Top 4/Top 8 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm trying to assess which match-up gives WC the best chance of winning a final in Week 1: Port away, Brisbane away or Sydney away.

Can't say any of those scenarios fills me with confidence.

I think you are right, Brisbane don't look as good without Hipwood though. I think that might be your best chance.

I think you are right, Brisbane don't look as good without Hipwood though. I think that might be your best chance.
Those are basically the only options. WC aren't finishing above 7th, and 5th and 6th will be filled by two of Brisbane, Port and Sydney.

Although now that I look at it, I guess there's some chance of Melbourne slipping out of the top 4.

Brisbane don't look as good without Hipwood though. I think that might be your best chance.

The weird thing is that we play Brisbane in Brisbane in the final round. If we manage to beat them, it probably increases the chance of them missing the top four and them hosting us again a fortnight later as 5 v 8 or 6 v 7.

If they win, they become more likely to clinch 4th spot, meaning WC play Sydney or Port.

Last edited:

I may be wrong as i have not researched it, but from memory the eight has had four Victorian teams and four interstate teams in it at the end of the year.

I'm trying to assess which match-up gives WC the best chance of winning a final in Week 1: Port away, Brisbane away or Sydney away.

Can't say any of those scenarios fills me with confidence.
Port have struggled to beat any of the top sides this year. Brisbane looking shaky with the injuries to their spine. Both winnable games for West Coast

Where would a Sydney vs WC final be played, if it's Geelong just kill me now.
I feel Sydney might actually push for that, which would be all kinds of funny as a cats fan if the got it.

I think we will Bradbury 8th spot. The Giants should drop their next 2, Essendon also have hard games and look to be slowing down. We prob only need to win 3 of 4, but every game is loseable the way we are playing.

With all due respect to the Tigers, I think if they go into next round thinking it's just going to happen against Fremantle in WA, they might be in for a rude shock.

I thought Richmond actually played reasonably well yesterday, but unless they have a few stars coming back in, it's just a very weak outfit that they're putting on the park. They have too many passengers currently and a week was a long time in football for Nankervis and Chol, lowering their colours to Geelong's Achilles' heel ruck division.

The battle for 8th is one of the biggest watches in recent years. All the teams there have been incredibly flakey and it's a lottery which one will fail less over the last month.

Giants, Bombers, Freo, Tigers, Saints.

Even more interestingly, there's a huge amount of games where they those teams either play each other, or other teams higher in the 8.

These 5 teams believe it or not will shape the entire final 8 with their results, have a look at the fixture.

The battle for 8th is one of the biggest watches in recent years. All the teams there have been incredibly flakey and it's a lottery which one will fail less over the last month.

Giants, Bombers, Freo, Tigers, Saints.

Even more interestingly, there's a huge amount of games where they those teams either play each other, or other teams higher in the 8.

These 5 teams believe it or not will shape the entire final 8 with their results, have a look at the fixture.
Add WCE to that list, they are currently 2 games clear of 9th but have a pretty difficult run home, with Collingwood (MCG), Melbourne, Freo and Brisbane. They'll go into two of those games as favourites but could easily see them dropping one of the Pies or Freo games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where would a Sydney vs WC final be played, if it's Geelong just kill me now.

So many factors at play but assuming covid isn't a factor in Victoria, WA or QLD but still is in NSW (likely) then I'd assume Marvel or GMHBA would be the likely venues (Slight chance of MCG depending on other fixtures). Metricon also a chance.

Although now that I look at it, I guess there's some chance of Melbourne slipping out of the top 4.

b42b13676873cf0f1dbb7d949f544709.jpg

West Coast will make it.

I had Bombers penciled in before they lost to GWS

I think 8th is down to Richmond and GWS. I think it will be GWS but it will probably come down to the game where they play each other.

Freo/Saints... no

GWS are the best of the teams fighting for 8th, but who knows where their heads are week to week.
Hopefully all the Swans finals are played in Geelong or at Marvel and they let our fans in.

So many factors at play but assuming covid isn't a factor in Victoria, WA or QLD but still is in NSW (likely) then I'd assume Marvel or GMHBA would be the likely venues (Slight chance of MCG depending on other fixtures). Metricon also a chance.

It's hard to see the Swans playing a home final at Metricon, unless Victoria is back in lockdown etc. In theory our last three H&A games will be in Melbourne: presumably they'll want to stay there for their week 1 final rather than moving again. I don't even see why KP would be in the frame. The AFL will either want the game at the MCG (to satisfy the contract) or at the Docklands (to save on rent).

With the 'L' in the middle column denoting you have picked West Coast to win the R22 Derby - that means you have predicted Freo will beat the Tigers and the Lions in the next two rounds. Whilst at Optus - I think you're in a very small minority who would back use to win both games. Granted, both have dropped off a bit, but I just can't see it myself. That's not even taking the R23 game at Marvel against the Saints into account - we are generally trash at Marvel.

Although it would be very dockery to beat the Tigers and Lions and then lose to the Saints with finals on the line.

Essendon won’t win another game and my money is on Sydney and the Dogs winning by 80+
We are nowhere near the 8 but it’s not our fault the teams around us are absolutely garbage too

Doesn’t matter how bad you played on the weekend your games with Swans go down to the wire and always can go either way. We are playing well but only when we need to atm. Start of sluggish again for a 3rd week in a row and our luck will run out. We ain’t beating anybody by 80 points that is for sure.

With the 'L' in the middle column denoting you have picked West Coast to win the R22 Derby - that means you have predicted Freo will beat the Tigers and the Lions in the next two rounds. Whilst at Optus - I think you're in a very small minority who would back use to win both games.

Fair enough. It appears I have more faith in them at home, fighting for a spot in the finals, than you do. We shall see if that faith is misplaced soon enough.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back