These bloody injuries

Remove this Banner Ad

deano_66

Senior List
Oct 1, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
It has been truely unbelievable. I think whatever the outcome of the year it has been a successful one as we have seen what the team is capable of. Buckley must’ve run over a cat with the bad luck he has had with injuries. Never can I remember a team having so many injuries to key players and still being able to be second and looking a threat. Now with Dunn that is Dunn, Treloar, Moore, Elliot, Reid, Varcoe, Fasolo, Goldsack, De goey missing the first 4, Aish and Wells with most of these guys barely playing. Also in that group Moore, Elliot, De Goey, Treloar, Dunn, Wells very important and the others also important in their roles for the team to succeed

Crisitunity is the word that springs to mind! Lose a soldier replace them with another. The hubris over injuries is more frustrating than the actual injuries to me. The most important person at a football club is the player with the ball in their hand so the sooner people move from focusing on what we don’t have to what we do have the better off we’ll be.

It has been truely unbelievable. I think whatever the outcome of the year it has been a successful one as we have seen what the team is capable of. Buckley must’ve run over a cat with the bad luck he has had with injuries. Never can I remember a team having so many injuries to key players and still being able to be second and looking a threat. Now with Dunn that is Dunn, Treloar, Moore, Elliot, Reid, Varcoe, Fasolo, Goldsack, De goey missing the first 4, Aish and Wells with most of these guys barely playing. Also in that group Moore, Elliot, De Goey, Treloar, Dunn, Wells very important and the others also important in their roles for the team to succeed

I am trying not to smash a fist through something (soft and giving) or simply cry. Is it actually statistically possible for a team to continually (almost on a weekly basis) lose key players season after season? We thought the worst had happened during the past few years but the nightmare has reached epic proportions. What tears me apart is that in this even season we would be a huge chance to pinch a flag if Moore, Reid, Varcoe, Elliott and Wells had been up and about all year. Imagine Treloar and Dunn were fighting fit. We are going to suffer yet more heartache. What also burns me up is when we play other teams in the coming weeks and inevitably lose to the top tier, ignorant fans and media pundits will say we were pretenders who got found out rather than a decimated team ripe for the picking.

Crisitunity is the word that springs to mind! Lose a soldier replace them with another. The hubris over injuries is more frustrating than the actual injuries to me. The most important person at a football club is the player with the ball in their hand so the sooner people move from focusing on what we don’t have to what we do have the better off we’ll be.

Yawn. Cliches don't win you games of footy-good players do. That notion of soldiers stepping up will only take you so far. You can get away with it with a couple down. Beyond that you get stretched. The logic behind your comments escapes me. If one soldier is as good as any other, why did the soldiers who got picked first get a game ahead of those who didn't? Answer-because they are better players! Take enough "better players" out of your side and bingo-you are no longer as good a team.
"The most important person at a football club is the player with the ball in their hand"- Profound but meaningless. Who would you rather had the ball in his hands in September in the heat of a final? Elliott or Crocker? Treloar or Sier? McLarty or Dunn? Varcoe or Daicos?

Flip side - Mihocek, Appleby, Sier, Phillips, Daicos, Brown, all get to 50 games sooner and then we have both good depth and good experience.
At the beginning of the season I was planning holidays in September. I won’t be in 2019.

Yes I understand that for a couple of injuries you lose two maybe three tops of important players. We can also field a second team with our injuries let alone the injuries to our very important players so therefore I think your blatant response is irrelevant. If you go into other teams a couple of injuries and had hurt them severely and you can see the difference it makes. Adelaide Sloane and Laird come back and they win. Only Moore, Treloar and Dunn is the equivalent of Vlastuin, Martin and Riewoldt going down for Richmond not saying they’re all as good as them but in terms of importance for our team they are how do you think Richmond would go?

Injuries are a curse.No side can sustain the sort of injuries that we are copping and keep winning.Look at West Coast and Adelaide,they copped injuries to key players and they both fell in a hole.I fear the same thing will happen to us,because the attrition rate is just too high and we don't have the replacements.I'd just like to know why does Richmond never seem to cop the injuries that we get and other teams get?They seem to live a charmed life when it comes to injuries.

Probably POTY so far.

The cupboard is bare now
Dunn is our most important defender
Miocheck back
Mclarty/Reid forward
Hope for elliott and moore to play
Cameos from aish fasolo and murray
I agree with no injuries anything was possible this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's fair enough when its something like Mayne replacing Aish. Or Mihocek replacing Moore.

But there are players with such unique skillsets that I don't think the soldier in soldier out mentality applies to them.

I really hope you're right but I feel like we've been pushed over the precipice.
I've seen this movie before. And it doesn't have a happy ending.

Must come a tipping point. We had 9 players with under 50 games Saturday night, another 7 in the 50-100 range. If McLarty replaces Dunn (assuming the reports are accurate) that'll make 10 with less than 50. We've done surprising well to date all things considered but a couple of "lesser" opponents over the last few rounds has helped that. We now have a run of some quality teams so things could turn pear shaped very quickly.

Flip side - Mihocek, Appleby, Sier, Phillips, Daicos, Brown, all get to 50 games sooner and then we have both good depth and good experience.
At the beginning of the season I was planning holidays in September. I won’t be in 2019.
How do you know the injuries won't be worse in 2019?I thought it couldn't possibly be so bad in 2018 after all the crap we've been through.

Meanwhile Richmond are basically injury free. Does my head in.

Silver lining , we have a lot of young guys getting games into them.

Appelby, Stevo, Daics , Brown will be better for it next year.

We should get a good half a dozen games into McLarty and prime him for next year

How do you know the injuries won't be worse in 2019?I thought it couldn't possibly be so bad in 2018 after all the crap we've been through.

im all for being down in the moment of having injuries in 2018. However don't let it ruin your hopes of 2019. The experience our kids are getting is so valuable. Further to that , they are performing and holding their on.

You could say our season is Dunn and dusted. As for the soldier analogy, that theory didn't work so well for the ANZACs. Replacing a trench full of soldiers with another trench full of them just resulted in lots more dead soldiers rather than victory.
Those that do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it...

Exactly. For a start, there's a group of players who miss numerous games each year, and we have more of them than any other club, and none of those players are in the second fiddle section. Then there's players like Dunn, seemingly resilient types who succumb to innocuous looking but season ending injuries. This has been our fate for years and seems likely to continue in 2019 unless we completely turn over our list. If we were musicians we could go from a renowned world symphony orchestra to a suburban quartet in a season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back