Toast Tom Atkins - Premiership Player - 100 games

Remove this Banner Ad

His ball use still needs work but cant teach a bloke to hunt the footy like he did last night
Agreed.

His endeavour is remarkable.

That Max Rooke style blindness for the ball and total disrespect for what might happen is incredible. Its also short lived in terms of career length

And I dont use the Rooke comparison lightly but hes a difference maker at the moment. And Buckley drawing Selwood comparisons is not off base.

The #30 is alive.

GO Catters

List management is defined as series of procedures for gathering information about subscribers, analyzing their activities, ensuring the validity of their email addresses, cleaning an email list of inactive users, and so on. These steps assist companies in maintaining a healthy email list, which is essential for email marketing success.

ahem, I'm sure he is terrific guy, almost Christ like in his football application. I'd prefer if we look the former position and not the latter, we should be trying to find those needles in the hay stack, if we want to stay good we have to make do with less. The Menegola and Stewart types won't make it to the draft anymore.
I’m sure you’re making an excellent point. * shuffles feet *

Tom Atkins has become my favourite player at Geelong. His attitude is outstanding. He takes nothing for granted and has gone from a fringe hard nut to one of our most important midfielders. His rise is built on working on his deficiencies and elevating his strengths. He never feels he is owed anything.
I contrast that with a young talented player that we let go who felt he was owed a spot in the team. There’s a reason that guy doesn’t play for us anymore.
Often society rewards entitled individuals who rely on their talent but are unwilling to take honest feedback.
It’s fantastic to see a guy who hasn’t had the easy ride become a front liner and get some recognition.
Love him!

Tom Atkins has become my favourite player at Geelong. His attitude is outstanding. He takes nothing for granted and has gone from a fringe hard nut to one of our most important midfielders. His rise is built on working on his deficiencies and elevating his strengths. He never feels he is owed anything.
I contrast that with a young talented player that we let go who felt he was owed a spot in the team. There’s a reason that guy doesn’t play for us anymore.
Often society rewards entitled individuals who rely on their talent but are unwilling to take honest feedback.
It’s fantastic to see a guy who hasn’t had the easy ride become a front liner and get some recognition.
Love him!
He is the embodiment of the Frank Costa quote “hire for character, train for skill”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love him!
Yep good comparison.

If you had a workplace with attitude like he has it would be a joy. Sadly most don't.

Compare him also to entitled sooks in other teams, I could name a few but won't.

That rhymes, sorta, thmye to finish.

Hard worker, selfless type on the ground. Can do some classy things.

All clubs need these types. Definitely this team's version of Rooke, mentioned that a while back. I think he can have more influence on the game than Rooke though.

Not a world beater yet, but definitely gets a new contract, and is best 22.

Since I was a kid, sports writing has been some stats and couple quotes. Too much media coverage already so not much need for actual writing. The sports columnists however still had skills, but they're extinct now as well.
The hey day was back in the first half of the 20th century. Writers had to capture the imagination of readers who couldn't watch games, and then later couldn't hear the radio broadcast.
from a movie but it captures the idea
"To see the three Chiefs make a scoring rush, the bright colours of their jerseys flashing against the milky ice, was to see a work of art in motion."

It's spilled over into the commentary too. Howard Cosell was one of last great describers.
"Then there is a still higher type of courage – the courage to brave pain, to live with it, to never let others know of it and to still find joy in life; to wake up in the morning with an enthusiasm for the day ahead."

mass communications defaults to the least common denominator :(

When I first went to uni my lecturer in professional writing was a guy called Warwick Franks who at the time was the editor of Wisden Australia (the cricketing Bible).

He said at the time he feared for the art of sports writing for that very reason - this was 20 years ago - that it would devolve into regurgitation and quotes and he was right.

When I wrote i DID love a good stat but I would try almost as a rule to balance any ‘nerd speak’ with something colourful or humorous. I don’t see that very often anymore.

I will admit I watch all the panel shows (on Fox anyway) and I’m interested to some degree in the analytics of what they’re saying. But do you know who the one MAJOR figure in NewsCorp is that actually writes or presents with any feeling and any interpretation of the story they’re watching unfold?

Mark Robinson. Yes for all his bogan qualities and his overreaction and his teenage approach to how he presents, Robbo understands that there are stories unfolding.

‘I looked at that game on the weekend and I saw a team getting bashed and I thought to myself ‘who is going to stop this? Who is going to stand up? And you know who it was? It was so-and-so. In a team with X,Y,Z, it was this guy who wasn’t even getting a game 2 months ago and has been talked about as trade bait and we wondered what his best position even was, and he said ‘Nup. Not on my watch.’

That is SOMETHING. It’s not Shakespeare, it’s not Chaucer, it’s not Neville Cardus. But it’s SOMETHING that tells us what actually unfolded on the field.

Contrast it with this:

‘We saw on the weekend, that they simply weren’t competitive at contest. Their defensive transition numbers were down, they were getting clearances but see here, they were -27 at contest after winning a clearance. That to me isn’t good enough. We KNOW they’re a possession team, we KNOW they consistently rank high in pressure acts when they don’t have the ball but these numbers are really concerning for me.’

No prizes for guessing who I’m talking about.

Yes if I was a coach that would be interesting but I’m not, I’m one of the 7-8 million people that follow the sport and want to know the story of what my team did or didn’t do in their last game

im in a minority by I think Atkins was being accurate when he said he was a fringe player. He has to be playing at 110% to hold his spot. If he plays at that level he stays in, but he isn't a long term lock.
I hear ya! He leads our side by a mile in pressure acts and he's had some great moments this year, but he's "fringe", just like a few others who have more senior players to compete for the same position/role with. Not sure who's ahead of him for our second defensive mid rotation though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back