Discussion The Unfortunate Case of the Rising Star Award, and it's future in sweet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it? It's been whatever successive rookie classes decided it to be depending on how much they wanted to boost their own profiles.

It's media for second season players to make a name for themselves by awarding a rookie a faux award. Always has been.
Doesn't mean it should always be that way.

Is it? It's been whatever successive rookie classes decided it to be depending on how much they wanted to boost their own profiles.

It's media for second season players to make a name for themselves by awarding a rookie a faux award. Always has been.
That's an extremely cynical way of looking at things, the thing that sets it apart from the EKA is that it's removed from committee and club agendas. It's just a group of sophomores making an assessment. It's also a way of involving people . I'll say that I enjoyed the process last season, especially the opportunity to work with some people and having the opportunity to get to know them a bit better. Sometimes you need to be able to look past your nose.

It's a bit of fun, nothing more than that, something which is sadly lacking in the SFA in s36.

Team, as previous keepers of the award in one form or another, keen to get your feelings on this one.
I'm a fan of it, but freely admit that's a minority view. Personally, I'd wait until a new Admin is elected and see what their feelings are. As we saw with Heritage Round season, KP had put a lot of thought and passion into it and it was a success. An admin who likes it may be able to similarly inject some life into it. Conversely, if they are a hater, then it might be better to do media pieces about the rookies in whatever beez-season form people want. LGs should be getting around their rooks and pumping them up as it is.

If I'm not mistaken, okeydoke7 and Ant Bear were responsible for its introduction so may have opinions on whether they think the Rising Star is achieving the objectives they had in mind.

This is a call to arms for Membling & MayTheNorthBeWithU as last years award winners. What do you feel the Rising Star should represent, and how do you feel the process was handled?
Haven’t been around these parts too long but I don’t see why we shouldn’t have a rising star award.

As others have touched on (and especially for me) the SFA is a place for fun and to escape reality a bit… from my POV there should be a rising star award… without that connection last year and the tracking of that award I wouldn’t have engaged all that much with some great people in the league

It's a bit of fun, nothing more than that
Thats entirely and solely my point. That's exactly what it has always been. A bit of fun. Nothing more.

Also love the cynicism in your own post about 'agendas' as you accuse someone of being cynical.

Champagne stuff 😘👌

🤣

That's an extremely cynical way of looking at things, the thing that sets it apart from the EKA is that it's removed from committee and club agendas. It's just a group of sophomores making an assessment. It's also a way of involving people . I'll say that I enjoyed the process last season, especially the opportunity to work with some people and having the opportunity to get to know them a bit better. Sometimes you need to be able to look past your nose.

It's a bit of fun, nothing more than that, something which is sadly lacking in the SFA in s36.
So stick with a handful of the last years cohort you reckon? Still think it needs to be chaired, even if it’s just someone with a poking stick so it stays on track.
I'm a fan of it, but freely admit that's a minority view. Personally, I'd wait until a new Admin is elected and see what their feelings are. As we saw with Heritage Round season, KP had put a lot of thought and passion into it and it was a success. An admin who likes it may be able to similarly inject some life into it. Conversely, if they are a hater, then it might be better to do media pieces about the rookies in whatever beez-season form people want. LGs should be getting around their rooks and pumping them up as it is.

If I'm not mistaken, okeydoke7 and Ant Bear were responsible for its introduction so may have opinions on whether they think the Rising Star is achieving the objectives they had in mind.
I think it’s only a minority view because it hasn’t been given the attention it deserves.
Haven’t been around these parts too long but I don’t see why we shouldn’t have a rising star award.

As others have touched on (and especially for me) the SFA is a place for fun and to escape reality a bit… from my POV there should be a rising star award… without that connection last year and the tracking of that award I wouldn’t have engaged all that much with some great people in the league
Thanks for the feedback. That’s a good point.

So stick with a handful of the last years cohort you reckon? Still think it needs to be chaired, even if it’s just someone with a poking stick so it stays on track.

I think it’s only a minority view because it hasn’t been given the attention it deserves.

Thanks for the feedback. That’s a good point.
Last season we had Falconista and Kilroy to guide us and support us, I'm not sure that it needs to be chaired as such. Anyway, we hand the baton off and see how the s35 rookies go.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I won the EKA … krakouers won the Rising Star

We should delete the Rising Star from Sweet FA history
You won an EKA?

I don’t want mine anymore, doesn’t seem to hold any value.

Something can be fun, AND official.

The two aren’t mutually exclusive.
Of course, that's true, dependent on who is driving the official things and how much they involve others in the process. I still think that the Rising Star presents an opportunity to bring people together, give them a sense of involvement and maybe play some part in keeping them interested.

I think that we all understand that the EKA is the official award, having the RS doesn't detract from it.

I still think that the Rising Star presents an opportunity to bring people together, give them a sense of involvement and maybe play some part in keeping them interested.

I think that we all understand that the EKA is the official award, having the RS doesn't detract from it.
I don't think anyone is arguing that. Not even me.

Not at all. Was involved myself in my 2nd season.

Became way overs in recent times, but it has it's place.

No please, I'm fascinated.

Do tell me more about these committee/club agendas you speak of...

👇
I don't have any detailed theory on that matter, I'm just saying that perspectives would be different. Clubs are going to push their own rookies and lobby for them through their reps at committee level. That wasn't a thing at RS level at all.

The Rising Star originated as an Ant Bear media concept. I always thought part of the charm was that it's a handmedown for second season players to appraise rookies who are in the spot they were in not long ago, and that they have the creative freedom to run it how they see fit.

It looks like it's more of an emotional investment / effort issue rather than a structural thing. Could easily see it making a comeback as soon as an energised sophomore class wants to make it their own.

I don't have any detailed theory on that matter, I'm just saying that perspectives would be different. Clubs are going to push their own rookies and lobby for them through their reps at committee level. That wasn't a thing at RS level at all.
Can I let you in on a committee secret? They don't. Not one iota.

The way clubs help their players win the EKA is generally by feeding them media ideas and keeping them engaged & active in their match threads so other clubs notice them.

The Rising Star has a place, it's a great media concept and right of passage, but the EKA is the one that really counts.

Something can be fun, AND official.

The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

News flash, Sweet F.A.:

It's ALL "just for fun." This odd distinction some draw between "official" and "informal" awards is ultimately nonsense.

I cannot stress enough my belief that posting stats should be kept well away from the Rising Star. Sure, don't give the RS to an inactive, but we already have a popularity contest for rookies. RS should be purely sim based.

I cannot stress enough my belief that posting stats should be kept well away from the Rising Star. Sure, don't give the RS to an inactive, but we already have a popularity contest for rookies. RS should be purely sim based.
Fair point, and was thinking this too based on the “criteria” for the EEK.

How do we judge those that are playing in less than ideal positions though? Are the scores weighted based on position?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back