Fixture Thursday night footy

Thursday night footy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL isn’t a made for tv sport like nrl is. The AFL need fans and Thursday night footy is not for fans, especially when you have to work the next day
I think there is some sense in Thursday games in Perth and Adelaide.

Early kickoffs so local fans can go straight after work and get home early.

Perfect for east coast tv audiences.

I think there is some sense in Thursday games in Perth and Adelaide.

Early kickoffs so local fans can go straight after work and get home early.

Perfect for east coast tv audiences.

The early kickoffs are the problem over here. They start them too early in order to cater for east coast audiences and local fans have to battle peak hour traffic to get there by qtr time.

The early kickoffs are the problem over here. They start them too early in order to cater for east coast audiences and local fans have to battle peak hour traffic to get there by qtr time.

The AFL catering to it's largest TV audiences--- who would've thought they'd focus on their financial interests.

The AFL catering to it's largest TV audiences--- who would've thought they'd focus on their financial interests.

But it illustrates WA games are not the answer if you believe footy should be for live fans instead of tv.

At least not in the timeslot they currently schedule the rare Thurs/Fri night games over here.

But it illustrates WA games are not the answer if you believe footy should be for live fans instead of tv.

At least not in the timeslot they currently schedule the rare Thurs/Fri night games over here.

I agree--- I'm an advocate for WA games to be split between the 'later' Saturday night game (I'd even push it back later than when it starts now to 7:20pm local, 9:20pm #VICBIAS time) and the Sunday afternoon game (2:40pm local, 4:40pm #VICBIAS time).

I agree--- I'm an advocate for WA games to be split between the 'later' Saturday night game (I'd even push it back later than when it starts now to 7:20pm local, 9:20pm #VICBIAS time) and the Sunday afternoon game (2:40pm local, 4:40pm #VICBIAS time).

I've accepted that our lot in life is to have 90% Sunday arvo games. Might as well own it and make it ours.

The only part I really dislike is if you want to get on the beers while you watch you don't get a recovery day before work.

I enjoy watching the games on a Thursday night on TV. Would never attend myself. So all good, but I don’t want my team to play in them.
If some other clubs want to market themselves this way, well and good.
My mob gets Anzac Day, Queens Birthday etc - we get enough.
Over to whoever wants it...

I like it on TV. Don't like attending them.

Hate it for home finals. Have to scramble to take the Friday off work on late notice so you can enjoy the game and celebrate if you win or drown sorrows if you lose.

Would be happy with 18 Thursday night games a year. Each club gets 1 home game. Spread the love (or burden).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL isn’t a made for tv sport like nrl is. The AFL need fans and Thursday night footy is not for fans, especially when you have to work the next day
AFL actually had better TV ratings last year due to the fact that there were no crowds. Ironically, our high attendants is the reason why our ratings are not as high as they should be.

Anyone see Gerard Healy's plan for Thursday night footy every week on On The Couch

Every team would have two byes between rounds 5 and 22
They only think about how the game is broadcast rather than when people want to go to the game

Imagine the crowds for Sunday 6.10 game in the middle of winter

Sick of broadcasters using footy talk show talking heads to try and push their point of view on the fixture. Embarrassingly transparent that they're not really concerned about what's good for footy (for example the fan who might want to attend a game never comes into it) but instead are solely focussed on what best lines their pockets. Take it up with the AFL behind closed doors if they must.

Anyone see Gerard Healy's plan for Thursday night footy every week on On The Couch

Every team would have two byes between rounds 5 and 22

Thought it had a lot of merit, like Gerard said it would get rid of most of the crossover games on weekends and the problem of having 2 games going head to head on Saturday night.

Makes no sense having 2 good games like we had last Saturday night where people have to choose to watch one or the other and miss the other one.

Thought it had a lot of merit, like Gerard said it would get rid of most of the crossover games on weekends and the problem of having 2 games going head to head on Saturday night.

Makes no sense having 2 good games like we had last Saturday night where people have to choose to watch one or the other and miss the other one.
Having 2 good games is the exception, not the norm.

Having games crossover isn't ideal for Sponsors, but it's not something we should be inventing time slots for.

I've accepted that our lot in life is to have 90% Sunday arvo games. Might as well own it and make it ours.

The only part I really dislike is if you want to get on the beers while you watch you don't get a recovery day before work.
WA teams should campaign hard for Friday double headers (7pm/10pm eastern) and Sunday 7pm (eastern time) games to be put on FTA. Instead of the timezone fecking you over, make it work in your favour. Sunday 7pm to 10pm is the most watched TV time in Australia, that would correlate to sponsorship $$$

WA teams should campaign hard for Friday double headers (7pm/10pm eastern) and Sunday 7pm (eastern time) games to be put on FTA. Instead of the timezone fecking you over, make it work in your favour. Sunday 7pm to 10pm is the most watched TV time in Australia, that would correlate to sponsorship $$$
If FTA networks wanted Sunday night games it would have happened by now. So they will still be shunted to Fox everywhere except WA. The same with a 2nd game of a Friday double header

Back