Recruiting Trade & Free Agency V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with all of this with the exception of Ambrose in the middle. He hasn't shown any aptitude as a midfielder (e.g. quick hands, vision, bursting from a pack, getting a lot of possessions). He is ideally suited to be a close checking run with defender and has excelled too many times in the last 20 to 30 games to mess with this role.

A few mates who went to Xavier with him said that he played a few games in the middle to smashing effect... but I agree he is a long shot. With his running ability and size though I think he could do a run with role and learn the craft.

Point is we have a few options that's for sure.

Futures looking bright.

I'd like to think that this time next year there won't really be that much room for any big fish.

I'd prefer that we are re-negotiating deals with kids.

Its all gonna come down to how our mifdield goes. If Langford, Parish, Mutch, Smith, Laverde, Begley even can step in a make a significant improvement then we should be pretty set. Otherwise a back ended deal for Wines would not go astray/

Let them BUILD and play them.
Today's result allows this.
The young blokes are due.
If they step up then LOOK OUT!
Well Done EFC!!!
Same. I'd like to see them play and the coaches have some patience with them. If Colyer can receive so many free hits, there's no reason why Langford, Laverde, Francis, Begley, Mutch shouldn't.

A few mates who went to Xavier with him said that he played a few games in the middle to smashing effect... but I agree he is a long shot. With his running ability and size though I think he could do a run with role and learn the craft.

Point is we have a few options that's for sure.

Futures looking bright.
I agree about the bright future. I am finding it hard to keep a lid on it and that's before we see any of those silly pre-season training reports.

Meanwhile, the latest recruits at Norf are elated:
empty_old_room_by_ladee_stock.jpg

Looks like something Fritzle cooked up with Alf Stewart...

Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but now we've got Smith and Stringer, surely Hooker can go down back again and help the defence. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say our defence looked pretty lackluster last season, especially late. Hooker back down there just feels right now after the trade period.

Stewart more then capable imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So at the moment Essendon has 1 free senior list spot, 1 free category A rookie list spot and 1 free category B rookie list spot.
Can only see Essendon taking the minimum of 3 players in the draft with 1 possibly being a rookie upgrade which would be Draper.

So at the very least 2 senior listed players need to be delisted and extra ones for any delisted free agents signed.
Morgan and Jackson Merrett would be the easiest from the senior list followed by Bird and Howlett depending on any delisted free agency signings. Long and McKernan on the Cat A rookie list also the easy decisions. Green given a 1 year deal.

I prefer to see Bird, Howlett, Morgan and Jackson Merrett delisted. Sign 2 delisted free agents such as Miles (if available as upgrade on Bird). Draft 2 players via 3rd and 4th round picks. Upgrade Draper to senior list. Delist Long and McKernan so then recruit 4 cat A rookies and 1 cat B rookie.
We had 39 seniors this year, so taking four off the list (Watson, Stanton, Kelly, Hocking) and putting three back on it (SSS) makes 38. Given the list size is from 38-40, we'd have a theoretical minimum of one delisting (which would take us to the maximum 40 senior players). If we demote someone to the rookie list and upgrade a rookie in the draft, you're basically back to square.

The number of Category A rookies depends on how many are on the senior list. Altogether the Cat A rookies and the senior list together add up to a maximum of 44 players. (so 38+6, 39+5, 40+4).

I think Morgan is probably the most likely to be delisted and then rookied. J.Merrett and Bird are probably the next cabs off the rank, although if any of our uncontracted seniors are offered opportunities as DFAs at other clubs then that might influence the decision a bit.

I hope stringer has started getting miles into his legs. Big preseason coming up
He'd be getting miles into something.

Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but now we've got Smith and Stringer, surely Hooker can go down back again and help the defence. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say our defence looked pretty lackluster last season, especially late. Hooker back down there just feels right now after the trade period.
The ultimate swingman!

The thing I love most about this pic, besides the multiple jackets obviously, is the way there's the hand at the right of screen which looks like it's pleading a case and he's staring off into the distance contemplating what's being said in true Godfather fashion.

When in reality he's probably just letting one go.

bitches

He'd be getting miles into something.

The ultimate swingman!

The thing I love most about this pic, besides the multiple jackets obviously, is the way there's the hand at the right of screen which looks like it's pleading a case and he's staring off into the distance contemplating what's being said in true Godfather fashion.

When in reality he's probably just letting one go.

bitches
What a legend old jackets is

The thing I love most about this pic, besides the multiple jackets obviously, is the way there's the hand at the right of screen which looks like it's pleading a case and he's staring off into the distance contemplating what's being said in true Godfather fashion

When the inevitable statue is cast and lowered into place out at Tullamarine it should be in this pose, looking out towards the ground.

It'll give the average fan a feeling what it would be like sitting next to and talking recruitment with the great man.

Congratulations on landing Stringer all. Hopefully a fresh start will be fantastic for Jake and will see you get the same sort of excitement from his immense talent that we did, especially in 2015. At the very least he will give you some really memorable highlights. Of course it saddens me and most Bulldogs supporters that we will no longer have Jake in the tricolours - God he is breathtaking when he is on song. But this move will hopefully be good for both the Western Bulldogs and Essendon.

And thanks for the "discussion" on the Stringer Megathread. A few barbs never hurt anyone and I enjoyed the good natured banter with many of you. Good fortune for 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back