The Toon Army Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

1-0 loss - bloody frustrating.

Joselu seemed to give us more structure. Merino was class. Manquillo was okay in attack but caught out defensively a few times. Back 4 were okay - as good as you can expect a back 4 missing our first choice RB, CB and LB I suppose.

Diame came on for Hayden.
Murphy for Perez.

Really not much quality there. Murphy still young and raw - and unproven in the PL.

Ashley needs to start spending or we're in trouble.

NUFC Tiger, any chance of a NE reunion next season btw?
Careful mate, the mods are a bit stroppy as it is at the moment. You don't need a third one out and about. (That said, he's already failing his moderator promise, lol.)

That said, quite disappointing to lose to the team that one came up with. Hudderfield showing some fight compared to toothless Brighton.

1-0 loss - bloody frustrating.

Joselu seemed to give us more structure. Merino was class. Manquillo was okay in attack but caught out defensively a few times. Back 4 were okay - as good as you can expect a back 4 missing our first choice RB, CB and LB I suppose.

Diame came on for Hayden.
Murphy for Perez.

Really not much quality there. Murphy still young and raw - and unproven in the PL.

Ashley needs to start spending or we're in trouble.

Joselu did look ok. I think he could actually play next to Gayle, his touch was impressive, has he played number 10?
Manquillo cost us the goal, as he did against Spurs. He was OK going forward, but not good enough to excuse the defensive lapses.
Merino was ok in parts, but made plenty of mistakes I thought. He will be better for the run but don't think he was amazing. Moving forward we should only play 1 of him and Hayden. Both too defensively minded, we need more creativity. Shelvey's obviously that guy, but he can't be trusted.

Perez was diabolical. I was a big fan of his when he started out as he provided a real spark, but he's gone backwards. We need someone else in his role.

2-0 thanks to Clark - and breathe haha.

Plus Riviere sold and De Jong seemingly about to be sold to Ajax. Couple of big wage earners gone - maybe frees up some money for last min signings...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NUFC Tiger, any chance of a NE reunion next season btw?

Careful mate, the mods are a bit stroppy as it is at the moment. You don't need a third one out and about. (That said, he's already failing his moderator promise, lol.)

That said, quite disappointing to lose to the team that one came up with. Hudderfield showing some fight compared to toothless Brighton.

Oi! Early days still - we may have just bounced back with a nice win. Maybe you lads will be the giants of League One with that defending so a reunion may be a way off still. ;)

De Jong to Ajax for 4m.

Wonder if we'll get anyone in before the window closes? Even saw rumours of Gayle to Wolves.

I am sure we will sign some Championship player or maybe a Ligue 2 under 21 superstar who will return home on loan in January.

Probably. :D

Read something the other day that said since Cashley has come in we are the only PL club not to break our record transfer. Just shows his ambitions for the club I guess.

I actually thought Ashley was honest this window, kept saying we want to make movements and he is open to it but people must remember he's not football rich and then Rafa seemed to be quiet all period

Maybe Rafa just wanted guys that were unobtainable?

Really underwhelming end to the window (thank god we signed Martin to a new deal to balance it out haha).

Worrying signs when we loaned (arguably) our best keeper to a relegation rival Brighton, cleared out a number of deadwood players in the final week (Riviere, De Jong, Hanley, Krul, Lazaar) clearing a big chunk of wages and STILL couldn't bring in any reinforcements. Last minute talk of loans fell through. Dummett is out for another month I think. Colback who was supposedly on his way out seems to have been included in the 25 man squad purely out of necessity.

Overall, I think the signings we did make are good additions. Lejuene shouldn't be far away and the same for Yedlin. Shelvey's ban is over. Merino had a blinder for the Spain U21s and Mitro scored for Serbia again (he still has a 3 match ban though) so there are some positives I guess. Slim pickings...

Our only hope is keeping Rafa who's tactical nous and experience should give him an edge over most managers in the league.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back