List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2017/2018 - Refreshed (cont in part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Way over the Murray discussion at this point, it's a pretty minor trade in the scheme of things, even with the downgrading of a 2nd rounder.

Hine's explanation I think makes sense as a contributing factor. Sydney weren't budging on the 2nd rounder and it's a pick we were unlikely to take a player with. Seems we have at least two, possibly more Academy or F/S picks next year which is why Hine is quite confident. Either way, we traded for Murray because we rate him, the possibility that we weren't using the 2nd rounder on a player just contributed to us accepting the deal.

Some potential players for points in 2018:
Quaynor
Will Kelly
Matthew Green (not certain if eligible)
Holt-Fitz

Way over the Murray discussion at this point, it's a pretty minor trade in the scheme of things, even with the downgrading of a 2nd rounder.

Hine's explanation I think makes sense as a contributing factor. Sydney weren't budging on the 2nd rounder and it's a pick we were unlikely to take a player with. Seems we have at least two, possibly more Academy or F/S picks next year which is why Hine is quite confident. Either way, we traded for Murray because we rate him, the possibility that we weren't using the 2nd rounder on a player just contributed to us accepting the deal.

Some potential players for points in 2018:
Quaynor
Will Kelly
Matthew Green (not certain if eligible)
Holt-Fitz

How are these players tracking? Any of them kids that might go top 20 if they weren't F/S or Academy?

History doesn't doesn't show that at all. Up until the last year 2 years, we all viewed his trades as having been top notch. Above the odds for Wellingham and Dawes. A good move to trade 11 up to six a few years ago. Fair value for Beams. Fair value for Shaw. A couple that this board whinged about were: Seedsman and Kennedy effectively for Howe. Harry for Varcoe. Future second for WHE. But those trades are all looking like wins to me. Some think he paid overs for Treloar, but it looks like fair value to me. It definitely looks like he paid overs for Aish - but that appears to have been a talent identification issue rather than a trading issue.

As far as I'm concerned, history will judge the Aish trade poorly and the Witts trade poorly. But that's it. It'll judge most of his other trades as being neutral or gains. I'm not including Marley because that was more of a delisting for being a twat.

I agree with this. From my point of view we have got trading pretty accurate up until probably last year.

Your assessment doesn't factor in some failed Free agency signings such as Quentin Lynch, Clinton Young, Jordan Russell etc. There were a few flops there. But the relative price we paid was low considering they were FA signings and not on top dollar.

The wheels fell off a bit last year, and I ultimately think this year was a bit of a failure as well. I don't mind that we didn't chase any big names, but I was hoping we could be creative with our draft position. Getting that pick 38 into the top 30 was something I was hopeful of. Or alternatively I would've seriously considered trying to downgrade the pick 6 to 2 first rounders as I reckon this first round is pretty even. At a minimum, I was hopeful we wouldn't have to sacrifice any picks in next years strong draft.

So to come out without a 2nd rounder this year or next is disappointing.

But on a positive note, we should now be in a position to really attack next years trade period. All will be forgiven if we could sign a Tom Lynch!

Sier might be a bust, but I think deserves a good full pre season and injury free run at it.
His size is terrific.
I'm just can't be impatient.
Drafting players in is not a McDonald's drive through where you get instant results.

It's a gourmet meal.
Ofcourse some of those meals turn out unbearable.
But that's the game.

For what it's worth, I heard from a recruiter (highly successful club) two or so years ago, that Derek Hine is extremely well regarded in the field he's in, top of the group. That's what I was told. Just an opinion conveyed to me.

But like every person, in this field, fallibility is part of the job.

Even at Macca's drive through you sometimes have to wait out the front for your order.

Anyway how many years did we think we'd nailed the draft/trade period and everyone from Terry to Champion Data gave us a big tick and nothing came of it... maybe it's a good sign we are holding our water for a bigger play

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still mad about us delisting his daughter? Think that's a few times now that he has had a go at us since his daughter getting the chop from our womens team.
You never know, could be?

Lots of opinions floating around

mate, history shows Hine is an amateur negotiator. he even buys his own lube.

What are you implying?

Some would say its a sign of good will. Others would say it's a sign of weakness.

Does he get someone else to buy it for him?
Should he not use lube at all?
Should he steal a tub.

