MRP / Trib. Tom Stewart - Result 4 week match suspension

Remove this Banner Ad

Was there? That is even worse of the umpires then as they were aware of the incident.

The umpires have dropped the ball twice in two weeks with this. First with Will Powell last week and now with Prestia. There was another one recently as well where the play should have been stopped.

Thankfully it has not caused any further issues to a players health, but the other issue is a team being a man down..
They reported him on the field so the umpires were well aware of it

There was a free kick? What are you on about? And the fact there wasn't a stop in play is actually part of the discussion, play should have been stopped as the ball went over a clearly concussed players head.

Further, in this send off rule type thing, I imagine these incidents would be reviewed and dog shotting someone in the head would have seen Stewart sent off in review. I doubt umpires would be given the right to straight up send players off without review.

If there was a send off rule, I don't think it should be the umpire making the call. They have enough to focus on already and can get better at that, no point giving them more to think about it. I also don't think play should stop. If it took 5 minutes to come to the decision that a player should be sent off, then I'm ok with that occurring whilst play continues. Red card could then be given at the next break of play. It shouldn't be used very regularly though, I'd imagine it might be used once or twice a season, when a clear reportable offence and the player is clearly knocked out as Prestia was, then it should be provided, but its not something that should be thrown out for minor incidents IMO. I'm also happy that the send off rule, would result in the medi sub being triggered to replace the sent off player.

Weeks irrelevant really.

The bigger question is how can we still allow a player to remain on the field, after taking out an opposition player for the rest of the game?

The AFL have brought in a concussion rule, which means players are no longer allowed to continue playing that game or the next.
So in line with that - now the opposition player has to be penalised in the same game.

Why haven't the AFL brought in a red card rule?
What is threshold for a send off though?
Dangerfield's hit on Vlastuin in the GF even after watching on video some would argue is a send off while many would disagree with that

After reading up on all the carry-on before watching it, I was expecting another Gaff/Brayshaw incident. And the media think that they don't sensationalise incidents. Look he'll cop 4 weeks, but come on, It wasn't a dog act! Just a legal bump excuted poorly. Nothing more.
"Legal bump executed poorly" really?

It's like saying a player is on the ground tapping the footy forward whilst the opposition player boots him in the head and knocks him out,
"Legal kick, executed poorly"

The onus is on the player to protect the opposition player especially if you are about to engage in a "risky and dangerous play". Bumping is just that, a risk and in this case, it was very late and a deliberate act which resulted in a player seeing stars.. Dangerous

Just think how much impact, how forceful an arm/shoulder with 90kg behind "forceful momentum" would be on a defenceless unsuspecting head...

You risk harm you pay the consequences

Dangerfield's hit on Vlastuin in the GF even after watching on video some would argue is a send off while many would disagree with that

I think there would need to be specific guidelines. Off the ball would need to be 1, and for that then no Dangerfield's would not qualify for me. As much as I didn't like him bracing his elbow for the contact and knocking Vlastuin out, the hit yesterday was worse, as it was a lot further away from play than the Dangerfield one.

I reckon Richmond started this whole good bloke at the tribunal stuff anyway. Remember ******* Waleed Aly coming in to defend Houli for punching a guy by saying he does good stuff? Who gives a *, it's football, you break the rules you suffer the punishment regardless if your surname is Gandhi.
The good bloke defence has existed since the tribunal has existed. Richmond just turned it up to 11 in that case and it backfired.

I don't like it when coaches can get away with discussing incidents in this way to try and mitigate suspensions. Brad Scott used to the worst at this so it is not going to stop under his watch

To me that is an attempt to try and persuade the MRO that it wasn't intentional which shouldn't be happening

Nope very different things.

I'd think we're well past the days of taking players out deliberately. If Stewart lined his head up he'd know he'd be risking a month off. Not worth it.

He deliberately bumped him, yes. Did he likely deliberately bump him in the head, no, that's what Scott is saying. Does it matter in regards to the tribunal - no, it'll be graded intentional as he chose to bump off play.

Nathan Brown on Saad got 3 weeks and that was a head clash, clearly Brown didn't intentionally whiplash his head into Saads, but it was the act of bumping off the ball that was intentional. And that's what matters.

Can both be intentional by tribunal interpretation and also not intentional to knock him out.

Deliberate action, high contact, player out of game concussion rule would be the 3 criteria.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People need to stop saying he ran passed the ball. He came up to compete with Prestia, who sensed him coming and knocked the ball away from them. Stewart can't suddenly move 5m back and sideways and contest the ball.

He then chose to bump to block Prestia running on. That's what all defenders do in this situation.

He was too forceful but watch any game from your own side and you'll see the same scenario over and over again.

Prestia didn't help himself by continuing to watch the ball and not bracing for any contact and unfortunately being shorter he dropped right in to Stewart's shoulder when I'm sure Stewart was expecting shoulder or body/shoulder contact.

It's an incredible crude and forceful accident that you rightly don't get away with these days but it looked a lot worse than it was.

Ah yep, Prestias fault give him 3 weeks for getting in the way. D***head

I would agree with that but he will get 3 because the narrative of him being really sorry has already begun on FOX Footy.
Most players are really sorry after incidents such as this. Bacher Houli was genuinely sorry for his hit on Jed Lamb too, but the appeal determined that being sorry and a nice guy isn't enough to warrant a discount on the suspension.

Last edited:
Gaff's hit on Brayshaw was 6 weeks.

So it will not be 6 weeks.

Prestia effectively out for 2 matches, so it's gotta be more than 2.

3-4 weeks.

I said 4 from the beginning, Prestia gasping for air in the hands of the trainer, as he's on his knees was uncomfortable viewing. If Prestia had of bounced back up and delayed concussion, Stewart for 2, but the uncomfortable vision of Prestia struggling for a very long time has to move this up to 3-4 weeks.

Id be going 4 clean weeks.

"Legal bump executed poorly" really?

It's like saying a player is on the ground tapping the footy forward whilst the opposition player boots him in the head and knocks him out,
"Legal kick, executed poorly"

The onus is on the player to protect the opposition player especially if you are about to engage in a "risky and dangerous play". Bumping is just that, a risk and in this case, it was very late and a deliberate act which resulted in a player seeing stars.. Dangerous

Just think how much impact, how forceful an arm/shoulder with 90kg behind "forceful momentum" would be on a defenceless unsuspecting head...

You risk harm you pay the consequences

I didn't say he doesn't deserve a penalty. He chose to bump, which you are legally aloud to do still, but made contact with the head (which I don't think was deliberate). As I said, he'll cop weeks, but come on. A dog act? Poor execution, but hardly dirty.

There is no such thing as a dog act in AFL football. That is a term used by irrational and over-emotional football fans who really have no idea.
nice deflection for one of your own, you will notice I didn't call Dangerfields hit a Dog act because it wasn't, but Stewart had a choice and decided to take out an unprotected player.
So it was a dog act.
If the situation was reversed and Prestia knocked out Stewart. arse clowns like you would be calling for the death penalty.
Clown

Remove this Banner Ad

Back