Things that please me - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a good thing movies aren't really my thing because I think I'd be getting annoyed at all the remakes, sequels and comic book films. It would be nice for someone to come up with something original.
it's not often a remake or a sequel hits the mark, i'm an adam sandler fan so the thought of another happy gilmore excites me.

I was impressed with the recent wonka movie, i found it really enjoyable and would definitely watch it again. haven't watched any of the dc/marvel movies that have come out over the last ten years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy Gilmore 2 is being made :hearts:
If Dumb and Dumber and Zoolander are any guide - nothing good comes of sequels to comedy classics decades after they were released.

If Dumb and Dumber and Zoolander are any guide - nothing good comes of sequels to comedy classics decades after they were released.
Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

It's a good thing movies aren't really my thing because I think I'd be getting annoyed at all the remakes, sequels and comic book films. It would be nice for someone to come up with something original.
I thought Poor Things and Past Lives are two original movies from recent months. They're out there, you just have to walk past the remakes/superheroes/sequels

Yeah I'm not big into movies either, I only ever watch them on aeroplanes. Last plane trip was the Barbie Movie, well it passed the time at least!

I think part of the problem is that we are hugely nostalgic for that stuff.

I LOVE Happy Gilmore but watching it objectively, its not very good. The recent Roadhouse remake showed the same thing, the original is trashy as s**t but its adored alot of people seem to actually think its a top shelf capital I important film. My wife watched the original Roadhouse for the first time a week before the new one came out and was just baffled by it, she thought it was awful but entertaining. Much like the new one is.

I think part of the problem is that we are hugely nostalgic for that stuff.

I LOVE Happy Gilmore but watching it objectively, its not very good. The recent Roadhouse remake showed the same thing, the original is trashy as s**t but its adored alot of people seem to actually think its a top shelf capital I important film. My wife watched the original Roadhouse for the first time a week before the new one came out and was just baffled by it, she thought it was awful but entertaining. Much like the new one is.

Yep, correct. The humour just doesn't work when we're 20 years older (or more) with different things that make us laugh. And sensibilities change over time too. Billy Madison is pretty cringy today but I remember having a great time watching it for the first time.

I mean, things like Jim Carrey getting out of the rhino in Ace Ventura II still work - but the joke and twist of the main antagonist in Ace Ventura I being trans does not. What would Ace Ventura III even be about anyway? A lot of potty jokes and it was pretty much just Jim Carrey going full Jim Carrey.

I remember watching Total Recall in preparation for that forgettable remake with Colin Farrell and Bryan Cranston and thinking 'man this movie does NOT work well today apart from the one liners'.

there is plenty of good stuff out there that isn't on this list you just dont hear about it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back