Recruiting Trade/Draft Talk III - Zaharakis for a SIG BET?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right so we're all done and dusted! The summary of our list changes this year:

TRADES:
Michael Hibberd & Pick 59 for Picks 29 & 68.
Pick 77 for James Stewart.

DELISTINGS & RETIREMENTS:
SENIOR LIST: Jason Ashby (delisted), Adam Cooney (retired), Courtenay Dempsey (delisted), Yestin Eades (delisted), Shaun Edwards (delisted), James Gwilt (delisted), Nicholas Kommer (delisted), Shaun McKernan (delisted), Tayte Pears (retired).

ROOKIE LIST: Tom Wallis (delisted), William Hams (delisted), Gach Nyuon (delisted).

DELISTED FREE AGENCY:
James Kelly, Matthew Dea & Josh Green.

NATIONAL DRAFT:
Pick 1: Andrew McGrath
Pick 22: Jordan Ridley
Pick 31: Josh Begley
Pick 42: Kobe Mutch
Pick 63: Dylan Clarke

ROOKIE ELEVATIONS
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti
Connor McKenna

ROOKIE DRAFT:
Pick 1: Sam Draper
Pick 19: Shaun McKernan (demoted)
Pick 37: Yestin Eades (demoted)

LIST SIZE FOR 2017:
40 senior listed players, 4 rookies (don't think Travis Wilson was listed in the end).

And I want to give a personal thanks to don patch sword who provided a stack of info all season on what was going on and proved to be very accurate with his comments and his final rankings. Takes a lot of time and effort to do what he did so well done mate. :thumbsu::beercheers:

And I want to give a personal thanks to don patch sword who provided a stack of info all season on what was going on and proved to be very accurate with his comments and his final rankings. Takes a lot of time and effort to do what he did so well done mate. :thumbsu::beercheers:
Cheers mate its nice to get appreciation from the Essendon Board draft master :thumbsu: Ill be doing even more next year so your all stuck with my constant draft thoughts for another year hahaha

Cheers mate its nice to get appreciation from the Essendon Board draft master :thumbsu: Ill be doing even more next year so your all stuck with my constant draft thoughts for another year hahaha

Well we will have to make sure we catch up at some stage next year around the traps somewhere :thumbsu:

I say it every year, but there is little more cringeworthy on this site than the people who start going about who 'won' the draft at this stage of the year.

At this point, there have all played precisely zero games.

Not as bad as randoms starting a thread comparing the top 20 picks from 2015 to 2016.

I say it every year, but there is little more cringeworthy on this site than the people who start going about who 'won' the draft at this stage of the year.

At this point, there have all played precisely zero games.

It's even funnier when actual news sites do it.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-21/how-your-club-fared

Brisbane Lions

View the Lions' draft haul on the 2013 draft tracker

The winners of the draft. Rob Kerr, Stephen Conole and the Lions' recruiting team had to nail this draft and they couldn't have done much more. They never thought James Aish would be there and they combine him with Lewis Taylor and two key defenders. Filled holes with quality prospects.

hqdefault.jpg

Brisbane Lions

The winners of the draft. Rob Kerr, Stephen Conole and the Lions' recruiting team had to nail this draft and they couldn't have done much more. They never thought James Aish would be there and they combine him with Lewis Taylor and two key defenders. Filled holes with quality prospects.

hqdefault.jpg
Lewis Taylor at pick 28 still isn't that bad, he is no star but still a handy player

Brisbane Lions

hqdefault.jpg
Lions were ok in the 2013 draft

Such a good draft, pies have been unlucky with Scharenberg but we have outdrafted them with our first two picks.
Zerrett #26 & Raz #55 (thanks gumby) v Scharenberg & Freeman @ 6 and 10.

Brisbane Lions

hqdefault.jpg

I don't see anything wrong with it - its all opinion based on which clubs you think got value drafts at their position and hit needs. No one is taking it as a fact and knows it changes as players get out on the field and actually develop over the next ten years. Wouldn't be much fun if we had to wait until the entire draft crop was retired before we could start talking about who did what well.

And often while it may not be 100% right it's usually an interesting read and good to look back on in a couple years time. I mean did you really need to wait it out to know that Boekhorst and Rainbow weren't great choices in 2014?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see anything wrong with it - its all opinion based on which clubs you think got value drafts at their position and hit needs. No one is taking it as a fact and knows it changes as players get out on the field and actually develop over the next ten years. Wouldn't be much fun if we had to wait until the entire draft crop was retired before we could start talking about who did what well.

And often while it may not be 100% right it's usually an interesting read and good to look back on in a couple years time. I mean did you really need to wait it out to know that Boekhorst and Rainbow weren't great choices in 2014?
DVR was a solid choice at that pick. Him not making the grade is due to the development team for the most part.

Nothing wrong with "who won the draft" opinions.
A lot of people put a lot of time into draft prospects. It is confirmation for their hard work.
Of course it is just an on paper view at the moment, but that is all any of this pre draft board was.

Nothing wrong with "who won the draft" opinions.
A lot of people put a lot of time into draft prospects. It is confirmation for their hard work.
Of course it is just an on paper view at the moment, but that is all any of this pre draft board was.

Spot on. I don't get the dislike for them. Only natural for people to rate the selections / perceived bargains.

Could we be going super hard at 2 metre Peter or Schache next year?

Just the released "we have room for a big fish next year" and then the no Key forwards picked in the draft and no Xavier Richards surprised me.
2 metre Peter possibly, but Schache only seemed to want to play for Brisbane so I'd hold him to that. And given we'd likely have to give up our 1st next year for Wright I'd rather bank the the pick and take it to the draft.

Jonathon patton,even tom Lynch(gc),the following year(2018), he's a RfA,yes please!!!!.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2 metre Peter possibly, but Schache only seemed to want to play for Brisbane so I'd hold him to that. And given we'd likely have to give up our 1st next year for Wright I'd rather bank the the pick and take it to the draft.
If it was a matter of just our first next year for Wright I'd take it in a heartbeat. I'd even drive all the way to the airport and then chauffeur him down the road to the club myself.

He's gonna be a star, and possibly as soon as next season. Even as stacked with KP talent as next year's draft is meant to be, Wright's still more of a guarantee than any of those kids AND he'll already be physically developed and ready to go.

Sadly the problem would be that I'm not sure if he'll be keen to go, and if he is, there's no way GC would be happy with just our first. Plus there'd probably be another half a dozen clubs chasing him.

Id trade 2 firsts for 2 metre peter we have the base of young stars there and a solid mix of player hitting their prime it's time to go out there and fill needs to make our list take the next step

If it was a matter of just our first next year for Wright I'd take it in a heartbeat. I'd even drive all the way to the airport and then chauffeur him down the road to the club myself.

He's gonna be a star, and possibly as soon as next season. Even as stacked with KP talent as next year's draft is meant to be, Wright's still more of a guarantee than any of those kids AND he'll already be physically developed and ready to go.

Sadly the problem would be that I'm not sure if he'll be keen to go, and if he is, there's no way GC would be happy with just our first. Plus there'd probably be another half a dozen clubs chasing him.
Yup we'd get bent over in any trade, I don't want us dealing with GCS in a trading until they stop over-valuing their players. And as you say I'm not sure he'd want to leave anyway, forming a good partnership with Lynch.

Yup we'd get bent over in any trade, I don't want us dealing with GCS in a trading until they stop over-valuing their players. And as you say I'm not sure he'd want to leave anyway, forming a good partnership with Lynch.

800k a year, returning home and playing for a top 4 side opposed to a bottom 4 side would be a good place to start in regards to reasons of departing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back