List Mgmt. Trade & F.A. 2017 (if a scenario sounds wrong - read on before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Completely incorrect.

We were always going to select Egan. The trade was inconsequential, the talent identification was the problem

The fact that we downgraded to accomodate for pick 35…to select Chad Morrison was a disaster of a move.

There's no guarantee we would have "always" selected Chris Egan.
There are no guarantees in the draft.

The deal as a whole was a complete mess.

Is Ricky that Believable?
He’s scum, but given he’s a former player manager I’d imagine he has some pretty solid contacts in regards to this stuff

maybe but he is not a free agent, is he? surely we can ask the question. why just leave it to happen quietly?? he strikes me as a player with plenty of upside and could really fill a need either back, forward or mid....
Don’t really see the relevance of whether or not he’s a free agent? He still gets to choose his destination at the end of the day.

As an aside, he’s really not all that good anyway. Port fans can’t wait to see the back of him.

CFC, the footy in the hands comment is an interesting one and not as silly as it may sound.
Sport science has its place in footy however over the whole competition, it has turned training into a very clinical process and has somewhat sucked the 'footy club' soul out of some clubs. Add to that the extra meetings, leadership programs, social issues education programs etc, it's no wonder that the likes of Cloke and Seedsman talk about their new clubs as "feeling like a footy club" in comparison to Collingwood. The Dogs and Adelaide got back their footy soul, we need to find ours.

Back to the footy in the hands thing. The aerobic fitness element has worked its way down to local clubs where the footies are rare during early preseason before Christmas and for a couple weeks or more when training resumes in the new year. I've listened to coaches talk about fitness being the key to getting through the last quarter and then watched the team proceed to chase wayward kicks and handballs from teammmates. This is while the supposedly unfit side has kicked 5 goals purely by being able to hit targets and expend less energy chasing helicopter kicks and errant handballs.

These sports scientists at Collingwood need to be made to earn their money by devising fitness programs etc that involve more ofthe one thing players want when the cross the white line, the f@&ing BALL!.

Perhaps Pendles was referring to just one way for Collingwood to get back its footy club soul.

You have absolutely hit the nail on the head FiloBeddoe.

Pendles had input in this decision. Basically he said the sports science guys are all about running but it means diddly squad when a player is fatigued in the last quarter and sprays the kick at goal because of it.

Train with the ball in hand and incorporate the ball in all your drills. We aren't playing tiggy its called FOOTBALL.

Congrats, you just got sucked in by the same guy that said Freeman would be a good pick up for the Saints and that Freeman was leaving because there was no opportunity which is why we weren’t chasing Aish...

That's why Connor's is the best in the business.......sell ice to Eskimos that bloke.

Hes actually not bad with his info

Although I do remember him bragging about being right about Hinkley going to the GC on the same day Ken re-signed with Port.

You can see it in his Brownlow showings. Lots of three voters, but very few of anything else.

Just like that hack D Martin. Only had 3 games with 1 vote and no 2 vote games at all this year. Who needs a player like that? :wink:

Don’t really see the relevance of whether or not he’s a free agent? He still gets to choose his destination at the end of the day.

As an aside, he’s really not all that good anyway. Port fans can’t wait to see the back of him.

would not be the first player to improve with a change of scenery and Hawthorn have been noted for plucking gems from other clubs. He has some really desirable attributes from our point of view and I distinctly remember him tear us a new one some time last year. He has the ability.

Screen_Shot_2017-10-06_at_11.41.52_AM.png

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-06/sliding-doors-let-the-trades-begin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

would not be the first player to improve with a change of scenery and Hawthorn have been noted for plucking gems from other clubs. He has some really desirable attributes from our point of view and I distinctly remember him tear us a new one some time last year. He has the ability.
Yeah, I don’t see it. He’s just a really ordinary player.

You have absolutely hit the nail on the head FiloBeddoe.

Pendles had input in this decision. Basically he said the sports science guys are all about running but it means diddly squad when a player is fatigued in the last quarter and sprays the kick at goal because of it.

Train with the ball in hand and incorporate the ball in all your drills. We aren't playing tiggy its called FOOTBALL.
The fittest I felt at footy was after a preseason where we had a really good coach who was all about getting fit by doing full field game scenario drills. The old cliche is train the way you play so he implemented that strategy. I can’t remember a session where we would be lining up to sprint for 30 minutes. Sounds like we might be doing something similar.

The fact that we downgraded to accomodate for pick 35…to select Chad Morrison was a disaster of a move.

There's no guarantee we would have "always" selected Chris Egan.
There are no guarantees in the draft.

The deal as a whole was a complete mess.

It’s pretty much acknowledged that Egan was the drafted player that was targeted regardless of whether pick 7 or 10 was used. The whole thing was largely a botch up but trade itself did not hurt. It was the player we drafted. We were never going to draft Lewis and knew Egan would slip to 10.

We got our man, slipped three rungs down the order to get our other man (Morrison)

Debacle yes but at the end of the day not a trading debacle but a drafting one.

Given wells quality when on the park I maintain it was and is worth the risk.

As for hodge, good on him, who cares really. No issues with him playing as long as he can get away with it
I've been a mega advocate for Wells, and the risk he entails (length of contract, soft tissue injury).

Wells, aside from Pendlebury, is the most skilled player we have. A real creator on the field.
Sublime skill.
That's worth all the risk.

Whilst it's not definitive, we won 7 and drew 1 game of the 10 he played.
Certainly he makes our ball movement far far better.

My only regret with Wells is we didn't get him years ago.

As a tidbit, Pendles said that Wells is already in training at the centre 4-5 days a week in preparation for this preseason.
Saintly very very very happy :)

Would pick 6 be needed to get Tomlinson? I'd prefer to not use it to get him. But I don't mind a Watts & Tomlinson trade period with us still having pick 6.

Unless we Trade a Star I say Pick 6 be part of Tomlinson Trade

Ever thought, if footballs Richard Nixon got his manager licence back, he'd be a perfect fit for Jake Stringer?

:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back