News Tigers Well Positioned For Multiple Premierships

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve coMe to realise that most recruiters incl this bloke are about as astute as the boofhead formguide tipsters that have like 12 tips between them in an 8 horse race and still can’t Get the winner

Following the listless trade period where our major rivals made little ground to bridge the growing gap between us gives me real confidence before the bloody balls even bounced

Last edited:
Sorry but I'm going to try and steer this thread off into another direction instead of worrying about what some old fool thinks.

Succession Planning

Winning is fun, once you get the taste of it you want it to keep going so let's take a look at our oldest 5 players at the club.

1571972072831.png

These out and out champions will never be replaced like for like, but one day they will have to call it a day so how many more seasons do you see each player playing for?

Do we have a few young guys already on our list who might be able to take that next step over the next few seasons so we aren't left with a massive hole in our list? Or is now the time to look at the draft and start preparing for what will occur in the next few seasons.

I guess it also comes down to injuries that could be a huge factor:

I think Houli might see out 2020 & 2021. Could he potentially call it a day after next season if we go out as winners again? As a replacement I think we have a few youngsters & older players that can fill the role and hopefully develop over time so we don't miss him as much. Stack, Short, Pickett ….. possible Half Back flankers attacking weapons.

Riewoldt, I think with the arrival of Lynch at the club I can see Jack playing for another 2 seasons at least, Jack did miss a large chunk of games this year through injuries and it's always a concern once a player is over 30. Richo retired when he was 34 so touch wood and barring injuries hopefully we will see Jack possibly pay until the end of the 2022 season (he will be turning 35 that year but playing the season as a 34 yo). It's hard to replace KKP's we are lucky to now have Lynch and we have a young guy named Balta who might be able to push forward and help out Lynch for life after Jack. Who knows in a few years time with these stars retiring we might even free up our cap and poach another KPP to help out Tim Lunch.

Edwards, our magician. Fast feet, evasive skills & deadly handballs. Out of all the 5 players above I think he could be the most likely to stay around the longest, seems to still have the agility and flexibility to go on, it might be just me but I think Shai Bolton is a possible replacement going forward.

Rance - who would have thought at the start of the year we could win a flag without this absolute champ? It's amazing really. I was always dreading the day he had to retire but now I can sit back and just enjoy this guy play for us the way it should be. Hopefully he can stick around for another 2 seasons but coming back from an ACL is never a given. I think going forward its an area of our team that will need replacing. (Grimes Astbury, Vlastuin & Broad could do with some help TBH) I'm not sure Garthwaite is the answer however the kid is only 22 next year so I won't be too harsh on him yet.

Cotchin our 2 time premiership captain leads by example. You can never replace this guy IMO but as we have seen this year his hammies could be a slight concern going forward, would hate to see him start getting injuries like we saw with Deledio. I would be conservative and say he might be around for only 2 more seasons, I think 3 years would be a bonus. Going forward I think we are well stocked with players who can do the team thing, lay a hard bump, tackle or desperate lunge, our very own Jack Graham that is. Jack Ross will also be exciting to watch develop in the centre over the next few seasons too.

I think the club list wise is well positioned for multiple Premierships for the next 4-5 years if we keep developing and recruiting right, even after our champions are gone. I'm exciting to see the likes of:

Ross
Collier-Dawkins
Coleman-Jones
Naish
Balta
Chol

Take the next step and continue to develop.

Last edited:
Sorry but I'm going to try and steer this thread off into another direction instead of worrying about what some old fool thinks.

Succession Planning

Winning is fun, once you get the taste of it you want it to keep going so let's take a look at our oldest 5 players at the club.

View attachment 770134

These out and out champions will never be replaced like for like, but one day they will have to call it a day so how many more seasons do you see each player playing for?

Do we have a few young guys already on our list who might be able to take that next step over the next few seasons so we aren't left with a massive hole in our list? Or is now the time to look at the draft and start preparing for what will occur in the next few seasons.

I think Houli might see out 2020 & 2021. Could he potentially call it a day after next season if we go out as winners again? As a replacement I think we have a few youngsters & older players that can fill the role and hopefully develop over time so we don't miss him as much. Stack, Short, Pickett ….. possible Half Back flankers attacking weapons.

