Recruiting Trade & Free Agency V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obviously we haven’t proved a thing, but can anyone think of a more successful trade period than the one we just had? Geelong a few years back getting Dangerfield, Smith, Henderson and Selwood, but they also lost an ageing Stevie J and 2 first rounders.

Curious to hear others thoughts.

Obviously we haven’t proved a thing, but can anyone think of a more successful trade period than the one we just had? Geelong a few years back getting Dangerfield, Smith, Henderson and Selwood, but they also lost an ageing Stevie J and 2 first rounders.

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating, I guess.

Prestia & Caddy to the Tigers the year before reaped good benefit for the Tigers. Added two critical components to their list balance i felt.

Number of obvious de - listings come post 2018 imho. A group of key 19 - 23 year olds are at make or break time but a brief look at who is out of contract at the end of 2018.

Mark Baguley
Josh Begley
Tom Bellchambers
Mitch Brown
Dylan Clarke
Matt Dea
Martin Gleeson
Brendon Goddard
Josh Green
Michael Hartley
Kyle Kangford
Jayden Laverde
Matt Lleunberger
Jake Long
Jackson Merrett
Kobe Mutch
Jordan Ridley
James Stewart

Sam Draper
Luke Lavender
Shaun McKernan
Ben McNeice
Trent Mynot

Number of obvious de - listings come post 2018 imho. A group of key 19 - 23 year olds are at make or break time but a brief look at who is out of contract at the end of 2018.

Mark Baguley
Josh Begley
Tom Bellchambers
Mitch Brown
Dylan Clarke
Matt Dea
Martin Gleeson
Brendon Goddard
Josh Green
Michael Hartley
Kyle Kangford
Jayden Laverde
Matt Lleunberger
Jake Long
Jackson Merrett
Kobe Mutch
Jordan Ridley
James Stewart

Sam Draper
Luke Lavender
Shaun McKernan
Ben McNeice
Trent Mynot
Draper is contracted.

Mark Baguley
Josh Begley
Tom Bellchambers
Mitch Brown
Dylan Clarke
Matt Dea
Martin Gleeson
Brendon Goddard
Josh Green
Michael Hartley
Kyle Kangford
Jayden Laverde
Matt Lleunberger
Jake Long
Jackson Merrett
Kobe Mutch
Jordan Ridley
James Stewart

Sam Draper
Luke Lavender
Shaun McKernan
Ben McNeice
Trent Mynot
RE-SIGN: Begley (2+ years), Bellchambers (2 years), Clarke (2 years), Gleeson (2 years), Hartley (2 years), Langford (2 years), Leuenberger (1 year), Laverde (2 years), Mutch (2+ years), Ridley (2+ years), Stewart (2+ years), Lavender (1 year), McNiece (1 year) & Mynott (1 year).
RETIRE: Baguley & Goddard.
DELIST/TRADE: Brown, Dea, Green, Long, J.Merrett, McKernan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at Yoda's list see 4 certain delistings and 4 possible's - My guess is there will be around 7 changes.

Will certainly be interesting to see how the next generation guys come on in 2018. Could argue Clarke, Mutch, Long are behind more fancied guys for a senior berth. It is up to them now to respond and be a better play and push for senior selection.

Feel Clarke may surprise a few, maybe not as an attacking inside midfielder but moreso a negating one that will collect his 15 - 20 touches a game.
Reckon that Brown is very much an outside chance of being de-listed.

Edit: as long as he stays fit.

I wouldn't object to keeping Brown, quality KPP depth for minimal cost. For me McNiece may be make or break.

Brown isn't being delisted. No way. With zero (AFL quality) depth at either end, we'd need his mature body in 2019 and beyond. He could even be another pushing for senior selection in 2018.

RE-SIGN: Begley (2+ years), Bellchambers (2 years), Clarke (2 years), Gleeson (2 years), Hartley (2 years), Langford (2 years), Leuenberger (1 year), Laverde (2 years), Mutch (2+ years), Ridley (2+ years), Stewart (2+ years), Lavender (1 year), McNiece (1 year) & Mynott (1 year).

Couldn't argue with too much of that. Although the ones in bold you would have to hold off till later in the year to re - sign and see if they are worth the contract.

Will certainly be interesting to see how the next generation guys come on in 2018. Could argue Clarke, Mutch, Long are behind more fancied guys for a senior berth. It is up to them now to respond and be a better play and push for senior selection.

Feel Clarke may surprise a few, maybe not as an attacking inside midfielder but moreso a negating one that will collect his 15 - 20 touches a game.

Brown isn't being delisted. No way. With zero (AFL quality) depth at either end, we'd need his mature body in 2019 and beyond. He could even be another pushing for senior selection in 2018.

If he can't get on the park he is in trouble (particularly if Lavender and Zerk Thatcher show something and 22 and 20 year olds). There is no reason to assume that he wont make it through the season but we won't know that it happens until after the fact. That's why I said he was an 'outside chance'. If the same problems that plagued him this year caused his 2018 to be a write off, why would we persist? Might as well sign a free agent as a stop gap.

I pretty much agree besides I'm not sure this will be Goddard's last season and at this stage both Green and Dea are worth keeping even if only for depth.

I pretty much agree besides I'm not sure this will be Goddard's last season and at this stage both Green and Dea are worth keeping even if only for depth.
With Goddard I guess it'd depend on form, etc. If he plays as well as he did last year then I'd say he'd be more likely than not to get an extension, but given he'd be turning 34 in 2019 it'd more likely depend on how his body feels, etc. Like a few others he may choose to bow out while he's still got something left in the tank and take up a coaching role with us like Pops.

As for Dea I'm not sure we can justify the list spot, I'll admit he's useful depth given he can play tall and small but I personally I'd rather pump games into the likes of Ridley.

And Green you're probably right, I just don't want him anywhere near the best 22.

Fremantle has already extended Brayshaw til 2021 before he even plays a game.

4 year contracts for 1st rounders should be standard

Always thought that contracts should be whatever is offered in front of them.

Imagine a top 3 pick only signing a one year deal, rival clubs would be circling something shocking. Makes clubs do due dilligence on the players they select.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back