Recommitted Toby Nankervis [ Re-Signed until 2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

I would love to keep him on the list as a very capable back up and occasionally for match ups play 2 rucks, but I can't see him hanging around if he's playing 70% of games in the VFL.

Soldo is the future, can genuinely ruck and improving around the ground as games go by.

Coleman-Jones the next in line as a genuine number 2/ forward.

Biggest challenger to Rioli for most overrated player at Richmond. Does the dirty work and make use of his size but is horrible with ball in hand and isn't strong in marking contest contrary to what many Richmond fans will claim him to be. With that in mind he would be worth around similar to what we paid for him in 2016 and his market is for teams who need someone who they know is going to go out and compete. Someone like Brisbane could be interested if Martin doesn't go around again and there committed to McInery as a forward, Dogs another who could be interested if English continues to struggle.

Good honest solider who will always be on an AFL list but will be overtaken by a more promising ruckman before too long.

Off the top of my head, I’d have all these rucks ahead of Nank.

Grundy - Collingwood
Gawn - Melbourne
Pruess - Melbourne
NicNat - West Coast
Martin - Lions
McInerney - Lions
Goldstein - North
Witts - Gold Coast
Marshall - St Kilda
Ryder - St Kilda
Darcy - Fremantle
Pittonett - Carlton
Preuss and McInerney?! :oops: Pittonett has played 1 good game, it was last week and his opponent was arguably BOG. Can cop the rest.

Never seen so many
Preuss and McInerney?! :oops: Pittonett has played 1 good game, it was last week and his opponent was arguably BOG. Can cop the rest.
Just because player A loses a contest to player B, doesn’t mean he’s automatically worse than player C. Player A can still be better than player C.

Richmond didn’t have a better ruck to play in their team in 2017 - 2019. If they did, that ruck would have played instead of Nankervis.

So Nankervis is a member of two championship winning teams. Good on him.

But it doesn’t automatically make him better than half the other rucks in the league.

He’s a limited ruck, but plays a position where there is a real lack of depth in the league, so he gets a game.

But it doesn’t automatically make him better than half the other rucks in the league.
Mate, I agree with you. His best is easily top 10, pushing top half dozen. Malcolm Blight had him 5th a couple years ago from memory. This SEN article had him top 10 in the league 2 years ago

But for a bloke who was a bit of a dinosaur already, this groin injury seems to have slowed him down even more. Hopefully he can overcome it.

Never seen so many

Just because player A loses a contest to player B, doesn’t mean he’s automatically worse than player C. Player A can still be better than player C.

Richmond didn’t have a better ruck to play in their team in 2017 - 2019. If they did, that ruck would have played instead of Nankervis.

He’s a limited ruck, but plays a position where there is a real lack of depth in the league, so he gets a game.

he was literally an integral part of two premierships and a minor premiership

people are now giving lists of the best ruckman and outside of the best couple its pretty unimpressive

he is limited yet probable better than half the leagues rucks

he was literally an integral part of two premierships and a minor premiership

people are now giving lists of the best ruckman and outside of the best couple its pretty unimpressive

he is limited yet probable better than half the leagues rucks
Pretty sure it’s just me posting a list at this stage.

Off the top of my head, I’d have all these rucks ahead of Nank.

Grundy - Collingwood
Gawn - Melbourne
Pruess - Melbourne
NicNat - West Coast
Martin - Lions
McInerney - Lions
Goldstein - North
Witts - Gold Coast
Marshall - St Kilda
Ryder - St Kilda
Darcy - Fremantle
Pittonett - Carlton
Don't disagree with the take.
Execution not great.

Pruess has played how many games as first choice ruck? how can you make this assessment.
Darcy is also just promise at this stage. Big fella needs to get rid of 10kg to be effective and stop getting injured.
Pitonett got nothing to back this up but starting to show he potentially is better.

Lycett a clear miss.

I actually think Charlie Dixon is probably better in the centre square than Nankervis as well but not sure he'd be able to run out a match.

Brisbane might be keen. Martin is 34 this year and our long term replacement in Smith doesn't look like he is up to it.
Picked him up out of desperation for dream team and wanted to tear my hair out. Didn’t help the team I was versing had NicNat...

He would be perfect pick up you guys since he’d give your midfield all it needs and be dirt cheap

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has an opposition ruckman got ahold of Richmond in the last three years and dictated a Richmond loss?
I'm pretty sure Richmond are pretty comfortable with how they structure up. Hardwick clearly values a quality centre clearance over a bunch of crappy hacked forward kicks. Geelong in 2011 played a similar style.
Grundy, 2018 prelim. However every other time Nank has beaten him, broken even or had an honourable loss. Pretty sure he got 3 Brownlow votes and 29 disposals v Collingwood a couple of years ago. But Grundy has played well in those games too, whereas Soldo has nullified him twice in a row now.

Nank is a ground ruck, and a good one, but an aerial one like Gawn, Goldy, NicNat, can get a hold of him. No point your ruck getting 20 touches if the opposition is walking the ball out of the centre. That's why we're playing Soldo.

