Discussion The Unfortunate Case of the Rising Star Award, and it's future in sweet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gir-09.jpg The Rising Star award is a prestigious recognition for the most promising young players in the sweet football association. However, in recent years, it has lost its significance and relevance, becoming a mere afterthought in the end-of-season awards ceremony. This is a shame, as the award has a rich history and a potential to inspire future generations of sweet footballers.

We need to revive and reform the Rising Star award, by establishing clear and consistent criteria for eligibility and selection, and by giving it a proper name and identity that reflects its importance and honours its past winners.

First, we need to define what makes a player a rising star. How the voting is carried out. What criteria a player is judged on. Currently, there is no official guidelines for what constitutes a "Rising Star," often being awarded on vibe, or popularity. There isn't even a minimum number of games played for the award, all of which leads to confusion and inconsistency.

I propose that we set a fixed games played trigger for the award, say, less than 4 games played before the season starts, and a minimum of 6 games played during the season, for a player to be eligible for the Rising Star award. This way, we can ensure that the award goes to the best young talent in the league, who have shown enough potential and performance to deserve recognition.

The other criteria will need to be fleshed out. Do we look at Fantasy stats, posting numbers, popularity, or a combination of all? How do we assess players who may not play in high scoring roles or positions in the side? This will need to be decided upon.

Additionally, we need to give the Rising Star award a proper name and identity that reflects its importance and honours its past winners. Currently, the award is simply called the Rising Star award, which is bland and generic, there is no excitement, no desire to win it. It doesn't even come with a badge. It does not capture the essence of what it means to be a rising star in sweet football, nor does it pay tribute to the legends who have won it before.

I suggest that we rename the award after one of its most iconic and tragic winners, Sun Ra. Sun Ra was a brilliant sweet footballer who won the Rising Star award in Season 34, but flew too close to the sun and flamed out in a blaze of glory. He was widely regarded as one of the best players of his generation, and had a bright future ahead of him. He was also known for his flamboyant style and personality, which made him a fan favourite and a media sensation. It seems fitting that the award be named after this legend of Sweet.

I propose that we call the award the Sun Ra Supernova award, to honour his memory and legacy, and to symbolize the explosive impact that a rising star can have on the sweet football world. The word supernova also conveys the idea of a star that shines brightly but briefly, which is both a blessing and a curse for many young players who struggle to cope with fame and pressure.

By renaming and reformulating the Rising Star award, we can restore its prestige and relevance, and make it a celebration of the best young talent in sweet football. We can also create a lasting tribute to Sun Ra, who embodied what it means to be a rising star in sweet football. We owe it to him, and to all the future stars who will follow in his footsteps.

I invite the class of Season 35, and all players to assist in bringing this award into the forefront of the Sweet awards season. To properly promote and recognise all new players to the League.

Frederico_WA as a previous winner, it would be great to have your feedback along with the rest of your class.
Kilroy & GWS Goose Your expert opinions are always welcome.

Last edited:

One of the ways I have previously set up my own voting on the award, was to take the rookie list and rank each player on the following metrics.
1. Posting stats
2. Fantasy score
3. Position difficulty
4. Memorability

Developing a top 10 with the highest ranked player receiving a 10, down to 1. (each subsequent player after 10 receiving the lowest score.)

These scores were then combined to generate a final result, then provided to Falconista for their consolidation - I'm not sure how everyone else voted and would be keen to get some feedback.

All it needs is for someone to actually pick it up and commit to it. Not at the end of the season either. One of the greatest benefits of the Rising Star award was that it was a vehicle to introduce rookies to the wider league and to encourage further participation through recognition.

Edit: once upon a time, it was also a vehicle to introduce second-season posters to media creation in a format that required little thought or creativity. Content creation is the lifeblood of the forum.

All it needs is for someone to actually pick it up and commit to it. Not at the end of the season either. One of the greatest benefits of the Rising Star award was that it was a vehicle to introduce rookies to the wider league and to encourage further participation through recognition.
Having it handled by the previous years class seems to have not worked. A lot suffer from second year blues, or get busy with their own profile to really care.

Having it handled by the previous years class seems to have not worked. A lot suffer from second year blues, or get busy with their own profile to really care.
I agree to an extent. It fell over largely to the award becoming overcomplicated and difficult to manage.

I agree to an extent. It fell over largely to the award becoming overcomplicated and difficult to manage.
So we need to be looking for simplicity.

I think a chair, and 3x members for voting. Would also help to spread the load for interviews with the new class.

The chair as a reasonably constant figure across seasons, the 3x from the previous year as gophers as opposed to being expected to manage it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we need to be looking for simplicity.

