froars

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
I am officially Tim Fleming's number one fan - you bag him, you answer to me lol.

Only kidding lol

But i did meet him at the B&F and got a pic with him - was the nicest of the lot of them i thought. After I had the pic taken, he asked me my name - and i said Froars. And he said, well nice to meet you Froars lol.

It is amazing the impact players have on fans when they're nice and go out of there way to be like that.

I've had one bad experience with one which has tainted my opinion of him as a player - i'll let you guess who that is lol.

Anyone had a bad experience with meeting players. Most of them are pretty nice - you do get the odd one though.

The best thing about Tommy is his enthusiasm for just about everything in life, and the way he never ever seems to have a bad word to say about anyone. Maybe that's why he was a successful coach, the players trusted him.

One day a few years ago i was walking through the punt rd car park to catch the reserves and Nick Daffy almost ran me over in his sports car. He got out and half apologised but said he was running late for the pre-game meeting with Geisch.
He then refused to sign a young kids jumper, which is understandable as he was late, but still not really good enough.
I got over it, and any way, think of how much i could have sued him for if he did hit me????????

True

I think I had a tale on some other thread about Scotty Turner... top bloke!

One time, I was at the LeighOak having a birthday dinner for my father. This was in mid December and the Test Cricket was on in Perth with Australia playing the Pom's.

I got up and walked over to the big screen where they had it showing to get a score update. I'm watching it for a few minutes when someone behind me ask's "What's the score, mate?"

I turn around... and there was David Schwarz!

So we spent the next 5 minutes or so talking about the cricket!

The funny thing about it all was that if you were listening to the conversation, you would never pick it as being with a mega-famous, superstar footballer ... just 2 average - joe strangers chatting idly about a common interest.

I'm gonna make a lot of enemies here... but my mostest hated bloke off the field is Tony Free.

My mate tried to have a chat with him in a bar one night, and asked him how he thought we'd go on the weekend and all.

Freezer had a skin full under his belt, and just started taking swings at both my mates. Absolute d*ckhead of a bloke. Used to feel sorry for him because of all the injuries, but couldn't give two sh*ts about the pr*ck now.

As for the best player to make himself open to anyone that wants to have a chat... easily Matty Rogers. Most genuine bloke in football!

Have met Knighter a couple of times, and always found him to be an approachable, friendly bloke, if a touch serious. Good with the kids too.
Unfortunately couldn't say the same about Campbell, but that was a couple of years ago — he's reported to be better with fans these days.

Away from footy, my boys and I were lucky enough to meet the 1999 World Cup winning cricket squad and we were impressed with Shane Warne's tirelessness with kids and adults, Steve Waugh was terrific, Tom Moody was magnificent but brickbats for Mark Waugh who virtually accused my son (then only 7 yrs old) of stealing someone else's autograph book because when he approached him for an autograph he found that he'd already signed it...the poor kid hadn't realised that he'd already got Mark Waugh's autograph. I'm sure they get tired of signing, but jeez...

sometimes players are so much in the spotlight and groupies come up to them they are sick of this...ok frezzer should not have punched up but let them live normal lives....the quicker we realise these people are just normal peple not idols the better we can get along with them...they want to be normal people in a world that puts footy stars ahead of people like teachers, doctors, social workers...then ther are the women who throw themselves at players who look like a bad halloween pumpkin.

Originally posted by TigerMal
One day a few years ago i was walking through the punt rd car park to catch the reserves and Nick Daffy almost ran me over in his sports car. He got out and half apologised but said he was running late for the pre-game meeting with Geisch.
He then refused to sign a young kids jumper, which is understandable as he was late, but still not really good enough.
I got over it, and any way, think of how much i could have sued him for if he did hit me????????

True

A lot of people have said Nick Daffy was up himself ....
& your tale is just another 1...

He was never the most liked at Richmond either....:eek: :cool:

I was lucky enough enough to chat to a few of the players after the last game this year. The bloke who stood out among them all was Rodan. He was the most polite, modest young man you could ever meet. His attitude was awesome - so keen to do well in footy and determined to train as hard as anyone in the competition to ensure he does.

Originally posted by Wally Matera
I'm gonna make a lot of enemies here... but my mostest hated bloke off the field is Tony Free.

My mate tried to have a chat with him in a bar one night, and asked him how he thought we'd go on the weekend and all.

Freezer had a skin full under his belt, and just started taking swings at both my mates. Absolute d*ckhead of a bloke. Used to feel sorry for him because of all the injuries, but couldn't give two sh*ts about the pr*ck now.

No offence but your mate sounds like a f#$%# di_ckhead , years ago when I was out on the tiles I ran into freeza a number of times and every time we would yak over a beer and a few laughs . I would have said he is one of the better blokes I have met....Dont believe everything you here..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rioli17, i don't think it's a big secret that Freeza is a hot head, so Wally's story kinda rings true to me.

