Recruiting Trade & Free Agency IV - hypotheticals etc. (Continued in Part V)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some big games from highly rated Inside Midfielders for school footy. Luke Davies-Uniacke with 44 touches and 3 goals, Paddy Dow kicked 7 playing mostly forward.

Some other notable performers

Key Forward - Noah Balta played his best game for the year kicking 2 goals and wining 21 touches. Still in Top 10 mix.
Inside Midfielder - Cassidy Parish had 27 touches, his season average is 29. Draft range could be anywhere
Utility - Hunter Clark had 28 touches and 8 tackles, genuine Top 10 chance
Key Forward - Toby Wooler kicked 3 goals and had 7 tackles to go with it, firming in the 1st Round.
Small Mid, Forward - Jack Higgins kicked 3 goals from 15 touches, 1sr Round prospect
Key Forward - Tom De Koning kicked 4 goals getting back into form, 3rd Round prospect at this stage.
Medium Forward - Jaidyn Stepehnson no goals but laid 13 tackles in the forward half. Top 10 prospect.
Ruckman - Sam Hayes 15 touches, 1 goal and 8 marks. Looking likely Top 5 pick.
Medium Forward - Jack Petruccelle kicked 5 goals and had 17 possessions. Pushing into Top 20 calculations
Key Forward - Hayden McLean kicked 3 goals had 9 marks and 17 touches. Slow start to the year has him in the 3rd Round at this stage
Key Forward - Daniel Johnston Most in form Key Forward in the TAC he played mostly Ruck with 28 hit outs along with 2 goals. 2nd Round prospect.

I think we'd end up going a future 1st plus a second this year
His current output and on field output isn't doing Brisbane any favours.

I imagine we'd drop Stewart for Schache (harsh as it is) or send Hooker back eventually and run Daniher, Schache and Stewart.
He's a potential 6 goal a game forward. Well worth the investment. Hooker is 28. Daniher & Stewart in their low 20's.
The 3 of them would line up together for the next 8 years.
He's a potential 6 goal a game forward?!

Are you high? Quite aside from the fact he got about 6 possessions in total doing the NEAFL last weekend, what in christs name leads you to think he could be the best forward of the past 50 years and capable of kicking 130 a season?

Are you high? Quite aside from the fact he got about 6 possessions in total doing the NEAFL last weekend, what in christs name leads you to think he could be the best forward of the past 50 years and capable of kicking 130 a season?

His nickname is (probably) loveshack. What the hell more needs to be said?

Obviously not every week, but his TAC form had him dominating his class.
At full flight he has the tools to dominate and kick bags.
Like a stay at home version of Daniher
Would love both in the same side.

Obviously not every week, but his TAC form had him dominating his class.
At full flight he has the tools to dominate and kick bags.
Like a stay at home version of Daniher
Would love both in the same side.
Haha ok well just do we're on the same page, a bloke who can occasionally kick a bag of 6 is a very different thing to a 6 goal a game forward...

James Sicily in exchange for Joshua Begley and Essendon 2017 Second Round Selection.

Thoughts?
No thanks. Why would we trade Begley first year into his career? Sicily is decent and could still end up a very good medium forward but it's a nothing trade for us.

I think we should look at James Tsitas in the VFL. Bloke is dominating the middle for Geelong. Biggest worry is that he only has middling pace and his kicking isn't great. Good shot for goal too so can rotate forward. I'd also like to see Tom Goodwin and James Ferry in the possible 3 rookie list spots (only one I see staying on there is Draper)

James Sicily in exchange for Joshua Begley and Essendon 2017 Second Round Selection.

Thoughts?
The difference from begley's potential to Sicily is totally unknown at this point as begley is still at this Point a fairly unknown commodity. To attribute a second round pick is a huge risk for us, and one we don't need to take with Langford, redman and Francis on the list that play a similar role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough then, however Sicily is better than all of the above mentioned and would be easily in your best 22 ;)

If you're going into rebuilding mode why are you trading the one bloke that's actually shown a bit of promise? Don't try and fob off your blokes with shitty attitudes on us.

Like, I'll probably take him, but only if it's a St. Kilda style situation where we completely fleece you.

Have read a few comments about Hooker back or Stewart out if we were to sign Schache.

I doubt that Schache is a starting 22 player early next year it's not what I would recruit him for in any event. The required work rate of the forwards is huge and will stay that way. That's even before we discuss his current form and that of Hooker and to a less extent Stewart.

I'm not necessarily against recruiting him, even for our first pick, but that assumes that he can be signed on Laverde/Francis/Langford money (being what I assume is normal overs for encouraging youth) or even slightly more, and more importantly assuming that by the end of the year Laverde and Langford are starting 22 players with hopefully Begley and Mutch having shown signs at AFL level.

The midfield is currently a bigger concern particularly when we are still reliant on Watson and Goddard. We've got age and contract length on our side when it comes to recruiting the next key forward. It would be strange to tie up the use of our first pick this year on a key forward who we don't really need and might not even use regularly before 2019.

The appeal of Schache is that he'll enter his prime with the 2014-2016 players (whereas the next guy isan extra 2-3 years away) and he's potentially an elite key forward. He should not be dismissed because he is struggling this year. He had a good year last year given the quality of the support and supply.

Last edited:
There are four mature age prospects in the VFL I'd like us to consider:

1. James Ferry (Essendon VFL): Fez is a key defender who has good intercept skills and a good kick. Should be right on our radar as he turns 23 in November and could be a 7-8 year player.

2. James Tsitas (Geelong VFL): Bloke is probably leading the Cats BnF right now. Inside midfielder who has good kicking skill and can go forward and kick goals too.

3. Tom Goodwin (Coburg): Best ruckman in the VFL as far I'm concerned, rarely gets beaten and if he isn't on a list at the end of the season I'd be shocked and pissed off.

4. Hisham Kerbatieh (Coburg): As a Category B rookie if possible. Doubt it happens though.

There are four mature age prospects in the VFL I'd like us to consider:

1. James Ferry (Essendon VFL): Fez is a key defender who has good intercept skills and a good kick. Should be right on our radar as he turns 23 in November and could be a 7-8 year player.

2. James Tsitas (Geelong VFL): Bloke is probably leading the Cats BnF right now. Inside midfielder who has good kicking skill and can go forward and kick goals too.

3. Tom Goodwin (Coburg): Best ruckman in the VFL as far I'm concerned, rarely gets beaten and if he isn't on a list at the end of the season I'd be shocked and pissed off.

4. Hisham Kerbatieh (Coburg): As a Category B rookie if possible. Doubt it happens though.
coming around to tsitas but I don't know too much about his game.

However I REALLY want ferry, would compliment Hurley and ambrose beautifully.
However that means the end to Brown or Dea. There is no way we take all of Brown, Hartley, ferry, Dea and ambrose into the season as they are all similar players (ambrose is safe though obviously)

coming around to tsitas but I don't know too much about his game.

However I REALLY want ferry, would compliment Hurley and ambrose beautifully.
However that means the end to Brown or Dea. There is no way we take all of Brown, Hartley, ferry, Dea and ambrose into the season as they are all similar players (ambrose is safe though obviously)
It really wouldn't. Dea is a medium defender playing tall out of necessity. Going into a season with 5 key defenders (as well as Hooker) would actually be really smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back