The Tex Illness & Strachan Selection

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Good to see a debut, but I'm finding this a bit weird. There's a few bits of information that don't seem to fit together too well. Fogarty can't play because his shoulder isn't right yet, but he needs to be in the 26 so he can undertake competitive work. How does competitive work that will impact on his shoulder improve bone bruising? Shouldn't he be avoiding impact to his shoulder if it's not yet right. And why not Fish, a game as 1 of 2 focal points instead of 3 would have been handy and surely he can be managed out of Wednesday's game instead as Tex returns. Apparently we only travelled with Mackay and Strachan, so McAsey couldn't play. Now, I don't know this Simeon Thomas-Wilson person or their source, but they provide pretty specific information that Nicksy got the Tex call at 5:30 pre-flight to QLD. So at that point, for a small fine, we've got an entire list to choose from or no fine, we've got Fish as an option. Seems a little odd sequence of events.

72D715E2-63AB-411E-AF58-7C5E8EB43DDA.png

Good to see a debut, but I'm finding this a bit weird. There's a few bits of information that don't seem to fit together too well. Fogarty can't play because his shoulder isn't right yet, but he needs to be in the 26 so he can undertake competitive work. How does competitive work that will impact on his shoulder improve bone bruising? Shouldn't he be avoiding impact to his shoulder if it's not yet right. And why not Fish, a game as 1 of 2 focal points instead of 3 would have been handy and surely he can be managed out of Wednesday's game instead as Tex returns. Apparently we only travelled with Mackay and Strachan, so McAsey couldn't play. Now, I don't know this Simeon Thomas-Wilson person or their source, but they provide pretty specific information that Nicksy got the Tex call at 5:30 pre-flight to QLD. So at that point, for a small fine, we've got an entire list to choose from or no fine, we've got Fish as an option. Seems a little odd sequence of events.

View attachment 925255

I suppose it was a good chance to answer some questions that were no doubt baffling the coaches. Namely:

- How many talls do you need within 5m of each other for at least one to grab a contested mark from a kick down the line? (Answer: Apparently more than 3 for us. No data available for Kangaroos as they only took uncontested marks)

- What does it look like to have two ruckmen at full forward for an I50 entry? (Answer: Two baby giraffes rollerblading on ice).

I suppose they thought Strachan might not get outbodied as badly as McAsey has been. What is baffling though is why with that logic Himmelberg is in the team? Why is that experiment still ongoing?

At least we've learned that we don't make good decisions at 5.30am

I suppose it was a good chance to answer some questions that were no doubt baffling the coaches. Namely:

- How many talls do you need within 5m of each other for at least one to grab a contested mark from a kick down the line? (Answer: Apparently more than 3 for us. No data available for Kangaroos as they only took uncontested marks)

- What does it look like to have two ruckmen at full forward for an I50 entry? (Answer: Two baby giraffes rollerblading on ice).

I suppose they thought Strachan might not get outbodied as badly as McAsey has been. What is baffling though is why with that logic Himmelberg is in the team? Why is that experiment still ongoing?
Himmelberg should not be in that team. Looks like a bloody clydesdale horse cloping around out there. McAsey and Worrell should have played yesterday. McAsey could have torn the game apart against essendon if those numerous nearly marks stuck which they will shortly. Then Nicks drops him and looks like an even bigger fool when walker pulls out for who knows why. Its not that hard Nicks. Your making things harder for yourself than need be.

In regards to Strachan I said last year that we should delist him. Nothing against the lad but he isn't an AFL footballer.

Last edited:
No issues with giving Strachen a run. 204cm key forward / ruck On the list - need to see what he’s got.

He’s awkward, but he does have some ability

As much as I don't want to slag the guy, but he's never going to be an AFL player.

He's 25 in a couple of months and even from watching him in the SANFL, he's only ever been a serviceable player that is able to do just enough to hold his own.

I would be shocked if he ever plays another game for us, yesterday was one of those rare occasions where the stars aligned and he ended up being gifted a game.

As much as Himmelberg frustrates me and reminds me a bit of Shaun McKernan, there is far more value in him playing than Strachan.

As much as I don't want to slag the guy, but he's never going to be an AFL player.

He's 25 in a couple of months and even from watching him in the SANFL, he's only ever been a serviceable player that is able to do just enough to hold his own.

I would be shocked if he ever plays another game for us, yesterday was one of those rare occasions where the stars aligned and he ended up being gifted a game.

As much as Himmelberg frustrates me and reminds me a bit of Shaun McKernan, there is far more value in him playing than Strachan.
Shaun Mckernan would be vying for the captaincy if he was still with us, and that's not a complement to him

That was hilarious and shows the quality of our coaching.

Strachan was doing exactly what he's been coached to do which is exactly what ROB has also been coached to do.

No flexibility to alter the chosen method in the face of changed circumstances. No coach thought to tell them to get the hell out of each other's way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the sort of decision that just emphasizes how much Nicks is out of his depth and desperately needs a senior assistant next year. Fogarty was named as an emergency and was the perfect replacement for Tex, if he was not fit, he should not have been an emergency and Frampton should have been in his place.

McAsey should have been next in line to come into the side. Strachan, as much as he gave it all, is no where near it as a forward at AFL level. He should only be getting a game as a ruck. Not as a key forward.

We were left ridiculously exposed up forward and had nobody who could even compete for a mark.

People are really struggling to grasp that you need to gradually increase the intensity of contact work, Bone bruising tends to linger and often presents as a minor sprain or strain at first. Probably feels good to go but the medical team would wanna see how his shoulder responds to contact so we don't get 5 mins into a game and have Fog out. Will probably also struggle with short breaks as his recovery is gonna be slow for a while

People are really struggling to grasp that you need to gradually increase the intensity of contact work, Bone bruising tends to linger and often presents as a minor sprain or strain at first. Probably feels good to go but the medical team would wanna see how his shoulder responds to contact so we don't get 5 mins into a game and have Fog out. Will probably also struggle with short breaks as his recovery is gonna be slow for a while
Yes that is all good but why was he an emergency if he wasn't ready? Frampton should have been named in his spot and would have been a much better inclusion than Strachan, or they should have just brought McAsey in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back