I think a chair, and 3x members for voting. Would also help to spread the load for interviews with the new class.

The chair as a reasonably constant figure across seasons, the 3x from the previous year as gophers as opposed to being expected to manage it.
Sounds familiar TheInjuryFactory?

I agree with this—- one season one of the organisers demanded that an entire sophomore class be available to post the awards night on a Friday night during the footy season.

The award should be an opportunity for the sophomore class to have fun, insult the rookies & give away a novel award. That can occur without turning the Rising Star into a part time job

View attachment 1828743The Rising Star award is a prestigious recognition for the most promising young players in the sweet football association. However, in recent years, it has lost its significance and relevance, becoming a mere afterthought in the end-of-season awards ceremony. This is a shame, as the award has a rich history and a potential to inspire future generations of sweet footballers.

We need to revive and reform the Rising Star award, by establishing clear and consistent criteria for eligibility and selection, and by giving it a proper name and identity that reflects its importance and honours its past winners.

First, we need to define what makes a player a rising star. How the voting is carried out. What criteria a player is judged on. Currently, there is no official guidelines for what constitutes a "Rising Star," often being awarded on vibe, or popularity. There isn't even a minimum number of games played for the award, all of which leads to confusion and inconsistency.

I propose that we set a fixed games played trigger for the award, say, less than 4 games played before the season starts, and a minimum of 6 games played during the season, for a player to be eligible for the Rising Star award. This way, we can ensure that the award goes to the best young talent in the league, who have shown enough potential and performance to deserve recognition.

The other criteria will need to be fleshed out. Do we look at Fantasy stats, posting numbers, popularity, or a combination of all? How do we assess players who may not play in high scoring roles or positions in the side? This will need to be decided upon.

Additionally, we need to give the Rising Star award a proper name and identity that reflects its importance and honours its past winners. Currently, the award is simply called the Rising Star award, which is bland and generic, there is no excitement, no desire to win it. It doesn't even come with a badge. It does not capture the essence of what it means to be a rising star in sweet football, nor does it pay tribute to the legends who have won it before.

I suggest that we rename the award after one of its most iconic and tragic winners, Sun Ra. Sun Ra was a brilliant sweet footballer who won the Rising Star award in Season 34, but flew too close to the sun and flamed out in a blaze of glory. He was widely regarded as one of the best players of his generation, and had a bright future ahead of him. He was also known for his flamboyant style and personality, which made him a fan favourite and a media sensation. It seems fitting that the award be named after this legend of Sweet.

I propose that we call the award the Sun Ra Supernova award, to honour his memory and legacy, and to symbolize the explosive impact that a rising star can have on the sweet football world. The word supernova also conveys the idea of a star that shines brightly but briefly, which is both a blessing and a curse for many young players who struggle to cope with fame and pressure.

By renaming and reformulating the Rising Star award, we can restore its prestige and relevance, and make it a celebration of the best young talent in sweet football. We can also create a lasting tribute to Sun Ra, who embodied what it means to be a rising star in sweet football. We owe it to him, and to all the future stars who will follow in his footsteps.

I invite the class of Season 35, and all players to assist in bringing this award into the forefront of the Sweet awards season. To properly promote and recognise all new players to the League.

Frederico_WA as a previous winner, it would be great to have your feedback along with the rest of your class.
Kilroy & GWS Goose Your expert opinions are always welcome.
It's not an actual award.

I agree with this—- one season one of the organisers demanded that an entire sophomore class be available to post the awards night on a Friday night during the footy season.

The award should be an opportunity for the sophomore class to have fun, insult the rookies & give away a novel award. That can occur without turning the Rising Star into a part time job
The award should be an opportunity to integrate rookies into the league and provide an easy avenue for second-season posters to dip their toes into media creation

And that, in itself, is part of the problem.
EKA Medal. You won it.

League already has a rookie award that is on the money.

Rising Star is media masquerading as an award.

EKA Medal mate.

Rising Star is media masquerading as an award.
My understanding was the EKA is on media and presence.

The Rising Star was meant to be for Qooty performance.

The fact that there is no definition really for either, or at least understood definition, is what I'd like to rectify.

I "won" both, but aside from knowing that the EKA comes with a curse, no nothing else.

My understanding was the EKA is on media and presence.

The fact that there is no definition really for either, or at least understood definition, is what I'd like to rectify.

I "won" both, but aside from knowing that the EKA comes with a curse, no nothing else.
For the EKA there is.

Is it? It's been whatever successive rookie classes decided it to be depending on how much they wanted to boost their own profiles.

It's media for second season players to make a name for themselves by awarding a rookie a faux award. Always has been.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back