Riewoldt, I think with the arrival of Lynch at the club I can see Jack playing for another 2 seasons at least, Jack did miss a large chunk of games this year through injuries and it's always a concern once a player is over 30. Richo retired when he was 34 so touch wood and barring injuries hopefully we will see Jack possibly pay until the end of the 2022 season (he will be turning 35 that year but playing the season as a 34 yo). It's hard to replace KKP's we are lucky to now have Lynch and we have a young guy named Balta who might be able to push forward and help out Lynch for life after Jack. Who knows in a few years time with these stars retiring we might even free up our cap and poach another KPP to help out Tim Lunch.

Edwards, our magician. Fast feet, evasive skills & deadly handballs. Out of all the 5 players above I think he could be the most likely to stay around the longest, seems to still have the agility and flexibility to go on, it might be just me but I think Shai Bolton is a possible replacement going forward.

Rance - who would have thought at the start of the year we could win a flag without this absolute champ? It's amazing really. I was always dreading the day he had to retire but now I can sit back and just enjoy this guy play for us the way it should be. Hopefully he can stick around for another 2 seasons but coming back from an ACL is never a given. I think going forward its an area of our team that will need replacing. (Grimes Astbury, Vlastuin & Broad could do with some help TBH) I'm not sure Garthwaite is the answer however the kid is only 22 next year so I won't be too harsh on him yet.

Cotchin our 2 time premiership captain leads by example. You can never replace this guy IMO but as we have seen this year his hammies could be a slight concern going forward, would hate to see him start getting injuries like we saw with Deledio. I would be conservative and say he might be around for only 2 more seasons, I think 3 years would be a bonus. Going forward I think we are well stocked with players who can do the team thing, lay a hard bump, tackle or desperate lunge, our very own Jack Graham that is. Jack Ross will also be exciting to watch develop in the centre over the next few seasons too.

I think the club list wise is well positioned for multiple Premierships for the next 4-5 years if we keep developing and recruiting right, even after our champions are gone. I'm exciting to see the likes of:

Ross
Collier-Dawkins
Coleman-Jones
Naish
Balta
Chol

I reckon Houli will hang them up after 2020.

Riewoldt and Cotchin: I think this year showed we can actually player manage these two through the season. We no longer need them playing every game for us to win. We just need them playing well at the right time of the year. I would love to see us manage them through to get maximum amount of years out of them while also acting as a passing of the torch period to the younger group.

Rance I reckon will retire at the end of his current contract.

Edwards seems like he has at least another 2-3 years of good football in him. I think our system suits him perfectly.

Succession Planning

View attachment 770134

Ross
Collier-Dawkins
Coleman-Jones
Naish
Balta
Chol

Just bare in mind we won a flag this year
Without rance
Cotch at 60% of his best in the 10g he played
Jack played 2 Really good games , r23 and gf where he kicked 9 of his 24

That’s their current output and the team was unbeatable, not jacks triple Coleman form or cotch reg doz plus Brownlow votes season we are replacing
Scary isn’t it once in perspective

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just bare in mind we won a flag this year
Without rance
Cotch at 60% of his best in the 10g he played
Jack played 2 Really good games , r23 and gf where he kicked 9 of his 24

That’s their current output and the team was unbeatable, not jacks triple Coleman form or cotch reg doz plus Brownlow votes season we are replacing
Scary isn’t it once in perspective

Absolutely but I still believe we need to make sure we have all our bases covered. In 3 years time the likes of Martin, Vlastuin, Astbury & Grimes will be all about 31 then too.

I want to be greedy, I want us to be a force for the next 5 years, imagine if we could win all up 5 flags over an 8 year period.

Absolutely but I still believe we need to make sure we have all our bases covered. In 3 years time the likes of Martin, Vlastuin, Astbury & Grimes will be all about 31 then too.

I want to be greedy, I want us to be a force for the next 5 years, imagine if we could win all up 5 flags over an 8 year period.
C'mon man....5 years? Why are you selling us short?

