News Time for the Vic teams to leave Victoria - EDIT: Hawks to Hub in Barossa, 15 teams in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

The longer the season takes to finish the more it compromises the 2021 season (shorter preseasons etc). Perhaps this is the new normal, with 2021 being affected by COVID too. Two unique seasons.

Could be longer than that there’s no end date for this and it’s compounded by the amount of anti vaxxers

Talk of a bye round

Why have I been under the impression we were all hubbing for 5 games?
Article says we will return regardless of borders closing after round 9.
Makes sense with the WA hub, we would be done there by round 9 but why was I thinking 5 games in 32 days as is so often quoted?

Why have I been under the impression we were all hubbing for 5 games?
Article says we will return regardless of borders closing after round 9.
Makes sense with the WA hub, we would be done there by round 9 but why was I thinking 5 games in 32 days as is so often quoted?
ha ha, Victorian clubs think they're going home in 4 weeks

Not at all - Your a bit like Ed, your way and anybody else’s opinion is wrong.
Some mighty ability you have shown to absorb anyone else's opinion, resort to attacking the man and failed to even discuss the point.

Now unless you have something to say about the actual matter we are done here, you concede.

Of course.

In a pure football sense, early on in the season restart it appeared that the burden would be asymmetrical and impact on West Coast more than their chief flag rivals, and supporters were rightly up in arms.

The justification by Vic fans that it was the WA's government's decision and by extension West Coast's fault they would be disadvantaged was tone deaf a incredibly parochial. That view was unjustified, and also fails to recognise the reason for strict border controls was and always has been the high number of cases in NSW and Victoria.

In the eyes of many, this is just comeuppance.

Cheers for the response, to be clear I was commenting less about the posts in a football sense and more about the posting about the virus.

It doesn't seem to be the way the AFL has decided to go.

The AFL hasn't scheduled many VIC v Non-Vic games over the next 2 rounds.

Football will not be played in Victoria anytime soon, or maybe at all this season.

Now that the border is closed with all states, Victorian teams may not be able to return after 32 days. They may have to spend the rest of the season out of Victoria.
They won't do that. Season will just hit a hiatus again after the 32 days and the players will go back home. Border isn't closed to people heading back to Victoria. They won't force players to stay away for 3 months, just like they wouldn't have forced the SA and WA teams to stay on the GC for 3 months.

They won't do that. Season will just hit a hiatus again after the 32 days and the players will go back home. Border isn't closed to people heading back to Victoria. They won't force players to stay away for 3 months, just like they wouldn't have forced the SA and WA teams to stay on the GC for 3 months.

It would have to be a split round due to the WA hub.

Collingwood/Geelong are there for games Round 7-9.

Another team is scheduled to player round 9,10 & 11.

If the pause for a week after around 9,it would be a two week break for WA clubs as the two Vic clubs play their first game in WA against each other and WA clubs have no opposition.

I dont know what other states did - but in wa if you were told you had been in contact with someone with covid - it was basically house arrest.
Same with the internal borders in wa - i wanted to go to perth to pick up some second hand tyres and wheels for my truck - and despite having a gtg pass giving me exemptions on internal borders there was no way i was going down without a job booked in and documented - $50000 fines have a way of focusing your mind....
Yet it doesn’t stop you with your I told you so crap.

AFL said from the outset they are making changes that will enable them to be agile...shortened season, shortened quarters, agile fixture with ability to change on the fly

They moved away from the initial talk of full blown hubs as it appeared States had things under control...save money, work with governments, appease players association

Now as things get worse, they have changed tact for R6-10...the entire premise of the changes they made was to help them manage their way through as the situation evolved.

They are having to work with multiple State Govts who all are with different agendas and rules...that they are changing on the run.

If the AFL has gone ahead with one of your nonsense play the entire season in a bubble call in SA and locked that in back in March, then they miss out on the opportunity to actually play games in front of crowds in WA now.

As per usual, WA fans only think about the immediate impact to just their club, without consideration of the entire league ramifications that the AFL is tasked with managing.

ha ha, Victorian clubs think they're going home in 4 weeks

They are not returning til season is over.
Whether the media and their fans like it.
Too risky.

Looking like suburban Richmond may be in lockdown very shortly.

AFL fixture boss Travis Auld told ABC Grandstand the league has guaranteed Victorian clubs they'll return home after round nine regardless of whether border restrictions have eased.

"I think you'd look at a bye or a split round of some sort to find your way through that," he said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL fixture boss Travis Auld told ABC Grandstand the league has guaranteed Victorian clubs they'll return home after round nine regardless of whether border restrictions have eased.

