This year is the biggest opportunity to get the flag I have seen

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it means we can keep winning games while playing spuds in 'roles' then I'll take it.
Na fair enough. But whenever a player is asked about about a teammate in any capacity that phrase just gets trotted out. Like a reflex response. Real pet hate of mine. Anyway.

giphy.gif

I don't expect us to win the flag, we'd have to continue to improve a lot from here but fair play whoever wins it, its a bloody premiership. I'd happily take that. The counter argument of "every team played each other once" is actually a good argument as to its legitimacy.

Plus just imagine the Carlton tears. Would be glorious.

Easy tiger. Haven't smashed any team. Need to beat one of the 4 contenders.
It's a shame about the general opinion being there will be an Asterix, whoever does win it will probably have had to overcome more than a regular season to win the flag, it will be fairer than usual from a wins perspective because everyone plays each other once.

Id say if pies won it for example that would be one hell of a flag to win with the year they have had.
Might be a shame now but it will be a year that will be hard to forget, and there for easily recalled by a lot of people

Every Premiership could have an asterisk.

In the last 20 years along we've changed finals formats, teams missing out on hosting home finals due to contractual arrangements, uneven regular season fixtures, byes introduced prior to the finals, AFL tampering with the tribunal to ensure players line up for the GF.

That's without the wacky way premierships were decided in the old days apparently there's been 12 different ways in 120 years to decide the premier!

Essendon won a flag during WWII and its early flags were won in shorter seasons against less teams and there is no asterisk so there wont be one for the 2020 premiers unless maybe if the season is called off and the flag is handed to the ladder leader because the finals can't be played.

This is why I'd say we have a long way to go:

Strength of Schedule Remaining from Easiest to Toughest:
  1. Hawthorn (86 – 7.82)
  2. GWS (87 – 7.91)
  3. Collingwood (89 – 8.10)
  4. Brisbane (97 – 8.81)
  5. Port Adelaide (99 – 9.00)
  6. Carlton (101 – 9.18)
  7. Geelong (102 – 9.27)
  8. St Kilda (105 – 9.55)
  9. Melbourne (115* – 9.58)
  10. Fremantle (106 – 9.64)
  11. Western Bulldogs (107 – 9.73)
  12. Richmond (110 – 10.00)
  13. Gold Coast (111 – 10.09)
  14. Adelaide (112 – 10.18)
  15. West Coast (113 – 10.27)
  16. Essendon (124* – 10.33)
  17. North Melbourne (114 – 10.36)
  18. Sydney (119 – 10.81)

I don't necessarily agree with all the point allocations, but it's generally what people would have. We still have to play Richmond, GWS, Port, Brisbane, West Coast and Geelong. Far too many good teams to be comfortable.

This is why I'd say we have a long way to go:

Strength of Schedule Remaining from Easiest to Toughest:
  1. Hawthorn (86 – 7.82)
  2. GWS (87 – 7.91)
  3. Collingwood (89 – 8.10)
  4. Brisbane (97 – 8.81)
  5. Port Adelaide (99 – 9.00)
  6. Carlton (101 – 9.18)
  7. Geelong (102 – 9.27)
  8. St Kilda (105 – 9.55)
  9. Melbourne (115* – 9.58)
  10. Fremantle (106 – 9.64)
  11. Western Bulldogs (107 – 9.73)
  12. Richmond (110 – 10.00)
  13. Gold Coast (111 – 10.09)
  14. Adelaide (112 – 10.18)
  15. West Coast (113 – 10.27)
  16. Essendon (124* – 10.33)
  17. North Melbourne (114 – 10.36)
  18. Sydney (119 – 10.81)

I don't necessarily agree with all the point allocations, but it's generally what people would have. We still have to play Richmond, GWS, Port, Brisbane, West Coast and Geelong. Far too many good teams to be comfortable.

Yeah 100% for the fact that we can't get comfortable, but we are in the best positon I have seen in a season for quite a while I reckon

Not that I like counting wins and this season is all over the place, but great teams are gettable each week. In past years facing Richmond or the Cats would have me worried. But even Port and Brisbane who've been flying are gettable.

10 wins should get you in the 8, maybe 12-13 to land 4th spot? We've got 12 games to go, can we get the 5-8 wins to put us in the mix.

If you can split those tough games (3-3) we'd be a chance.

Bulldogs then Adelaide. After that it gets pretty tough, so getting wins in the bank is key.

Not that I like counting wins and this season is all over the place, but great teams are gettable each week. In past years facing Richmond or the Cats would have me worried. But even Port and Brisbane who've been flying are gettable.

10 wins should get you in the 8, maybe 12-13 to land 4th spot? We've got 12 games to go, can we get the 5-8 wins to put us in the mix.

If you can split those tough games (3-3) we'd be a chance.

Bulldogs then Adelaide. After that it gets pretty tough, so getting wins in the bank is key.
We actually have 13 games, 1 up our sleeve remember

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it wasn't for the Stringer injury, i'd say the fixture has played out nicely for us. Gives us time to rack up some wins whilst we wait for Daniher to get back.
Start has been good. If late in the season we can limit the losses and we get Stringer, Joey & Fanta up and about we should be a good show for a top 4 finish.

There was talk of starting to jam extra games into the schedule to get ahead of where the AFL wants to be. But with so mich uncertainty they are stuck going week to week almost and hopefully we will see things stretch out a little. Its just too bad most of these injuries we are getting have pretty firm recovery timelines. We can only hope they dont start pushing the extra games till the back end when we do get more of our players back.

If Port are equal faves then we have a chance. On a dry ground their small defenders can be exposed. Other teams not travelling great either. Tiges and Pies have issues.

With Stringer out though we need Joe back and performing, don’t think our forward line is good enough with those two out.

I've 99% resigned to the thought that this current playing group won't take us close to a flag. I thought, maybe, when Joey gets right, midfield starts to click, etc. we could get a look in, but nup. Now I question how many of them truly want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back