Then you could ask is he getting the lube at a good price?
Should he buy it online and what would the freight cost?
Should he buy in bulk and save for next year?

I know nothing about the answers to these questions but maybe someone on here does.

History doesn't doesn't show that at all. Up until the last year 2 years, we all viewed his trades as having been top notch. Above the odds for Wellingham and Dawes. A good move to trade 11 up to six a few years ago. Fair value for Beams. Fair value for Shaw. A couple that this board whinged about were: Seedsman and Kennedy effectively for Howe. Harry for Varcoe. Future second for WHE. But those trades are all looking like wins to me. Some think he paid overs for Treloar, but it looks like fair value to me. It definitely looks like he paid overs for Aish - but that appears to have been a talent identification issue rather than a trading issue.

As far as I'm concerned, history will judge the Aish trade poorly and the Witts trade poorly. But that's it. It'll judge most of his other trades as being neutral or gains. I'm not including Marley because that was more of a delisting for being a twat.

Fair assessment. I'd even go as far as to say we murdered them with the Howe trade.

Fair assessment. I'd even go as far as to say we murdered them with the Howe trade.
It's the National Draft, the cursed 2013 draft should have been our Pendles/Daisy or Reid/Brown double to set up the window but it's in tatters now thanks to injury. Freeman a total bust and Aish (his replacement from the same top 10) is looking diabolical. Schaz could come good but it's obviously affected his speed and sans De Goey (who isn't there yet) and a FS where is the star power? Sier was supposed to be the Hine special and now he looks like we ordered the bad clams... Hine has to get this draft right and produce something special to get us back on track or the window is lost and we've traded for players like Treloar (to put us over the top) for nothing

I think in the future we will b saying the sae about WHE. That kid is already worth the price and I reckon he has got 3 more gears to hit.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Reality is though, that we paid market price for Howe at the time. At that point in his career he'd been an inconsistent forward, a so-so defender and had a neat party trick that he performed on a weekly basis. GWS and GC were keen on getting him because he was a human highlights package and they desperately wanted a player who could bring interest to the game in their respective wastelands. Interest from Vic clubs was pretty low though. Honestly, we just lucked out that we had an injury crisis in defence forcing his move and subsequently finding his niche as an intercept defender. We could just as easily have persisted with him for 2-3 years as a forward, had no luck and seen him being maligned at Jesse White levels.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Reality is though, that we paid market price for Howe at the time. At that point in his career he'd been an inconsistent forward, a so-so defender and had a neat party trick that he performed on a weekly basis. GWS and GC were keen on getting him because he was a human highlights package and they desperately wanted a player who could bring interest to the game in their respective wastelands. Interest from Vic clubs was pretty low though. Honestly, we just lucked out that we had an injury crisis in defence forcing his move and subsequently finding his niche as an intercept defender. We could just as easily have persisted with him for 2-3 years as a forward, had no luck and seen him being maligned at Jesse White levels.

Yup. Could say the same thing about Freeman/Scharenberg but with the opposite results (still hopeful on Scharenberg). We made a good trade for Howe, and good coaching decisions followed. Gotta give credit where credit is due, even if there are more perceived failures than successes in recent times.

Yup. Could say the same thing about Freeman/Scharenberg but with the opposite results (still hopeful on Scharenberg). We made a good trade for Howe, and good coaching decisions followed. Gotta give credit where credit is due, even if there are more perceived failures than successes in recent times.
I'm still bullish on Sharenberg. Watched a fair bit of him in the VFL, and despite his lack of speed, his evasiveness in traffic is top notch. If he puts on a little size and works on his contested game I think he could be a top notch midfielder in the Pendlebury type mould.

I think in the future we will b saying the sae about WHE. That kid is already worth the price and I reckon he has got 3 more gears to hit.

at the time of the whe trade, on exposed form, we paid overs. now it looks a fair trade.

imo, he is what he is and hasn't got many tricks not already exposed.

at the time of the whe trade, on exposed form, we paid overs. now it looks a fair trade.

imo, he is what he is and hasn't got many tricks not already exposed.

He's already exposed more tricks than 98% of AFL players. To become a star, he doesn't need to expose any more; he's just got to learn to expose them more often.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back