Recruiting Trade & Free Agency V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many likely academy picks before our first pick? Suns will get an extra pick for Lynch so that knocks us back to pick #9 based on current ladder position. Surely Swans will get their annual top 10 gift.

How many likely academy picks before our first pick? Suns will get an extra pick for Lynch so that knocks us back to pick #9 based on current ladder position. Surely Swans will get their annual top 10 gift.
Yeah the Swans' annual gifts* how annoying!

* they have had two in 10 years and none since 2015 but hey, they are only facts - amirite?

Yeah the Swans' annual gifts* how annoying!

* they have had two in 10 years and none since 2015 but hey, they are only facts - amirite?

Sorry must have got confused with COLA gifts. Or maybe still laughing at Mills #3 pick was worth pick 33,36,37&. 40+ something under ridiculous formula. Who would do that trade in real life? Plus they have same access to father son as Melb clubs. The gift that keeps giving

Sorry must have got confused with COLA gifts. Or maybe still laughing at Mills #3 pick was worth pick 33,36,37&. 40+ something under ridiculous formula. Who would do that trade in real life? Plus they have same access to father son as Melb clubs. The gift that keeps giving

We're lucky Joe nominated us and not them or it'd have really been taking the piss! They would have only needed to use the solitary pick that yielded Dean Towers to do it too!

3 top 10 picks since 2014 for a perennial finalist isn't anything to sneeze at
Heeney and Mills were academy yes but i dont believe there is a third.
Lol when supporter of melbourne based clubs mention COLA or the academies, its alwags convenient how they never mention
- the fact the AFL suspended Sydney (but not GWS) from trading for using it
- how often northern clubs ar pillaged of players due to go home factors or wanting to play for victorian or bigger clubs
- the fact like heeney and ,mills only converted from rugby because of the academy, and therefore they would never had been available to us evem if they werent in the academy bidding system because they would be playing rugby.....

But like i said, facts eh? How annoying.
It would just be better if we could all rage against the north like Eddie Maguire without everlifting a finger to help non traditional states like NSW and QLD. Sydney and GWS, Brisbane and to some extent GCS have done the work attracting these kids, let them reap the rewards. The riverina zone was ludicrous but other than that i have no problem with academies.

Never mind also we have our own zones now. Ours is in the NT football heartland as opposed to fighting off rugby and union. Dont see you screaming about that injustice do we?

As an aside, i didnt hear anyone whining about the GWS academy when we picked up Mutch and GWS had put 4+ years of development into him for us...

Lol when supporter of melbourne based clubs mention COLA or the academies, its alwags convenient how they never mention
- how often northern clubs ar pillaged of players due to go home factors or wanting to play for victorian or bigger clubs
- the fact like heeney and ,mills only converted from rugby because of the academy, and therefore they would never had been available to us evem if they werent in the academy bidding system because they would be playing rugby.....

It would just be better if we could all rage against the north like Eddie Maguire without everlifting a finger to help non traditional states like NSW and QLD. Sydney and GWS, Brisbane and to some extent GCS have done the work attracting these kids, let them reap the rewards. The riverina zone was ludicrous but other than that i have no problem with academies.

Never mind also we have our own zones now. Ours is in the NT football heartland as opposed to fighting off rugby and union. Dont see you screaming about that injustice do we?

As an aside, i didnt hear anyone whining about the GWS academy when we picked up Mutch and GWS had put 4+ years of development into him for us...

Nick Blakey, son of John Blakey will/should be a top 10 pick this year.

I've got no problems with the Academies, they are needed to make the AFL a better competition; the issue I have with it is the generous discount they get on bids, which means they never have to pay proper value for them.

I, like you and most, had issues with the Giants having access to players in traditional AFL heartland, especially when most of their development was being conducted by Victorian-based Schools and/or TAC cup teams.

As for the comparison to Indigenous Academies, there is none. Sydney has a potential talent pool of 100,000's of kids with full access to all the benefits of living in the suburbs and cities. Tiwi Islands has a total population of 2500, and have to deal with all the health, economic, social, geographic and historical disadvantages that the kids in northeastern NSW couldn't imagine.

Mills’ grandfather played in WAFL, and Mills grew up a Swans fan.

As for trade ban...boohoo... after making a GF and trading in Franklin. No more cap space anyway.

Even understand for GWS as no access to F/s.

Nick Blakey, son of John Blakey will/should be a top 10 pick this year.

I've got no problems with the Academies, they are needed to make the AFL a better competition; the issue I have with it is the generous discount they get on bids, which means they never have to pay proper value for them.

I, like you and most, had issues with the Giants having access to players in traditional AFL heartland, especially when most of their development was being conducted by Victorian-based Schools and/or TAC cup teams.

As for the comparison to Indigenous Academies, there is none. Sydney has a potential talent pool of 100,000's of kids with full access to all the benefits of living in the suburbs and cities. Tiwi Islands has a total population of 2500, and have to deal with all the health, economic, social, geographic and historical disadvantages that the kids in northeastern NSW couldn't imagine.
We get father sons as well. Blakely is a wash in this argument in that regard.

And yeah 100,000 kids but they have to compete with soccer, rugby, rugby league, surf life saving etc and a tonne more sports that are more popular in NSW and QLD.

How many sports are more popular than footy in the tiwi and NT? And how many great players have come from the NT as opposed to sydney and newcastle? Way more
Mills’ grandfather played in WAFL, and Mills grew up a Swans fan.

