Opinion Top 4 sides should not be able to access free agents.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jakksynn

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don’t know about you guys but watching Tom Lynch absolute tear apart a prelim for Richmond doesn’t exactly fill me with good feelings. He abandoned a side on the bottom of the ladder to go to a side coming off winning a premiership and then making a prelim.

Now it’s absolutely nothing against him or against Richmond per se, it’s just how I feel about it. I don’t think in the interests of running a fair and even competition we can have top 4 sides acquiring superstar players from bottom sides for almost nothing. That’s how good sides stay good and bad sides get worse.

How do you feel about it? Do you like the theatre of it? Or are you with me here?

The equalisation we have now is more than enough. s**t clubs stay s**t because of s**t management.

I don’t know about you guys but watching Tom Lynch absolute tear apart a prelim for Richmond doesn’t exactly fill me with good feelings. He abandoned a side on the bottom of the ladder to go to a side coming off winning a premiership and then making a prelim.

Now it’s absolutely nothing against him or against Richmond per se, it’s just how I feel about it. I don’t think in the interests of running a fair and even competition we can have top 4 sides acquiring superstar players from bottom sides for almost nothing. That’s how good sides stay good and bad sides get worse.

How do you feel about it? Do you like the theatre of it? Or are you with me here?

Be careful. If you throw your toys too far from your cot you might not be able to find them again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Free Agents going to top 4 teams

Quinten Lynch (COL)
Clinton Young (COL)
Jonathan Simpkin (HAW) *Premiership

Colin Sylvia (FRE)
Lance Franklin (SYD)
Jeremy Laidler (SYD)
Tom Derickx (RIC)

James Frawley (HAW) *Premiership
Jarrad Waite (NM)
Shaun Higgins (NM)

Lachlan Keeffe (GWS)

Tom Lynch (RIC) *Premiership

Top 4 teams haven't really done much in this space anyway. Franklin, Higgins and Lynch are the only big pickups.

Last edited:

SORRY

He's taking up a million dollars of their salary cap, so he doesn't come for nothing at all.

I think its fine personally. For all the carry on, Tom Lynch is probably the first and only player that is a genuine star that left a bottom club to go to a top club using the free agency system. Franklin went from one top club to another. I guess Higgins sort of went from a bottom club to a top club (at the time, though Bulldogs would rise up soon after) but lets be real, no one rated him as a star at the time. He's come on in a big way and been able to get his body right.

Richmond actually did lose a few players to salary cap pressure but to their credit they were able to fill the void, including picking up some good youngsters. So more good management than abusing the system.

Also people make out like Gold Coast really suffered, at least they got a top pick because they were on the bottom. Better compensation than they probably would have got through a trade and far better than would happen if one of the better clubs lost a player of a that calibre. When you look at free agency as a whole - it really hasn't had that big an impact on the AFL. Trading is still far and away the most common way to change clubs.

Free Agents going to top 4 teams

Quinten Lynch (COL)
Clinton Young (COL)
Jonathan Simpkin (HAW) *Premiership

Colin Sylvia (FRE)
Lance Franklin (SYD)
Jeremy Laidler (SYD)
Tom Derickx (RIC)

James Frawley (HAW)
Jarrad Waite (NM)
Shaun Higgins (NM)

Lachlan Keeffe (GWS)

Tom Lynch (RIC)

Top 4 teams haven't really done much in this space anyway. Franklin, Higgins and Lynch are the only big pickups.

Ummmm Frawley ?

I think the system okay. Tigers obviously did very well with Lynch but it’s not like we’re seeing the same clubs at the top pick up all of the free agents. We’ve had 6 different teams in the grand final in the past 3 seasons (not including this year). I’d say equalisation is working well.

I'm not a fan, it's too heavily weighted in favour of the player.

There needs to be a balance the other way where clubs can trade a player (if they are under contract) to the club that can offer them the best deal.

Good on the tigers for getting him but it didn't sit well with me then and it certainly doesn't now.

Bad look for football, make the rich richer constantly.

It’s not free agency then is it?
You understand what the term means don’t you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back