There should be a few teams interested in Nank, but any bidding war will be directed at him, for his contract. That's the way it works, suitors sell themselves to the player, who nominates a destination and a deal gets done. They don't bid draft picks at the host club, at least not until clubs get to trade contracted players where the club wants (which should come in as a trade-off for shorter FA qualification time, and portable FA).

We paid pick 46 for an unproven Nank, and it was money extremely well spent. Now he's a 2x premiership player and still only 26, we'd expect and probably get a bit more, but not a lot more. Pick 35, say.

My ideal would be to get a player we need in a trade. I would give Nank and our first for Tom Green or Jye Caldwell. The Giants need a competitive ruck yesterday so they might bite, or they might laugh.

Last edited:
Grundy, 2018 prelim. However every other time Nank has beaten him, broken even or had an honourable loss. Pretty sure he got 3 Brownlow votes and 29 disposals v Collingwood a couple of years ago. But Grundy has played well in those games too, whereas Soldo has nullified him twice in a row now.

Nank is a ground ruck, and a good one, but an aerial one like Gawn, Goldy, NicNat, can get a hold of him. No point your ruck getting 20 touches if the opposition is walking the ball out of the centre. That's why we're playing Soldo.

There should be a few teams interested in Nank, but any bidding war will be directed at him, for his contract. That's the way it works, suitors sell themselves to the player, who nominates a destination and a deal gets done. They don't bid draft picks at the host club, at least not until clubs get to trade contracted players where the club wants (which should come in as a trade-off for shorter FA qualification time, and portable FA).

We paid pick 46 for an unproven Nank, and it was money extremely well spent. Now he's a 2x premiership player and still only 26, we'd expect and probably get a bit more, but not a lot more. Pick 35, say.

My ideal would be to get a player we need in a trade. I would give Nank and our first for Tom Green or Jye Caldwell. The Giants need a competitive ruck yesterday so they might bite, or they might laugh.
I pick neither laugh nor bite. There is other option.

For GWS? Who?
For everybody, Nank can wait could even go the jack Martin path due to covid 19 list reduction. Nank body or form could become another delidio and Bryan Gibbs combo into 1 kind of trade. .

Tigers fans should know a premiership ruckman doesn’t automatically mean a good one after picking up Ben marsh from the crows.
Fair point but I reckon Nank is better than that. He beat Sam Jacobs in the 2017 granny when sauce was at his peak. He hasn't shown that form for a while though due to injury. Hopefully he can get back to it.

Stef Martin is the benchmark Nank should be aiming for. Same height, same weight. Both aggressive beasts. Martin took what 7 years to fulfill his potential? Nankervis is in his 6th now.

I really hope we keep him. If his hip is good to go, I reckon he is a capable #1 week in, week out at a minimum.

Yeah I think he is a similar player to Martin. Just a little on the short side to be a great tap ruckman. Steph tends to try and break even in the centre square and monster opposition Rucks at ball ups and throw ins. I think (should check) he has a very good free kick differential as many rucks panic and infringe as he gets on top.

Just how fit is Nankervis? Steph is a bit of a specimen. He is an animal in the weights room and he prepares himself very very well.

Yeah I think he is a similar player to Martin. Just a little on the short side to be a great tap ruckman. Steph tends to try and break even in the centre square and monster opposition Rucks at ball ups and throw ins. I think (should check) he has a very good free kick differential as many rucks panic and infringe as he gets on top.

Just how fit is Nankervis? Steph is a bit of a specimen. He is an animal in the weights room and he prepares himself very very well.

Pre groin injury, he was almost playing solo ruck with huge minutes, he was very fit and works as hard as anyone.The problem is, that groin has lingered now and its hard to gauge if he can get back to his best.

For everybody, Nank can wait could even go the jack Martin path due to covid 19 list reduction. Nank body or form could become another delidio and Bryan Gibbs combo into 1 kind of trade. .

Um he's is from the Billings. Salaem draft

Fit enough to win a flag as the only ruck - with one tall forward in the side

Nank is an OK tap ruck. the best can tear him apart and control the game.

Around the ground he is a good oversized ruck rover.

He's a great competitor and leader.

So he isn't a top line ruck. But is well and truly above average for the AFL. Remember most AFL rucks aren't that great. So his worth is actually probably driven by the clubs that need a competitive ruck. The point being that without a competitive ruck teams get reamed. So teams with good rucks on their last legs, or without a high grade AFL ruck will value him much higher than a player of comparable talent in any other position. The key to that is how many clubs really want him. If it's one or two do, and they aren't red hot then his value is fairly low - pick 35ish. If a few teams absolutely need that competent AFL ruck and the cupboard is bare then his worth is very high.

For a team that's coming on (young emerging) he provides leadership, mongrel and about 5 years service. For a team towards the end of their window he is plug and play. There are no top end rucks on the market, so he's probably the best around (if he does go). It'll be interesting to see if there is competition for a genuine good AFL ruck, but with limitations. Especially if lists are reduced.

Pittonet is proof you can get a quality decent young(ish) ruckman for cheap, from a club that a surplus of ruck stocks.

Richmond are clearly looking for salary cap space/relief if they are looking to off load Nankervis (I don't get why they rate Soldo so highly) and that being the case, a 3rd round draft pick is probably the most realistic and best order they can get..

Personally I think the Tigers should keep him, unless as I say, they want to free up cap space.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back