Toddler left in hot car dies

Remove this Banner Ad

Assuming it wasn't deliberate it shouldn't be a crime. Deliberate being the cases of kids left in cars whilst parents go gambling etc. That said whilst I can understand in normal circumstances you could get into a 'I thought he had/she had the kid' situation if you are both rushing around I don't think that's an excuse for a car.

My two boys were never left unattended in our car at any time, short of a literal 10 second open door, post letter, hop back in car a couple of times. Never at a petrol station and certainly never out of sight whilst running errands into buildings. What if you are delayed? What if something happens to you? Or just a car without adults in it - cases of cars stolen with kids in the back have made the news enough times that no parent should leaving kids without an adult / older child with them. Yeah it was a fracking pain in the arse at times, but I would have thought a given these days.

There is always more to this sort of story than first meets the eye. The full details are never disclosed to the public, either intentionally (to make for a more spectacular headline) or because the police won't release the full details. Accidents should not be treated as crimes. It is hard to fathom sometimes how such small mistakes become such tragic oversights, but believe me, it happens all the time. Perhaps have a go at considering the full details of a story before screaming for blood. It is all too easy to read a newspaper, or watch the television and then go to a forum and post your opinion even if it is absolute rubbish and based on nothing but hearsay.

we recently studied an article at Uni about this very thing! it's very very haunting

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/27/AR2009022701549.html

That's a quite good article.

"Some people think, 'Okay, I can see forgetting a child for two minutes, but not eight hours.' What they don't understand is that the parent in his or her mind has dropped off the baby at day care and thinks the baby is happy and well taken care of. Once that's in your brain, there is no reason to worry or check on the baby for the rest of the day."

"Some people think, 'Okay, I can see forgetting a child for two minutes, but not eight hours.' What they don't understand is that the parent in his or her mind has dropped off the baby at day care and thinks the baby is happy and well taken care of. Once that's in your brain, there is no reason to worry or check on the baby for the rest of the day."
thanks for taking the time to read it...we were talking about it again at Uni yesterday, blown away by how this article was suddenly relevant

Sad sad story. I feel sorry for the parents. A terrible accident

you would never get over it - can't imagine how a marriage would work through the guilt and blame

especially if the mistake was made by a lapse in concentration because he was on the phone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hqdefault.jpg

I don't agree. Most parents with a young child would think about their child all the time.

My two boys were never left unattended in our car at any time, short of a literal 10 second open door, post letter, hop back in car a couple of times. Never at a petrol station and certainly never out of sight whilst running errands into buildings. What if you are delayed? What if something happens to you?

I do it at a petrol station but I just pay at the pump. I agree otherwise. I won't even leave my dog in the car for long if it's over 15 degrees or so.

My boy is only 6 months. I understand people can be tired or just have their mind on other things but I couldn't imagine something like this. They are terrible stories that seem to happen often.

I do it at a petrol station but I just pay at the pump. I agree otherwise. I won't even leave my dog in the car for long if it's over 15 degrees or so.

My boy is only 6 months. I understand people can be tired or just have their mind on other things but I couldn't imagine something like this. They are terrible stories that seem to happen often.

If I see a dog locked up in a car, I simply smash the window (if possible provide water) and leave a note with my contact details. Unfortunately it happens circa 3 times a year.

If I see a dog locked up in a car, I simply smash the window (if possible provide water) and leave a note with my contact details. Unfortunately it happens circa 3 times a year.

Really? Even if it's cool and a window is cracked?

I remember seeing it once in a car park in December in Melbourne. It was 35 degrees out! I got the police there.

I remember seeing it once in a car park in December in Melbourne. It was 35 degrees out! I got the police there.

on any day that the sun is out, thus circa 22 degrees or more and where the windows are closed.In Perth, the police won't come and council takes 1 hour.

I leave my contact details as a trojan horse for them to make contact and then use our lawyers to take the dog away from the owner unless they accept to go to dog training school.

Read the article.
I have read the article mate but as for believing everything that's in it personally I don't believe any of it.
It's a criminal offense to leave kids in hot cars even if it's accidental. Kids die once the car hits 50C.
I don't think that the guy's head was screwed on properly.

You never leave kids in a hot car on a hot day. Get some help because you are going to need it in the near future. I would love it if your other half sent you to the car on a hot day without the air conditioning on. You would die. So don't be an idiot.

Read the article.

I did. I still don't buy that it's possible for a decent parent to not think about their child all day and not think, "s**t I didn't drop them off at day care today". Hell, I remember if I left my lunch or smokes in the car.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back