Player Watch Tom Doedee - Departed for Brisbane, End of 1st Round FA Compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

Highlights of Draft Night
1) Wayne Milera - finally another Wayne on our list. Why settle for a Kieran, a Callum, a Clayton or a Darcy when you can have a good old fashion Wayne.
2) The 2006 Yattarna - drinking beautifully.
3) the marinated fillet steaks
4) Doogie DoeDee - child prodigy

What did we learn tonight?
1) Unlike Vader and many other posters the AFC do not see a need for inside midfielders. We ignored a conga-line 0f well credentialled inside mids to choose Doogie.
2) Unlike many posters the AFC do not see a need for more key defenders or we didn't rate Kieran Collins.
3) We wanted to draft a tall forward (e.g. Himmelberg) but Charlie Curnow stuffed up our plans. I can't prove it but signs are we wanted Harry McKay but once Curnow slid Carlton were able to pick up both McKay and Curnow.
4) We didn't rate or trust Charlie Curnow (who IMHO is much more likely to bite us on the bum than Ryan Burton).
5) We didn't want to take the risk with Burton or we are targetting a crack at the flag in 2017/18. Hawthorn can afford to be patient and play him in in the twos for a couple of years.
6) We had the need for speed. Milera was a no brainer (thanks Gold Coast) but we opted for a rebounding defender, possibly outside mid with pick 17. If it was our intention to take this type of player then we could have gone for Riley Bonner, Darcy Tucker or Mitch Hibberd. There would have been no complaints if we took any of these three players but we went for Doogie.

At the risk of joining the snivelling sycophants, I am willing to back the club!!!!!!!!!!!!

For our supposed glut of medium defenders, we did concede 5 goals to Dickson and 6 goals to Breust in the finals. The week before that, Stevie J had 8 shots on goal against us. Mid-sized forwards are clearly a problem for us. Smith and Henderson are lousy defensively and Brown is more suited to crumbing forwards.

Still, I would hope that Doedee is being earmarked as a mid and Kelly (who we upgraded with our next pick) plays that role.

My main issue with this is not necessarily the selection of Doedee, but the pick we used to select him.

Doadee was clearly not going to go till the second round.

We essentially traded Danger out to get an extra 1st round pick, but end up using one of these picks on someone that we could have picked up in the second round.

Just seems extremely wasteful and an opportunity missed by our trading/draft team.
How is that clear?

Which Recruiters have you spoken to & from which clubs .......everyone's assuming because he's not a known name that he wasn't rated by clubs

For our supposed glut of medium defenders, we did concede 5 goals to Dickson and 6 goals to Breust in the finals. The week before that, Stevie J had 8 shots on goal against us. Mid-sized forwards are clearly a problem for us. Smith and Henderson are lousy defensively and Brown is more suited to crumbing forwards.

Still, I would hope that Doedee is being earmarked as a mid and Kelly (who we upgraded with our next pick) plays that role.
Coach has said Doedee has the potential to play midfield

Seems like a weird pick but just go look at the Goldstein thread on the North Board from when he was drafted.

Sometimes those that seem like weird picks turn out alright.

Would you have said the same if we'd drafted Francis?
Well if we took Francis I would be confident that we didn't overpay and there was no way of getting more out of our picks.

In a year when we lost our best player it hurts that we didn't make the most of our picks. I feel we could have squeezed out another pick given we had doadee in mind. This pick could have been used to trade for Hampton instead of using next years pick even.

That seems a stupid comment for Ogilve to make as the Phantom drafts were all pretty well spot on for the picks. I can't see how people can try and claim that the phantom drafts are written by mugs when most correctly picked around 17-18 out of tonight's top 20. Those numbers actually suggest that they have a pretty good handle on where players are rated leading into the draft.
Phantoms were accurate for first 16 picks then went wildly off the mark. Hibberd, Mathieson, Balic, Bonner and Tucker were all picked to go at least 10 places earlier than they did.

Dangerfield was absolutely NOT rated top 15 pick. Now you are just taking bullshit. The lowest any mock draft had him was at pick 25.. He wasn't even considered as a first rounder.

The meltdown at this time of the year on this board is priceless. Everyone is an armchair expert. This sort of thing was always going to happen in an even draft it just happened to be us this time around. Collingwood's pick didn't even have a profile on afl website and they have some of the best recruiters going around.

Given our track records with first round picks since Hamish has been part of our recruiting team, I am confident that we have picked a very good player. In a few years time this thread will get a bump for some genuine lols.
How many are questioning if he will be a very good player or we could have got him cheaper?

How is that clear?

Which Recruiters have you spoken to & from which clubs .......everyone's assuming because he's not a known name that he wasn't rated by clubs

That's generally a pretty good indication.

Its not only that, but where most pundits had him being drafted, which is well outside the top 50.

Its not only that, but where most pundits had him being drafted, which is well outside the top 50.
Yes because his exposure was only 4 U18 games with Geelong Falcons and a back flanker in a VIC Country team full of stars

Just no exposure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Skippos had Doedee ranked #82 in this year's draft :eek:

Knightmare at #40

Haven't seen much so don't trust me. Not sold. Love basketballers thoigh, suspect we think he can become a mid with that skill set. Fair play, backing themselves. Ogilvie rarely wrong. I'm cynical but I'll give the lad a chance.

No they weren't right .....they replicated the main media Phantom Drafts and responded accordingly

Every Phantom Draft today compared to 4 weeks ago was completely different .......hell, i can wait for Emma Quayle's draft or Brett Anderson's draft to come out and replicate :rolleyes:

Amazing that all the Phantom Drafts in the last few days suddenly had Oliver at #4 ........4 weeks earlier he was in most drafts late teens/early 20's

No-one 4 weeks ago had Rioli anywhere near the first round .....or Ah Chee at #6
But they did in the last few days

Of course they are going to change leading into the draft, outside of the first couple of picks I would imagine that most clubs wouldn't have even made firm decisions on drafting 4+ weeks before the draft.

Clearly rumours of which clubs are interested in which players forms a big part of the phantom draft criteria and that wouldn't become clear until just before the draft.

How would you feel if you found out now that our recruiters rated James Hird at pick 25 but didn't take him because everyone else had him at 75. We pay these guys to rate talent and if they believe that this kid is best available at 17 then I expect them to take him there. Kudos to them for having the courage of their convictions.

Just had a look at his highlights. Looks very good 1-on-1, very good awareness, composure in traffic, has potential....but that's just a highlight reel. Looks more like a player you would pick with pick 27 than pick 17.

Who knows, maybe he interviewed really well. Maybe this is one that we will come back to in a few years praising our recruiters.

Actually it's more disappointing than that. When we did the Danger no one was fussed that we gave up a pick in the 50s. That pick in the 50s should have got us Doedee. We could have then use 16 on a expected first rounder.

People might say we didn't have a spot, well we could not have upgraded Kelly. Another half back flanker.

And this is no knock on Doedee just sensible list management.
Exactly.

Once again, we're shown to be goldfish swimming in a shark tank.

What a horrible off season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back