Discussion The Unfortunate Case of the Rising Star Award, and it's future in sweet.

Remove this Banner Ad

My understanding was the EKA is on media and presence.

The Rising Star was meant to be for Qooty performance.

The fact that there is no definition really for either, or at least understood definition, is what I'd like to rectify.

I "won" both, but aside from knowing that the EKA comes with a curse, no nothing else.
Any award for a coin toss should be taken with a grain of salt.

Never been married, huh?
My wife said to me the other day "You haven't listened to a single word I've said for the last twenty minutes have you?"
I thought... Funny way to start a conversation.

FMD dead, this again? Why are you lot reinventing the wheel?

Here's a logo.

1697064435028.png

Here's the sausageroll medal for the Rising Star winner.

1697064345830.png

Here's an award for the best rookie on-field.

1697064553125.png

1697064615278.png

Here's an award for the best rookie off-field.

1697064779578.png
1697064882922.png

GremioPower will project manage it, he's the best in the business.

Don't make me repeat myself any further.

Any further.

Damnit.​

Here's a logo.

View attachment 1829004

View attachment 1829002

View attachment 1829008

View attachment 1829009

View attachment 1829010
View attachment 1829012

Any further.

Damnit.​
I'm sorry.. What?

Here's a logo.

View attachment 1829004

View attachment 1829002

View attachment 1829008

View attachment 1829009

View attachment 1829010
View attachment 1829012

Any further.

Damnit.​

It is S36

Fair point, and was thinking this too based on the ā€œcriteriaā€ for the EEK.

How do we judge those that are playing in less than ideal positions though? Are the scores weighted based on position?
It'd be doable. Figure out the average DT for position and compare that to the rookie numbers in those positions and how far ahead of the average they are. Would be a start I guess. That was my plan.

Just on the name change proposal, while I like Sun Ra, this thing should be officially named after sausageroll.

1. You're reinventing the wheel. Don't need to.

I first did these in s30. Point is the templates are there.
1. It was a joke. for you to repeat yourself.
2. So why haven't they been used since?

Also, I'm still yet to see the joke around sausageroll

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While you're not wrong, some people froth over the mobbs. It's no different from the RS in my eyes, the only difference being the RS is a good avenue for rookies to engage.
yeah, fixed.

I wholly support renaming it the "Sun Ra Supernova," old dude deserves a tribute.

I suspect that will not be allowed.

Congrats to the OP for picking this up. In my first year the RS was a great intro to media beyond match threads for rookies like me.

I expect efforts to make something simple bigger than Texas made it too complicated and too much of a chore.

Not sure it needs to be renamed but if it was Iā€™d support Barrybran lending his name to the title. Baz made sterling contributions to the RS and thereby Rookies for a number of seasons.

View attachment 1828743The Rising Star award is a prestigious recognition for the most promising young players in the sweet football association. However, in recent years, it has lost its significance and relevance, becoming a mere afterthought in the end-of-season awards ceremony. This is a shame, as the award has a rich history and a potential to inspire future generations of sweet footballers.

We need to revive and reform the Rising Star award, by establishing clear and consistent criteria for eligibility and selection, and by giving it a proper name and identity that reflects its importance and honours its past winners.

First, we need to define what makes a player a rising star. How the voting is carried out. What criteria a player is judged on. Currently, there is no official guidelines for what constitutes a "Rising Star," often being awarded on vibe, or popularity. There isn't even a minimum number of games played for the award, all of which leads to confusion and inconsistency.

I propose that we set a fixed games played trigger for the award, say, less than 4 games played before the season starts, and a minimum of 6 games played during the season, for a player to be eligible for the Rising Star award. This way, we can ensure that the award goes to the best young talent in the league, who have shown enough potential and performance to deserve recognition.

The other criteria will need to be fleshed out. Do we look at Fantasy stats, posting numbers, popularity, or a combination of all? How do we assess players who may not play in high scoring roles or positions in the side? This will need to be decided upon.

Additionally, we need to give the Rising Star award a proper name and identity that reflects its importance and honours its past winners. Currently, the award is simply called the Rising Star award, which is bland and generic, there is no excitement, no desire to win it. It doesn't even come with a badge. It does not capture the essence of what it means to be a rising star in sweet football, nor does it pay tribute to the legends who have won it before.

