake by not stopping the car in the first place and talking to Lyn.
"I just didn't realise the implications of the whole issue."

"Mr Hutcheon said he was well acquainted with Lynette Dawson after she and her husband came to live with him for three months while their house was being built.
He claimed he turned around several minutes down the road but by the time he returned to the bus stop the woman he thought was Lynette Dawson was gone."

In 1980 when she was 16 years old and only two years before he's alleged to have murdered Lyn ... disgusting creep I could spit.

Former star rugby league player Chris Dawson has appeared in the District Court on a charge of carnal knowledge, dating back to his time as a PE teacher on Sydney’s northern beaches.

FTY1

All Australian
Jul 14, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
In 1980 when she was 16 years old and only two years before he's alleged to have murdered Lyn ... disgusting creep I could spit.

Former star rugby league player Chris Dawson has appeared in the District Court on a charge of carnal knowledge, dating back to his time as a PE teacher on Sydney’s northern beaches.

1581663696180.png

This is the charge from last year, one we already knew about.

Oh ... I've still got that article open. His brother and wife are dagging around with him everywhere so he's got a lawyer on his hip at all times. A lawyer who's also a witness.

At the time of his arrest in June 2019, police said the charge related to a girl who was 16-years-old in 1980.
The charge was mentioned briefly in the District Court on Friday before being held over until midday, April 3.
That’s the same date Mr Dawson has been ordered to appear in the Supreme Court for arraignment on the murder charge.

Mr Dawson’s brother, Peter Dawson, and a woman believed to be Peter Dawson’s wife, accompanied him to District Court after previously attending each day of the committal hearing.

FTY1

All Australian
Jul 14, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
It's funny the defence are perhaps hinting at a 2 pronged attack. 4 witnesses who thought they saw Lyn after the time of her disappearance and alleged murder. The second the suggestion that perhaps it was a teenage baby sitter that perhaps had a motive. If Lyn did in fact leave, then the motive for the teenager is no longer there. The motive for the accused is still there if she is showing up around random hospitals in Sydney.

He's applying for a permanent stay of proceedings and he might imo get it. pfft.

Former Sydney teacher Chris Dawson's legal team will file for a permanent stay of proceedings, which could mean he won't face a murder trial over his wife's disappearance.

• A Sydney judge said restrictions caused by the coronavirus pandemic would make proceedings challenging
  • Multiple witnesses who claimed to see Lynette Dawson alive after her disappearance will be involved
  • A date for the trial has not yet been set

FTY1

All Australian
Jul 14, 2018
AFL Club
GWS

So no permanent stay of proceedings but trial won't occur until at least 1 June 2021. This is because of a podcast we are not allowed to mention by a national newspaper we are not allowed to mention and an investigative journalist we are not allowed to mention.

"Justice Elizabeth Fullerton declined this month to grant a permanent stay, but agreed to a temporary stay which means any jury trial cannot proceed until after June 1, 2021."

" The stay application directed "particular focus and considerable criticism" at "the format, style and content of a serialised podcast produced and presented by an investigative journalist employed by a national newspaper" between May and December 2018. "

Remove this Banner Ad

Back