As for trade ban...boohoo... after making a GF and trading in Franklin. No more cap space anyway.

Even understand for GWS as no access to F/s.
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...t/news-story/110dc6c50fa68e7daf45dd6a60e292a7
I dont care his family lineage. He played rugby till 14 and wanted to be a wallaby.

The afl gave swans cola to use, then punished them for using it. Like giving a kid a toy then punishing them for playing woth it. Dodgy from the AFL regardless of the success of the club. Classic victorian bias by those that think that is ok cause its the swans.

Last edited:
Bont had 50 disposals and kicked 10 in a school game about 6 months before he got drafted.

No more risky than any other rangy kid that's talented but built like a stick insect

As a teacher at the school that he was playing against that day... These are normal stats for the opposition full back... most teams have a field day against us.

The afl gave swans cola to use, then punished them for using it. Like giving a kid a toy then punishing them for playing woth it.

They gave them COLA for higher living expenses in sydney, not to sign Franklin. Can you imaging American sports paying COLA for those that live in NY? Just a joke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Move on, i don't care what Sydney get or got. I only care what we are going to get to take us to the promise land again.

That Cola was removed was a joke. I've heard from footballers themselves the kind of "jobs" they get in football states, and how much they get paid. I've no doubt whatsoever the "real" wages of players in southern states is a lot higher than in the northern states. Cola tried to fix that in a hap-hazard way, the method was rubbish but the underlying goal was eminently sensible. If unacknowledged, as acknowledging it would be conceding the salary cap has limitations....

Of course, then the AFL had a hissyfit and threw the baby out with the bathwater. As they usually do.

When was the last time Sydney lost a player to the go-home factor? Or GWS for that matter. Cam McCarthy?

Queensland is totally different to Sydney. COLA should be increased and reinstated in SEQ only as PUTS - PAY US TO STAY

Tldr: * the swans is actually the correct answer
;)

Why am I reading the defense of Sydney's COLA/academy on the EFC trading thread. They rorted the system for about a decade and made all their success off trading players in, finally culminating with getting Tippett and Franklin just after their premiership and then finally the AFL said enough is enough. They never should have had it to begin with. Nor should GWS but as a start-up I'm more sympathetic and it made sense to give them some increased ability to retain players for a number of years.

The academy is a joke, every team would run their own academy under the conditions that Sydney have right now. They aren't doing some sort of service for the AFL, they are feeding their draft pool. I don't get why people argue that Heeney and Mills wouldn't have joined the AFL and it would have been some great loss to the game. Can guarantee none of us would have given a crap if they chose another code and we don't even know for sure if that's true. The discount they get on first rounders is a joke.

End rant.

Why am I reading the defense of Sydney's COLA/academy on the EFC trading thread. They rorted the system for about a decade and made all their success off trading players in, finally culminating with getting Tippett and Franklin just after their premiership and then finally the AFL said enough is enough. They never should have had it to begin with. Nor should GWS but as a start-up I'm more sympathetic and it made sense to give them some increased ability to retain players for a number of years.

The academy is a joke, every team would run their own academy under the conditions that Sydney have right now. They aren't doing some sort of service for the AFL, they are feeding their draft pool. I don't get why people argue that Heeney and Mills wouldn't have joined the AFL and it would have been some great loss to the game. Can guarantee none of us would have given a crap if they chose another code and we don't even know for sure if that's true. The discount they get on first rounders is a joke.

End rant.

The Swans gain access to the kids in their own academy as reward for the advertisement and publicity they give the code in non footballing heartlands.

The joke was the Riverina kids who grew up playing AFL being hand picked to join the academy.

End rant.
The Sydney swans have 600 kids in their academy across all their age levels in any given year. They have gotten on average 1 maybe 2 per year good enough on average to be drafted.

How does that not show a growth and advertisement of the code?
Pretty expensive and inefficient way to improve their draft pool.....

Oh and rort the system? No. They used a mechanism that the AFL gave them specifically to use. They didnt break any rules and rorted nothing, pick a fight with the AFL for goving it, not the swans for using it.
The Swans gain access to the kids in their own academy as reward for the advertisement and publicity they give the code in non footballing heartlands.

The joke was the Riverina kids who grew up playing AFL being hand picked to join the academy.
Careful, swans and academy sympathising is unacceptable on this thread apparently

The Sydney swans have 600 kids in their academy across all their age levels in any given year. They have gotten on average 1 maybe 2 per year good enough on average to be drafted.

How does that not show a growth and advertisement of the code?
Pretty expensive and inefficient way to improve their draft pool.....

Oh and rort the system? No. They used a mechanism that the AFL gave them specifically to use. They didnt break any rules and rorted nothing, pick a fight with the AFL for goving it, not the swans for using it.

Careful, swans and academy sympathising is unacceptable on this thread apparently

I wasn't trying to imply that Sydney did anything wrong or that they cheated. They just took advantage of the advantages that the AFL gave them. But make no mistake they are bloody significant advantages and were motivated purely by the AFL seeing dollar signs. Its interesting how Brisbane won 3 flags when they had an increased salary cap and look at them since its been removed. In a league with a salary cap giving a team a leg up is simply a massive inequity. Its the reason why we have a salary cap to begin with or else the big clubs would have all the best players.

The academy stuff well yeah the AFL likes it because it gives them exposure without costing them money but its unfair on the other clubs and is yet another thing compromising the integrity of the draft. The AFL could easily fix this by removing the discount on first rounders, then nobody would have a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back