Tom Boyd vs. Jesse Hogan

Boyd vs. hogan

• Boyd (doggies supporter)

• Boyd

• Hogan (Dee's supporter)

• Hogan

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

His pace is not blistering but it's good enough to get a metre on his opponent which given his size is all he really needs (I can see plenty of free kicks for chopping the arms given to him over the years). What's really letting him down is his tank. He was our worst endurance runner when he came to us but has improved a little bit and lost a bit of weight. Plenty of improvement to go there. He always looks buggered getting around the ground at the moment and probably isn't ready for AFL footy. Off the deck he's very good for a 200cm player but I can't see him ever being like Stringer for example.

Yeah looking at him he still appears to still have that upper body "mass" thats somewhere between fat / muscle that generally gets removed once they get some KM's into the legs. I remember Tom Hawkins was the same for a year or two and then came back after one preseason and had stripped it all away.

He'll need to get on top of it though, gotta have a tank to be a top key forward.

If you want to call it off stats, then go ahead.

I was so ready to not see anything from Hogan for a few years, but I'm wrong.

He has the biggest presence I have seen in a Dees forward since David Neitz, or possibly David Schwarz.

He has played four game, it's just tough to comprehend!

All this time and Hogan's name in the thread title still has an I in it. Somebody fix it for the sake of my sanity :(

both boys played ripper games last 2 weeks but only 1 of them is getting credit.

That's because people have already made up their minds on who is/will be the better player after watching just a handful of games between the two.

Fortunately, this is going to be a very long journey for both players before we begin to see who has who covered. Hogan looks a little more advanced at this stage. Boyd is still finding his feet at his new club. Had he remained at GWS, he'd probably be playing very similar to Hogan.

No do
both boys played ripper games last 2 weeks but only 1 of them is getting credit.

suppose friday night lights in a winning team mskes it more appealing
No doubt Boyd managed to play a descent game. What he needs to do is string a few together.

Yes agree, and because Boyd is Taller and has a less endurance tank he will take an extra year to make it in stats and goals wise to Hogan

It's ok if he doesn't. I've seen a lot of Dogs supporters trying to defend Boyd in these comparison threads even with mounting evidence that Hogan is going to be a bonafide star who will be better than Boyd. It will be fine if Hogan or McCartin or whoever is better than him just as long as he's good which it looks like he will be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's ok if he doesn't. I've seen a lot of Dogs supporters trying to defend Boyd in these comparison threads even with mounting evidence that Hogan is going to be a bonafide star who will be better than Boyd. It will be fine if Hogan or McCartin or whoever is better than him just as long as he's good which it looks like he will be.
Well all i will say is watch here in 2 years time from now, i think they all will be good and have their own qualities, Boyds will be that he will be hard to defend against with his height and marking ability

No do

No doubt Boyd managed to play a descent game. What he needs to do is string a few together.
Yep agree......both are beauties in my opinion but are different types

Hogan is you athletic Riewoldt type and Boyd is our monster tomahawk type

Just looking at them early, I think Hogan is the better footballer.

As in, he's just better at the things he needs to do to be productive.

No slight on Boyd, and it could change, but it probably won't.

Sort of like 90's North fans showing off to Cats supporters about having Carey though, the difference won't be enough to be a whole lot more than a matter of opinion should both get a decent run.

Just looking at them early, I think Hogan is the better footballer.

As in, he's just better at the things he needs to do to be productive.

No slight on Boyd, and it could change, but it probably won't.

Sort of like 90's North fans showing off to Cats supporters about having Carey though, the difference won't be enough to be a whole lot more than a matter of opinion should both get a decent run.
I honestly think that Hogan is the mobile CHF and Boyd is the stay at home FF like Hawkins. Once Boyd gets a tank he will be able to perform the way Hawkins does..

Due to Hogan being a mobile player it is easier for him to make more of an impact at this stage of his career. In some ways he is like a taller Jake Stringer with a bigger tank (although Stringers tank is now up to AFL standard).

So in some ways you can't really compare the two players. I would say Hogan is more likely to be similar to J.Cameron and Boyd will be like Hawkins/Cloke etc.

Jesse Hogan, Tom Boyd hasn't proved anything yet and Jesse has

suppose friday night lights in a winning team mskes it more appealing
Stats don't tell the whole story. Hogan's presence, footy smarts, work rate and competitive spirit are a level above Boyd. After 4 games he's leading the comp in contested marking. In the two games you highlighted they both took 6 marks each but how many of Boyd's were contested? How many packs did he smash? Where did he run and how was his positioning?

You listen to Carey and Dunstall gushing over Hogan in the media - it's not for nothing. I think Boyd will become a very good forward, one of the best in the comp, and he may well be a Hawkins type player. But Hogan will be Carey-esque.

Stats don't tell the whole story. Hogan's presence, footy smarts, work rate and competitive spirit are a level above Boyd. After 4 games he's leading the comp in contested marking. In the two games you highlighted they both took 6 marks each but how many of Boyd's were contested? How many packs did he smash? Where did he run and how was his positioning?

You listen to Carey and Dunstall gushing over Hogan in the media - it's not for nothing. I think Boyd will become a very good forward, one of the best in the comp, and he may well be a Hawkins type player. But Hogan will be Carey-esque.
Did you hear Dermie talking about Boyd yesterday? Did u even watch our match sunday night as i can tell you didnt!!! Boyd is just as important to us as Hogan is to melbourne. Dunstall was also talking Boyd up in the telecast on sunday night.

I was with you until there.
The kid's played 4 games, it's WAY too early to be making definitive calls like that.

Did you hear Dermie talking about Boyd yesterday? Did u even watch our match sunday night as i can tell you didnt!!! Boyd is just as important to us as Hogan is to melbourne. Dunstall was also talking Boyd up in the telecast on sunday night.
I'm sorry you disagree but you're wrong.

Back