We don't have to go to the draft for A grade talent, we can pick them up via FA. The most important thing though is replenishing the playing list with the talent that will form the foundations....IMO we are certainly going down that path.

The Tigers are so far ahead of the rest of the comp. I don't think the management of the club are looking at being contenders for just the next 5 years, they are looking at dominating for generations.

......I say this with a mental health issue that leads me to delusions of grandeur, but hey, they're my delusions and I'm happy with them.

Do we classify two premierships in three years as a dynasty? If not, the Tigers are very close to establishing one.

Richmond is a powerhouse both on and off the field, and the Tigers are the team to beat in 2020 and for the foreseeable future given the strength and depth of talent on their list. While there are never any guarantees in footy and it only takes a slight drop in preparation or mindset to come back to the field, this team has the weapons to win multiple premierships over the next 3-5 years.

The beauty of the Tigers’ list is its superstars are still in their prime, with Jack Riewoldt (31 this month), Alex Rance (30) and Trent Cotchin (30 in April) the oldest of a group that includes Dustin Martin (28), Tom Lynch (26 this month), Dylan Grimes (28) and Dion Prestia (27).

Stream over 50 sports Live & On-Demand with KAYO SPORTS on your TV, computer, mobile or tablet. Just $25/month, no lock-in contract. Get your 14-day free trial and start streaming instantly >

Richmond players celebrate the 2019 premiership. Picture: Michael Klein
Richmond players celebrate the 2019 premiership. Picture: Michael Klein
Richmond has done well to take full advantage of free agency to add talent to their list while at the same time investing in the draft to bring in top-end young talent and that has the club well set-up both for the present at the future.

While there are the stars of the now — Martin, Cotchin etc — there are seven players aged 21 or under with the talent to develop into A or B-grade players in the future. The list is led by the likes of Noah Balta who I talked up in the pre-season and is just scratching the surface of what he’s capable of, Sydney Stack who I had rated at the 36th best player in last year’s draft and Jack Higgins who likely would have been a premiership player this year if it wasn’t for that serious health scare. I also like Riley Collier-Dawkins who I had rated as the 15th-best player in last year’s draft but he slipped to the Tigers at pick 20.

Most counted the Tigers out of the premiership race following Rance’s torn anterior cruciate ligament in Round 1, the strength and depth of the backline was able to cover him. Grimes, David Astbury, Bachar Houli, Nick Vlastuin, Jayden Short and later, Liam Baker, did a brilliant job and the flexibility of each of those players to play different roles meant coach Damien Hardwick had the ability to make moves mid-game if something wasn’t working.

Noah Balta is a very exciting prospect for the Tigers. Picture: Michael Klein
Noah Balta is a very exciting prospect for the Tigers. Picture: Michael Klein
Versatility is one of Richmond’s biggest strengths and has been an area Hardwick has made a point of improving to further strengthen his list and give himself more options when injuries strike mid-game or players are out of form. We saw that with Josh Caddy, who has been a very good goalkicking half-forward but was developed this year as a defensive midfielder, and Baker moving from a small forward to small defender.

These tweaks provide valuable flexibility and their true value isn’t realised until the Tigers need to call upon it in-game when there’s an injury or plan A hasn’t worked. Having multiple players you can throw into different roles that aren’t foreign to them is invaluable. It’s a seamless transition. Shane Edwards is another good example — he was used across half-back when Short was injured earlier in the year.

But what really sets the Tigers apart, aside from their obvious on-field talent, is the mental side of their game and the culture that has been established both within the playing group and wider football department.

Football clubs need a “we first” mentality rather than “me first” and Richmond has absolutely nailed it and been the leaders in creating such a strong team culture that other clubs, including Collingwood, have tried to emulate. Successfully building that culture and standard has given the Tigers that extra 1 per cent that every club is looking for to give it that competitive advantage.

It’s one of the reasons why they’ve been so dominant since 2017.

