Recruiting Trade/Draft Talk III - Zaharakis for a SIG BET?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it was a matter of just our first next year for Wright I'd take it in a heartbeat. I'd even drive all the way to the airport and then chauffeur him down the road to the club myself.

He's gonna be a star, and possibly as soon as next season. Even as stacked with KP talent as next year's draft is meant to be, Wright's still more of a guarantee than any of those kids AND he'll already be physically developed and ready to go.

Sadly the problem would be that I'm not sure if he'll be keen to go, and if he is, there's no way GC would be happy with just our first. Plus there'd probably be another half a dozen clubs chasing him.
I'd drive him down from Metricon if we got him for our first.

800k a year, returning home and playing for a top 4 side opposed to a bottom 4 side would be a good place to start in regards to reasons of departing
You never know, but if they can keep the 4 or 5 guys they drafted this year, they'll have a pretty decent young midfield group in a few years. As for their ladder position, it'll depend on whether Ablett can stay healthy and keeps his form at the level it has been for a long time.

And I guess we didn't necessarily specify whether the "A-grade talent" we'd go after would be a free agent or a trade target.

Of course you would, Brown is borderline AFL standard and 2MP looks a star. As long as our first isn't 1-5 then it's a no brainer, if it is you probably think about it then do it anyway
Brown is absolutely AFL standard.

Let me rephrase, he's proven thus far to be serviceable at best and not particularly influential/dominating. Best evidence of this is his inability to lock in a defined role in 2016. I put him as depth, not absolute break glass in emergency level but wouldn't be best 22 for mine in 2017

Are there worse players than him getting a game across the league? Absolutely

Will he likely be a vital cog in a premiership team? Not in my book

Let me rephrase, he's proven thus far to be serviceable at best and not particularly influential/dominating. Best evidence of this is his inability to lock in a defined role in 2016. I put him as depth, not absolute break glass in emergency level but wouldn't be best 22 for mine in 2017

Are there worse players than him getting a game across the league? Absolutely

Will he likely be a vital cog in a premiership team? Not in my book

I think he's in that "third tall" category where he becomes quite a decent intercept defender or forward in a pinch.

Unfortunately for Brown; we have Hurley, Hooker, Hartley, Ambrose, Gleeson and Francis also all in that defender category. At many other teams he'd be quite comfortably Best 22 as a defender I'd think, we just happen to have recruited a bucketload of tall defenders over the years hoping (and failing) at turning them in to forwards.

Wouldn't be surprised if they asked for something like our 1st + Mitch Brown. Which I would do in a heartbeat.
This is only a nudge beyond your suggestion they should trade for Ashby. Clubs only trade for role-players if the player offers critical experience, the list has a gaping hole or the club is a total basketcase.

One of the appealing things about having Brown and McKernan on the list (or otherwise having experienced key position depth) is that if they put together solid enough form next year, as ready-to-go key position players, they can be valuable commodities at the trade table. Having some AFL standard key position players invariably makes it easier to get deals done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Soo Brisbane gave a warm welcoming introduction to their 2016 draftee's:
HUN said:
Walking into a dark changing room, the Lions’ youngsters were “welcomed” with a water gun attack.

Certainly not the usual introduction to AFL life but they do things differently in the Sunshine State.
Instantly makes me think of this:

So McCluggage, Berry, Witherden, Cox, Allison, Lyons and maybe the rookies (Barrett, Hinge and McInerney) as well? So 20% of the team.

Worsfold seems to be pretty big on respect and professionalism. Like there's banter and then there's idiocy, y'know?

Welcome to the club! We like to **** around! Derp!
https%3A%2F%2Fs3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com%2Fvms-tv-images-prod%2F2016%2F08%2F24081%2F160814_AFL_Lions.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back