Tom Boyd vs. Jesse Hogan

Boyd vs. hogan

• Boyd (doggies supporter)

• Boyd

• Hogan (Dee's supporter)

• Hogan

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't you know Melbourne's kids are always the best kids...

Clearly. But to suggest someone is wrong for saying Boyd is as important to us as hogan is for Melbourne is just idiotic. I'd expect something like that from that trav20 spanner

Clearly. But to suggest someone is wrong for saying Boyd is as important to us as hogan is for Melbourne is just idiotic. I'd expect something like that from that trav20 spanner
If you took Hogan and Boyd from both of our lists it would hurt the Dees more. He is more valuable to us. He is the last player I want to lose from the club. And that was an easy decision. In which order would you give up Stringer, Macrae, Libba, Bont and Boyd? Is Boyd easily your most important player?

If you took Hogan and Boyd from both of our lists it would hurt the Dees more. He is more valuable to us. He is the last player I want to lose from the club. And that was an easy decision. In which order would you give up Stringer, Macrae, Libba, Bont and Boyd? Is Boyd easily your most important player?
If you watch dogs games you would have to say yes,

So if you had to give up either Bont or Boyd tomorrow you'd give up bont?
just because bont is my favourite doesn't mean he is most important? Have you seen how many times boyd has brought the ball to ground this year ? Maybe that's why his contribution has got us to 3-1

Hogan has had 3 years to learn melbournes system and in the VFL! Boyd has been given zero chance to develop at GWS and has been at the dogs since October.
If we are going to do comparisons, how about we compare Macrae / Stringer vs Toumpas? Or Salem/ Tyson vs the Bont?

Last edited:
just because bont is my favourite doesn't mean he is most important? Have you seen how many times boyd has brought the ball to ground this year ? Maybe that's why his contribution has got us to 3-1

Hogan has had 3 years to learn melbournes system and in the VFL! Boyd has been given zero chance to develop at GWS and has been at the dogs since October.
If we are going to do comparisons, how about we compare Macrae / Stringer vs Toumpas? Or Salem/ Tyson vs the Bont?
Hogan played one year in the VFL underage and then had a year off with back injury. Boyd played AFL. Before this season started you got half your votes in this thread by people saying "hogan hasn't even played one game yet" and now you claim he is better prepared...

Other comparisons are irrelevant in this thread except to highlight the importance to each team.

Surprised you'd choose to give up Bont. He has all the attributes and attitude to be the champion that will drag your club to a premiership, he's a winner. In that way he's similar to Hogan. I don't think Boyd has that edge.

Personally I think Stringers a better comparison for Hogan, both have that aggression, power, agility, X factor, goal nous while Hogans a few cm taller and quite a bit better in the air while Stringers faster, has better footskills and is better at ground level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I think Stringers a better comparison for Hogan, both have that aggression, power, agility, X factor, goal nous while Hogans a few cm taller and quite a bit better in the air while Stringers faster, has better footskills and is better at ground level.
Hogan is 1cm taller suprisingly

Hogan played one year in the VFL underage and then had a year off with back injury. Boyd played AFL. Before this season started you got half your votes in this thread by people saying "hogan hasn't even played one game yet" and now you claim he is better prepared...

Other comparisons are irrelevant in this thread except to highlight the importance to each team.

Surprised you'd choose to give up Bont. He has all the attributes and attitude to be the champion that will drag your club to a premiership, he's a winner. In that way he's similar to Hogan. I don't think Boyd has that edge.
what I'm saying is that hogan has had the opportunity to be in melborunes system for 3 years. (Not saying boyd is better)

There's no doubting Hogan is well ahead of Boyd at this stage. Doesn't mean Boyd won't be a star though - look at how guys like Brown and Hawkins started their careers.

Wouldn't change our group of youngsters for Melbournes though

What has he proven?

Remember this is a kid of four AFL games.
Yeah but he has still proven himself, he's a great contested mark, kicks goals and disposes well of the ball.

Yeah but he has still proven himself, he's a great contested mark, kicks goals and disposes well of the ball.

The kid has looked promising but remember he's still not kicked more than two goals in a game at AFL level.

He has proven nothing. Shown a hell of a lot of promise, but proven about the same at Tom Boyd - nothing.

Haha. It's not an indictment on Boyd that someone of Bontempelli's ability is on our list. It doesn't diminish his talent or value to our forward line, just as Hogan isn't immediately a better player because Melbourne don't have a Bont.

Watch us play and you'll see how important Boyd is. When he's down there taking grabs and bringing the ball to ground, we're deadly. When he's benched/in the ruck? Not so much.

They bring just as much to their respective sides in the role that they play. Credit to Hogan though, he's had the icing in the form of goals and impact around the ground.

If given the choice between the two right now, I'd take Hogan. But suggesting one is champion material and the other is not is just nonsense at this point in time - and I'd bet my last dollar that for the most part, it originates from the disproportionate expectation placed on Boyd because of his contract and the club he's at (ie. being the first decent tall forward under 30 to arrive at the kennel in decades).

The kid has looked promising but remember he's still not kicked more than two goals in a game at AFL level.

He has proven nothing. Shown a hell of a lot of promise, but proven about the same at Tom Boyd - nothing.

I think I'll back Jonathan Brown's opinion over yours. Brown hasn't seen a key forward come into the game with Hogan's impact yet you say he's proven nothing.

You couldn't spot talent if it gave you an uppercut.

Last edited by a moderator:

But MoC kept saying preseason that Hogan hadn't played an AFL game, but Boyd had. This was suppose to be some sort of validation for Boyd over Hogan.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'll back Jonathan Brown's opinion over yours. Brown hasn't seen a key forward come into the game with Hogan's impact yet you say he's proven nothing. You're a dill.

You couldn't spot talent if it gave you an uppercut.

Media hype. Fools lap it up and you are front and centre.

Back