Strategy Tom Langdon trade bait.

Remove this Banner Ad

The big reasons people rag on Langdon (misguided but they do) I think is because he appears laconic or nonchalant. Hence they attribute any mistake to lack of intensity and that amps up in any crucial play.
The other reason is that since it’s become somewhat acceptable on bigfooty to give him a spray it hence becomes the norm.

But he’s quite ok, good player. Developing nicely in the whole defensive unit.

Hold on a sec. Much of the criticism has been rightly justified. Only two weeks ago he was atrocious with ball in hand and with his lack of defensive application. He is still inconsistent. Dismissing peoples negative opinions as BigFooty 'norm' is pretty condescending.

Langdon is very good at what he's good at, but absolutely awful at what he isn't. On balance he's a keeper but he'll be ******* frustrating his whole career, much like Maynard probably will be.

..........and as per my post earlier.....just like Toovey Shaw OBrien and Maxwell were. And plenty of other premiership teammates. Gotta take the good with the bad. As long as the good outweighs the bad.

I remember our fans getting angry with Lumumba for taking too much on when running out of defence with that high lifting gait of his, and getting caught.

I remember Heater copping it for his brain fades.

Presti for being too one dimensional (see ball, punch ball).

Maxy for not being a superstar.

Defenders are always heavily scrutinised because their mistakes can be fatal. Tommy is just the latest in a long line.

Beat ya to it!!!

Benny Johnson anybody?

Funny enough whether Thatsgold is fishing or not players similar in size, shape and position to Langdon on the ground, our list has abundant player options.

I personally would consider trading Langdon and others of similar ilk to get back in this year's first round or as an alternative to a first round pick in say a 'Lynch' trade.

Small forwards is another area of the ground we currently have abundant options of players. Fas, Blair are names that have been thrown around on BF as possible trade options.

It`s really all about having options and how valuable the first round player talent is or a 'Lynch' trade is to the club.

I would imagine if CFC are in the running to play finals then Lynch might become an important trade option. Players like Langdon, Scharenberg, Fas, Maynard, Blair and others might become expendable.

Funny enough whether Thatsgold is fishing or not players similar in size, shape and position to Langdon on the ground, our list has abundant player options..

The thread is two years old.

He named the options.

Nathan Brown
Ben Reid
Jon Marsh
Jeremy Howe
Matthew Scharenberg
Jackson Ramsay
Marley Williams
Jack Frost
Lachlan Keefe
Tom Langdon
Ben Sinclair
Brayden Maynard

Who are now
rotting at StKilda
moved to the forward line
gone
still in defence
still in defence
gone
rotting at North
rotting at Brisbane
rotting at GWS
retired due to injury
still in defence

Not a single player that we lost has kicked on and all the ones we kept have kicked on.

Laughable that he had Langdon behind all them

Last edited:
No the main reason people bag Langdon is becuase he turns the ball over too much and when he's not he only goes the safe option. The only hurt factor he has is against us.

That was a nice strawman though.
Ok

Hold on a sec. Much of the criticism has been rightly justified. Only two weeks ago he was atrocious with ball in hand and with his lack of defensive application. He is still inconsistent. Dismissing peoples negative opinions as BigFooty 'norm' is pretty condescending.
Ok

The thread is two years old.

He named the options.

Nathan Brown
Ben Reid
Jon Marsh
Jeremy Howe
Matthew Scharenberg
Jackson Ramsay
Marley Williams
Jack Frost
Lachlan Keefe
Tom Langdon
Ben Sinclair
Brayden Maynard

Who are now
rotting at StKilda
moved to the forward line
gone
still in defence
still in defence
gone
rotting at North
rotting at Brisbane
rotting at GWS
retired due to injury
still in defence

Not a single player that we lost has kicked on and all the ones we kept have kicked on.

Laughable that he had Langdon behind all them
Your in a very aggressive mood this weekend Tim.

I merely said that Langdon is an option of many that could be up for trade depending on the clubs position.

I am a Langdon fan too but at the end of the day Langdon has currency because he is a good player and therefore is trade bait.

Your argument is irrelevant regardless when the thread was posted, IMO.

Last edited:
Your in a very aggressive mode this weekend Tim.

I merely said that Langdon is an option of many that could be up for trade depending on the clubs position.

I am a Langdon fan too but at the end of the day Langdon has currency because he is a good player and therefore is trade bait.

Your argument is irrelevant regardless when the thread was posted, IMO.

Didnt have a problem with the rest of your post but your reference to Thats Gold was incorrect as it implied it was one of his more recent genius suggestions. Its not. Its two years old and he was wrong at the time.

As the team improves and competition for spots heats up and as we aim to land Lynch or similar, almost everyone is trade bait. Langdon is not immune to that if it helps us land a good player. But hes one of many. Not sure why he is being singled out.

Didnt have a problem with the rest of your post but your reference to Thats Gold was incorrect as it implied it was one of his more recent genius suggestions. Its not. Its two years old and he was wrong at the time.

As the team improves and competition for spots heats up and as we aim to land Lynch or similar, almost everyone is trade bait. Langdon is not immune to that if it helps us land a good player. But hes one of many. Not sure why he is being singled out.

Cheers,

It wasn't my intention to single him out, my apologies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dunn and Reid won't be around for much longer. We're going to need another tall defender and another tall forward to combine with McClarty and Moore.
They won't but they're still best 22 and playing good footy right now.

There aren't too many players on our list I think should be excused from trade consideration if the right offer comes but people are kidding themselves if they think Langdon will/should be traded because they believe he's a turnover merchant or lacks intensity.

There aren't too many players on our list I think should be excused from trade consideration if the right offer comes but people are kidding themselves if they think Langdon will/should be traded because they believe he's a turnover merchant or lacks intensity.
But not perhaps if we think we have enough others to play his role equally well or better - especially if another club needs that role filled badly enough to give us something slightly over the odds in return.
Not many clubs seem to be willing to give up picks that easily anymore, so we might be better off looking for a player swap that helps us fill a greater list need.

But not perhaps if we think we have enough others to play his role equally well or better - especially if another club needs that role filled badly enough to give us something slightly over the odds in return.
Not many clubs seem to be willing to give up picks that easily anymore, so we might be better off looking for a player swap that helps us fill a greater list need.
Who have we got that can step up and replace Shaz or Langdon if traded,and can match the output straight away

McLarty key position, more likely to replace Dunn long term I would think...
That surely is the plan.

I’m loving Dunn.

And from what I hear, besides McLarty having vice like hands, he’s an absolute terrific kid.
Head screwed on.
So hope he makes it.

A good egg.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back