MRP / Trib. Tom Stewart - Result 4 week match suspension

Remove this Banner Ad

They could award it retrospectively if there isn't a candidate. Gaff got 33 and 1 after he broke Brayshaw's face.

Stewart wasn't the first to put in such a heroic, against the odds, performance.

I'd say Danger in the 2020 GF after the Vlastuin incident, but he was close to BoG for Richmond...

Geelong fans should be fighting for the Red card rule.

You reckon next time around the Tigers won't be up and about ? Geelong choosing to play this card in Round 15 is bewildering. I would have done this in the finals, great move for a finals match, great intensity, but Round 15?

If tigers and cats meet in the finals, there's no way the Tigers aren't sending some of those 35 year olds to their rightly place in the retirement home

A lot of 'late hit' comments.

Prestia punches the ball away while Stewart is on his right foot.

Takes one step, travelling at speed, before impact. Cops Prestia while on his left foot. Literally one step later. We've all seen the slow motion replay, but in real time it wasn't even a split second between ball being knocked away and point of impact.

Huge hit, will miss weeks, but it's a long way from 'ran past the ball to line him up.'

Certainly got nothing on Alex Rance punching a prone Jack Watts in the back of the head or Bachar Houli (best on in the the 2017 grand final) taking Jed Lamb's head off.

There's big hits in football, and then there's dog shots. Let's not confuse the two.
Scott quoted Stewart as admitting he chose to run pst the ball and bump Prestia. It wasn’t a momentum/wrong foot action.

Geelong fans should be fighting for the Red card rule.

You reckon next time around the Tigers won't be up and about ? Geelong choosing to play this card in Round 15 is bewildering. I would have done this in the finals, great move for a finals match, great intensity, but Round 15?

If tigers and cats meet in the finals, there's no way the Tigers aren't sending some of those 35 year olds to their rightly place in the retirement home

Highly doubt it, we're better than that.

Cats have done it twice now, in the match where it mattered it didnt work.

The tribunal has the discretion to change the charge.....
"C) CLASSIFIABLE OFFENCES DIRECTLY REFERRED TO THE TRIBUNAL
Regarding Classifiable Offences directly referred to the Tribunal, the MRO may classify the relevant factors of Conduct, Impact and Contact or alternatively directly refer the matter to the Tribunal ungraded.
The Tribunal in its absolute discretion may determine that the relevant Reportable Offence should be classified differently, and in such cases will apply the consequences according to that classification (as per Regulation 19.6(a)(i))."

Thanks for posting that. I guess that at least offers the vague possibility of the Tribunal upgrading the charge themselves.

But would they ever do that when they have both the prosecution and the defence arguing for the weaker charge?

In any event, doesn’t this whole setup strike you as unnecessarily odd and complex?

What would make much more sense to me without considering the entire system from scratch here….is once the case is referred to the Tribunal the AFL advocate automatically argues as strongly as possible for the greatest possible suspension. The player advocate of course argues for no penalty or the minimum realistic penalty. And the Tribunal after hearing all the arguments simply decides on what they consider the right outcome.

Do you agree with that?

A lot of 'late hit' comments.

Prestia punches the ball away while Stewart is on his right foot.

Takes one step, travelling at speed, before impact. Cops Prestia while on his left foot. Literally one step later. We've all seen the slow motion replay, but in real time it wasn't even a split second between ball being knocked away and point of impact.

Huge hit, will miss weeks, but it's a long way from 'ran past the ball to line him up.'

Certainly got nothing on Alex Rance punching a prone Jack Watts in the back of the head or Bachar Houli (best on in the the 2017 grand final) taking Jed Lamb's head off.

There's big hits in football, and then there's dog shots. Let's not confuse the two.
Ok, let’s run with your version of events as above but instead Prestia takes control of the ball.

Stewart was clearly always choosing to bump Prestia. He was so close that he couldn’t have changed his mind.

So Prestia takes the ball and Stewart now barrels into Prestia who has the ball in hand. It’s not late (bc Prestia has taken possession), but Prestia still ends up decked.

Stewart is still as guilty, having chosen to bump when he could have tackled. It’s still a choice he made and then a choice he executed poorly.

Thanks for posting that. I guess that at least offers the vague possibility of the Tribunal upgrading the charge themselves.

But would they ever do that when they have both the prosecution and the defence arguing for the weaker charge?

In any event, doesn’t this whole setup strike you as unnecessarily odd and complex?

What would make much more sense to me without considering the entire system from scratch here….is once the case is referred to the Tribunal the AFL advocate automatically argues as strongly as possible for the greatest possible suspension. The player advocate of course argues for no penalty or the minimum realistic penalty. And the Tribunal after hearing all the arguments simply decides on what they consider the right outcome.

Do you agree with that?
I suspect the AFL counsel may well push for a grading of intentional.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He chose to bump, but did Stewart intentionally try to hurt Prestia? It's going to be difficult to prove it to be intentional...

Last edited:
I suspect the AFL counsel may well push for a grading of intentional.

That will be interesting to see if that happens.

My reading of it is the AFL Counsel takes his instruction from B Scott, who is effectively the MRO. The MRO(B Scott) has made a grading of careless. So it would seem strange to me if the counsel he instructs then argues for a grading of intentional. I hope I am wrong. But we shall see.

Severe is bonkers

I've seen much more force applied in similar situations
High puts it at 2 weeks. There is no way the AFL were going to allow him to get away with 2 for that.

The AFL would be working out the penalty and trying to fit the gradings to that. Intentional could be argued down at the tribunal to careless, much harder to argue that it wasn't severe.

No idea how that gets graded careless

Hitting a bloke that late is deliberate
It was explained to me once that its how deliberately running a red light and having a car accident is not intentionally causing an accident.

It used to be called "driving without due care" (ie careless) or more seriously "dangerous driving".

In this case, they'd argue that Stewart did not intentionally look to hit Prestia in the head.

Bullsh1t isn't it?

That will be interesting to see if that happens.

My reading of it is the AFL Counsel takes his instruction from B Scott, who is effectively the MRO. The MRO(B Scott) has made a grading of careless. So it would seem strange to me if the counsel he instructs then argues for a grading of intentional. I hope I am wrong. But we shall see.
Isn't Michael Christian still the MRO? Or does Brad Scott do everything now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back