"I think you'd look at a bye or a split round of some sort to find your way through that," he said.
Under Health advise they will not be returning.

Legit don't understand the logic behind this; surely you'd send more Vic teams into two hubs and keep them there for longer? Why compromise the season even further?

With the benefit of hindsight, they should have split the comp into two conferences, Victoria and National. 14 rounds. If the country is CV safe in late September, play a top eight with the top four from each conference for the flag. If Victoria still a mess, the Vic clubs play for the Vic premiership and the others for the National premiership.
No hubs or 16 min quarters required.

With the benefit of hindsight, they should have split the comp into two conferences, Victoria and National. 14 rounds. If the country is CV safe in late September, play a top eight with the top four from each conference for the flag. If Victoria still a mess, the Vic clubs play for the Vic premiership and the others for the National premiership.
No hubs or 16 min quarters required.
No.
They should have one hub, in a COVID safe state now.
Play all remaining games.
Families can be with players.

No need then to revise,change.
We have a clear way forward.

The couldnt organise squat.

They should have one hub, in a COVID safe state now.
Three issues I'd have with that:
- It means that 2 sides would have home ground advantage against interstate sides literally every week. We've seen some evidence that hosting a hub might be a massive advantage.
- It means that six sides would have to be in a hub for months without it being necessary, and
- It means that all your eggs are in one basket if there's a COVID outbreak in that city.

The fixture for the next few rounds has so many options now, you basically have 12 clubs in a combined NSW/QLD hub and nearly every match up that’s left available. Good choice by the AFL to make the hubs this way. Made up a mock Rd 8&9, would love to see a Friday night doubleheader in Rd 9 using Perth.

Round 8:

Richmond vs Western Bulldogs - Thurs 7:40pm (Metricon)
Port Adelaide vs Hawthorn - Fri 7:50pm (Adelaide Oval)
Adelaide vs Carlton - Sat 1:45pm (Adelaide Oval)
Sydney vs Brisbane - Sat 4:35pm (SCG)
Gold Coast vs North - Sat 7:40pm (Metricon)
St Kilda vs Melbourne - Sun 1:05pm (Gabba)
Essendon vs GWS - Sun 3:35pm (Metricon)
West Coast vs Collingwood - Sun 6:10pm (Optus)
Fremantle vs Geelong - Mon 8:10pm Mon (Optus)

Round 9:

Brisbane vs Richmond - Thurs 7:40pm (Gabba)
Essendon vs St Kilda - Fri 7:10pm (Metricon)
Hawthorn vs Western Bulldogs - Fri 9:40pm (Optus)
Adelaide vs GWS - Sat 1:40pm (Adelaide Oval)
Gold Coast vs Carlton - Sat 4:35pm (Metricon)
West Coast vs Geelong - Sat 7:40pm (Optus)
Sydney vs Melbourne - Sun 1:05pm (SCG)
Port vs North - Sun 3:35pm (Adelaide Oval)
Fremantle vs Collingwood - Sun 6:10pm (Optus)

All times AEST

cant see the hawks go to both WA and SA in the 2 weeks, although Im thinking WA. NSW to SA is not fifo. Qld to SA is (from July 20)

Three issues I'd have with that:
- It means that 2 sides would have home ground advantage against interstate sides literally every week. We've seen some evidence that hosting a hub might be a massive advantage.
- It means that six sides would have to be in a hub for months without it being necessary, and
- It means that all your eggs are in one basket if there's a COVID outbreak in that city.

Also more grounds. 4 in qld/NSW. If the govts stop FIFO there, they also do it for NRL. Not sure they would do that.

Once a vic club has completed all non vic (especially the SA and WA) fixtures, they can return full stop

😬 no mcg for Eddie. How will Collingwood survive ?

They travel well. also Hawks and North have experience of Tassie, where they sometimes camp for a few days. Port go to China. Gold coast spent half a season travelling 2 years ago

Could it be some of these clubs will flourish?

As per usual, WA fans only think about the immediate impact to just their club, without consideration of the entire league ramifications that the AFL is tasked with managing.
[/QUOTE]h
What?!! Like both WA teams moving to Qld 2 months ago so the whole season could start? How bloody selfish WA!🤣

Blood is thicker than water.family comes first.I believe if someone told these guys they won’t be paid while staying home for their child’s birth and to support their partner,they would say that’s fine,they have their priorities.heaven forbid there r ANY complications during birth and these guys r interstate being eaten up with worry.even if they were rushed home I’m guessing they’d be having to quarantine for 14 days.

Houli's child's birth shouldn't really see any complications since it has already been born.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back