I suggest that we rename the award after one of its most iconic and tragic winners, Sun Ra. Sun Ra was a brilliant sweet footballer who won the Rising Star award in Season 34, but flew too close to the sun and flamed out in a blaze of glory. He was widely regarded as one of the best players of his generation, and had a bright future ahead of him. He was also known for his flamboyant style and personality, which made him a fan favourite and a media sensation. It seems fitting that the award be named after this legend of Sweet.

I propose that we call the award the Sun Ra Supernova award, to honour his memory and legacy, and to symbolize the explosive impact that a rising star can have on the sweet football world. The word supernova also conveys the idea of a star that shines brightly but briefly, which is both a blessing and a curse for many young players who struggle to cope with fame and pressure.

By renaming and reformulating the Rising Star award, we can restore its prestige and relevance, and make it a celebration of the best young talent in sweet football. We can also create a lasting tribute to Sun Ra, who embodied what it means to be a rising star in sweet football. We owe it to him, and to all the future stars who will follow in his footsteps.

I invite the class of Season 35, and all players to assist in bringing this award into the forefront of the Sweet awards season. To properly promote and recognise all new players to the League.

Frederico_WA as a previous winner, it would be great to have your feedback along with the rest of your class.
Kilroy & GWS Goose Your expert opinions are always welcome.

This thread helps understanding what is the award:

It has links to all the RS editions up to S29.

I think it is a super important award.
Im on holidays at the moment so cant fully give thoughts on this.

I think the weekly nominations are essential for bringing the rookies into the wider SFA community

I think ideally it should be run by second year players. But it doesnt seem to be happening well.

DragoDelph, as Tonga Bob has said, I can help, if needed.

There are others who love the RS award, like Ant Bear and Barrybran. They might help as well.
Cheers GP - will check out that thread a little later too.
I think it is a super important award.
Im on holidays at the moment so cant fully give thoughts on this.

I think the weekly nominations are essential for bringing the rookies into the wider SFA community

I think ideally it should be run by second year players. But it doesnt seem to be happening well.
Thanks mate. Really appreciate any insight or input.

And yeah, I think it needs a designated driver.
Whoa. You start a thread about rookie awards and wonder why it should be named after sausageroll? Wow.
The legend of the bakehouse master was never relayed to me, no. Perhaps because there has been no solidity and focus? That's what I'm trying to work on, to improve the space for all future rooks

Kilroy & GWS Goose Your expert opinions are always welcome.
My experience has been that each seasonā€™s sophomores interpret the process differently.

My understanding of the general structure of the Rising Star is that itā€™s awarded for a combination of posting and Qooty scores - the quality of a rookieā€™s performance in both areas.

The split into the Gun and the Torch in S30 helped to embed a 50/50 split between posting and Qooty, but you ended up with 3 medals when one would do fine.

Nevertheless, to evaluate the posting side it still seems wise to have each voter submit their top 10 posters and those votes be tallied up overall.

The quantity of posting may be considered, but the question really should be about the quality - in matchthreads and/or in media. Samples of posting can assist with this evaluation.

The Qooty side would also be compiled into a top 10
How do we judge those that are playing in less than ideal positions though? Are the scores weighted based on position?
This could be determined by each rookieā€™s Qooty DT points, adjusted for the position(s) played.

However, no voter evaluation would be required for this top 10, and the adjustments would hopefully account for any prime-position bias.
It'd be doable. Figure out the average DT for position and compare that to the rookie numbers in those positions and how far ahead of the average they are. Would be a start I guess. That was my plan.
Thatā€™s not a bad solution, but some players move around a bit too, so that would need to be accounted for as well.

Once both the overall top 10 in posting and the top 10 from adjusted DT points are decided, the two sides can be added together for the final Rising Star order.

Most important is the flexibility Ant Bear saw as essential for accommodating each seasonā€™s sophomores preferred modifications or improvements.

The involvement of nominations, interviews and media are the kinds of tools that can really drive engagement with rookies and vice versa.

Engaging the sophomores is often best served behind the scenes away from personas and club loyalties, but a bit of competition wouldnā€™t hurt.

Thereā€™s always some goose willing to jump in at the last minute. šŸ˜†

Remove this Banner Ad

Back