However, I "won" Tony at the auction about 10 years back, and together with a few girlfriends and Hoggy, Tim Powell, Leysy, Toddy Menengola and Mattie Francis, had the best night out with them. I couldn't fault him at all on the night.

I guess you just have to catch him at the right time :)

Originally posted by froars
Rioli17, i don't think it's a big secret that Freeza is a hot head, so Wally's story kinda rings true to me.

However, I "won" Tony at the auction about 10 years back, and together with a few girlfriends and Hoggy, Tim Powell, Leysy, Toddy Menengola and Mattie Francis, had the best night out with them. I couldn't fault him at all on the night.

I guess you just have to catch him at the right time :)

Exactly right... when its the only memory you've got to go by, well of course the impression is going to be lasting.

No one on this site can't disagree with Froars or myself, that Freezer didnt mind going toe-to-toe on the odd occaision.

My touch with Tiger fame was two fold but the same person

Back in 96 I was at the RFC having a beer after the team had been named standing at the bar when Clokey came up beside me. So I bought him a beer, we stood and chatted over that beer and then I had to leave to catch the train home.

Later that year I was playing Black Jack in the old Mahogany room when a man reached over my shoulder a placed a back bet on the box I was playing. As I did , I quickly looked over my shoulder to see who was back betting. It was Cloaky. We won that hand and as he collected his bet he saw my face and immeaditly said. "I owe you a beer dont I"

Nice to know that he took notice

Lets Raw

Khan

I have met nearly all the RIchmond players and I can tell you that David Rodan is great although my new favourite player to have a chat with has got to be Jay Schulz. He is down to earth and not at all pretentious.

My least favourites are Darren Gaspar (polite but not the friendliest), Joel Bowden (the boy has a very high opinion of himself although he has good days) & Matthew Richardson (always in a hurry and never smiles unless you have a camera, then the smile lasts for about 3 seconds!!)

I must admit though, most of them are great. Guys like Ty Zantuck, Martin McGrath, Brad Ottens, Greg Stafford, Andrew Krakouer, Chris Newman and Tim Fleming are just wonderful.

An old timer who hangs around the club watching them train told me that the younger less media saturated players are always friendly until the start listening to their own publicity :)

i know a fair few Richmond blokes and Mart Mcgrath is a 1000 laughs a minute, his just a real down to earth fun loving guy. Andrew Mills is also a champion guy. All of them are top bloke Bidders was a legend, Matty Shir and Cal Moore are just funny as hell and legend blokes, and even those people who think low of Kayne Pettifer the guy is actually a preety cool fella.
Overall i think most of the Richmond blokes are preety good guys in there own right and the club should be very proud with how they conduct them selves.

cheers

Nick Daffy was a great bloke and still is, always seems ready for a chat.
Cambo is a little stand-offish I think.
Jury is still out on Richo tho. Some ppl say he is too arrogant but others swear he is the lovliest bloke. I wonder which it is.

i can tell you all first hand i have met and talked at length with 3 of our young guns. mark coglan, Rodders and krack. They love richmond and want to stay there a long time. I was really ipressed with them. I talked to krack about his old man, he loves him. i talked to young coghlan i said there are comparisons with you and Tony Free, he said he had heard of him, lovely kid. But young rodan was just a little sweetie, he had a mentor look after him . he said he loved dancing in his part time and the beach. He was just like aliitle kid in a big mans game.

Originally posted by cairo tiger
I talked to krack about his old man...

As a matter of interest, why the hell would you have a discussion with Andy Krakouer about his old man?

Only my opinion, but l would suggest any discussion about Jimmy should be off-limits with Andy, and just feel that this is inappropriate subject for a fan to discuss with a young kid.

As a matter of interest, why the hell would you have a discussion with Andy Krakouer about his old man?

Only my opinion, but l would suggest any discussion about Jimmy should be off-limits with Andy, and just feel that this is inappropriate subject for a fan to discuss with a young kid.

I think if Andy Krakouer is OK in talking about his dad then that is really up to him. He is not ashamed of his dad, his father was a great footy player. I am sure Andy does not judge his dad solely by his mistakes.

However, I would never initiate the subject with him but if he is OK with the discussion and if he brings it up then I am sure there would be a few Jimmy Krakouer highlight reels that those of us who are old enough could remember, would be happy to re-live with him.

crikey wally who are you to say what i should not do with my discussions? i can talk with whoever iwant about whatever. young krak felt comfortable with me thats where the discussion went. L knew his old man why should l justfy this to you oh man of righteousness? I am glad the young kids were comortable eough to talk to me, l am that sort of guy but what would you care, you just bag me as insignificant. Oh i forgot you and others know. this is a bloody footy site stope getting personal jut because i know some players and was commenting on their excellent qualities....meathead

In case you missed it Caro
Only my opinion
Wally's not allowed to get personal but your allowed to call him a meathead as far as I can tell he never said anything insulting. Must be your imagination Caro, either that or you can't handle any criticism whatsoever

Remove this Banner Ad

Back