Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Id argue its an indictment on old people that they dont have the self awareness to remember their old people saying the same thing but do carry on yelling at clouds.
Nah
s**t is s**t and there is no harm in saying it
Plenty of young musicians I like

Laural, Post Malone, Jai Wolf amongst others at the moment

Ohh youre so edgy and cool man.

Post Malone on a track with Taylor Swift must really rustle your jimmies.
Well you definitely aren’t cool trying to tell me whether I can say I don’t like particular music .
And yes I agree , I don’t have to listen to it , which I absolutely don’t , but I also have a right to an opinion on whether something is s**t or not

I like a bunch of different genres to be fair.

My standard workout playlist has Slipknot, Taylor, Public Enemy, Sebastian Bohm, Rise Against, Rolling Stones, Straylight Run, Tame Impala, Kendrick Lamar, Harry Styles.

Im really digging on country music at the moment.

Its just real boring to be like "I dont get why hundreds of millions of people really like this insanely talented and wildly successful artists because i dont".

I reckon 80% of what I listen to is metal, the rest is pretty much anything with good guitar in it. Jazz is awesome for this but it's a small doses kind of thing for me.

My workout playlist is full of corny pump up songs, "You're the Best Around", "Bound for Glory", "Playing to Win" ha ha

Nah

I listened to him before I went to see him last year (dragged along by my wife). Didn't like him on album, didn't like him in concert. Seems like a good bloke to have a beer with though.

I'm not going to call him s**t though, plenty of people seemed to like him, it's almost like everyone has different tastes!

Id argue its an indictment on old people that they dont have the self awareness to remember their old people saying the same thing but do carry on yelling at clouds.
For me there was nothing worse than partaking in some loud youthful rebellion and one my folks stuck their head around the door and said "Who's that, I quite like it". It was quite the vibe killer.

Well you definitely aren’t cool trying to tell me whether I can say I don’t like particular music .
And yes I agree , I don’t have to listen to it , which I absolutely don’t , but I also have a right to an opinion on whether something is s**t or not
At no point have i said you had to like something, but this.

Nah

Isnt that, its saying that anyone who likes it lacks taste.

Thats the difference.

As an example.

I dont like the Beatles, its not for me but they were talented and lots of people like them.

Pretty different to

The Beatles are s**t, and i dont understand how anyone likes them.

I reckon 80% of what I listen to is metal, the rest is pretty much anything with good guitar in it. Jazz is awesome for this but it's a small doses kind of thing for me.

My workout playlist is full of corny pump up songs, "You're the Best Around", "Bound for Glory", "Playing to Win" ha ha
I don't listen to music at the gym as I often tap/drum along without noticing i'm doing it. People would think I'm even weirder than they already do. God help me if I was humming along

I don't listen to music at the gym as I often tap/drum along without noticing i'm doing it. People would think I'm even weirder than they already do. God help me if I was humming along

Our gym playlist is pretty good, mainly hard rock stuff, opened with Black Sabbath this morning which got me up and about!

Our gym playlist is pretty good, mainly hard rock stuff, opened with Black Sabbath this morning which got me up and about!
Ours is the same playlist repeated every hour I think, at least I seem to hear the same songs alot going in before work. Mostly dance tracks but nothing particularly popular from the genre either...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Try talking to a Tool nuffy. Now I love Tool but they s**t me as well, if someone doesn't like them "oh you just don't get them". Nah they just don't like em!

I'm a Tool fan and I think that Aenima is the greatest album of all time but I don't try to convince other people to like them too.

Tool are one of those bands where people are either really into them or not at all, I wouldn't expect Taylor Swift fans to like Tool.

Yeah, I mean we’ve never lived in a time where music is more easily accessible. No point worrying about music you don’t like, just listen to what you do.
People continue to be amazed that I somehow avoid music I have no interest in. Was at a school disco yesterday, the kids were dancing to Shiver by Ed Sheeran apparently. My wife was stunned that I hadn't heard it. Reckon I've only heard one his songs. Same with Shake It Off, a colleague insisted I must have heard it several years after it was released. She played it for me and, nope, first time. I mean, I was obviously aware that was the name of her hit but i had just never listened to it.

Do people not understand how to parse opinion any more? I think it's perfectly fine for someone to say xx is s**t and for people to understand that's their opinion. It's even fine for them to think people who like that music have poor taste in music. Unless someone is making a comment on matters of fact, it's always an opinion.

For example...

Nah

Nah mate, Post Malone is s**t, sorry.

Do people not understand how to parse opinion any more? I think it's perfectly fine for someone to say xx is s**t and for people to understand that's their opinion. It's even fine for them to think people who like that music have poor taste in music. Unless someone is making a comment on matters of fact, it's always an opinion.

For example...

Nah mate, Post Malone is s**t, sorry.
I think saying "its s**t and i dont understand how anyone likes it" is pretty ******* rude and insulting to someone who does like it, perhaps im being overly sensitive but its just something we see on this thread and on BF about particular artists over and over and over again. Im not offended by it, its just really ******* boring and lacks any sort of self awareness.

I think saying "its s*t and i dont understand how anyone likes it" is pretty ****** rude and insulting to someone who does like it, perhaps im being overly sensitive but its just something we see on this thread and on BF about particular artists over and over and over again. Im not offended by it, its just really ******* boring and lacks any sort of self awareness.
I'd just find it more boring if everyone qualifies every statement of opinion. I don't want to have to say 'Post Malone is s**t, but he probably understands music better than I do, note progression etc, plus some people like him so he must have some appeal'. If someone told me Pearl Jam were absolute dross, I'd just be...

The Big Lebowski Dude GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back