LIST NEEDS
In recent drafts (and free agency periods) the Tigers have taken steps to shore up their key-position stocks for the future to begin planning for life after the likes of Rance, Riewoldt and Astbury. One possible hole I see is in the ruck and concerns over the durability of Toby Nankervis. Ivan Soldo did well to cover for him this year and they played in the same team on Grand Final day, but is this sustainable going forward? Mabior Chol also showed some exciting signs but he is more of a forward, while Callum Coleman-Jones is a developing forward-ruck who has shown some signs in the VFL but is still learning his craft.

LIST BREAKDOWN
A: Dustin Martin, Trent Cotchin, Alex Rance, Tom Lynch, Jack Riewoldt

B+: Dylan Grimes

B: Shane Edwards, David Astbury, Daniel Rioli, Toby Nankervis, Marlion Pickett (on talent)

B-: Dion Prestia, Bachar Houli, Kane Lambert

C+: Nick Vlastuin, Jason Castagna, Jayden Short, Josh Caddy, Kamdyn McIntosh, Nathan Broad, Ivan Soldo

C: Oleg Markov, Jake Aarts

C-: Nil

Developing*: Jack Higgins, Jack Graham, Noah Balta, Sydney Stack, Patrick Naish, Riley Collier-Dawkins, Jack Ross

Developing: Shai Bolton, Mabior Chol, Callum Coleman-Jones, Ryan Garthwaite, Derek Eggmolesse-Smith, Ben Miller, Luke English, Liam Baker, Fraser Turner

Please note: Developing* refers to players aged 21 or under with the potential to become A or B-grade players in the future.

DRAFT STRATEGY
The Tigers will have four picks inside the top 41 at the national draft, which is very handy for a team that has just won its second premiership in three years. The strength of this draft is good, with the top 35-40 picks to unearth some very good players for the future. This is a midfielders’ draft so expect the Tigers to add some players with pace and who use the ball well, while they might look for a nice rebound defender given Houli is getting towards the end of his career, Markov hasn’t quite come on as hoped and Connor Menadue has been delisted. I’d also look at an experienced ruckman from a state league just to add ruck depth.

CRYSTAL BALL
The Tigers are the team to beat in 2020 with only bad luck with injury and/or a lack of desire the enemy for this group. Losing the hunger is very unlikely as the players have formed a close bond and have been able to maintain their focus for three seasons now, which is a credit to the leadership both on and off the field and dedication to team success shown by the players.

DANIE Rioli and Edwards on the same rating? How much wine did you drink before making this list 😂
Edit....
Didn’t realise it wasn’t you, these guys have no clue on the ratings of our players.

Last edited:

We will be coz Martin lynch and a few others have enough years left that you can build the next side around , defence is only area we really. need to shore up, hasn’t been a focus in recent drafts , I feel it will be this year

C'mon man....5 years? Why are you selling us short?

We don't have to go to the draft for A grade talent, we can pick them up via FA. The most important thing though is replenishing the playing list with the talent that will form the foundations....IMO we are certainly going down that path.

The Tigers are so far ahead of the rest of the comp. I don't think the management of the club are looking at being contenders for just the next 5 years, they are looking at dominating for generations.

......I say this with a mental health issue that leads me to delusions of grandeur, but hey, they're my delusions and I'm happy with them.

I fully concur with your thoughts , king Henry VIII reign

Have to say , Grimes is almost the best player im the afl yet bucky doesnt think he is A grade?

Vlastuin C? What is he smoking... clubs would pay 1mill for grimes

Smoking a cigar at the additional clicks for the week. Every slow news week they produce something like this and watch the outrage, comments and clicks come flooding in. I'd be very surprised if the advertises don't have a clause in there that says they need a Richmond/Collingwood bait article at least once a week.

We will be coz Martin lynch and a few others have enough years left that you can build the next side around , defence is only area we really. need to shore up, hasn’t been a focus in recent drafts , I feel it will be this year
Defence is a key area I reckon too...we need some capable backups down there...don't want to grind the current lot into the ground chasing more GFs!

Qty young defenders can be drafted , crows got doedo who looks the goods , he’s the type we need to bring in
Too right need to start drafting some quality defenders quick smart to help with the defensive load and eventual replacement of our defensive champs! 👍

Remove this Banner Ad

Back