Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

My predictions for top 5 in this year's draft would be
1. Finn O'Sullivan
2. Josh Smilie
3. Levi Ashcroft
4. Sid Draper
5. Jagga Smith

Would be happy with another of those, excluding Ashcroft of course. I reckon we'd be a chance for Draper or Smith. You never know who'd bob up in their draft year to rocket up into the top 5.

We cant rely on picks alone and he is an upgrade on most of our forwards IMO, maybe I rate him higher than most. He could also play for 5-6 years more and I dont know about you, but if we are still s**t in 3 years, I will be spewing.

if 23 years old is too old for you and youre right, then the club is ****ed IMO
Sometimes you got to throw a few darts .... maybe we can steal a doozy off the Magpies to add to our forward options.

Jack Hutchinson got every teams recruiters watching him for the MSD at the moment

Sometimes you got to throw a few darts .... maybe we can steal a doozy off the Magpies to add to our forward options.

Jack Hutchinson got every teams recruiters watching him for the MSD at the moment

never heard of him? Gotta any info mate?

Look he is right. We are a long way off being a top finals side crap we are still in downfall.No point in targeting anyone of interest even at 23. It took ages to assemble our team and were rock bottom even though quality was there in 16. In come some mature age players and bang. This Taranto Hooper deal is going to haunt us and we get no value whatsoever. We are in big strife and unless we start nailing draft picks we will be F ---d as you say.
We Are Doomed Reaction GIF

We just beat the hottest team in the competition missing Grimes, Dusty, Prestia and Hopper with 10 players that have played 35 games or less and you think we are ****ed??

Looks more like the future is bright for me ... a new strength and conditioning team at the end of this season and we will play finals next year ... the foot skills on our draftees for the last 3 years are sublime and Taranto and Hopper with the grunt in the middle are the perfect complement to the skilled players we have drafted.

Not sure what the quality of the draft is like this year but I think the club needs to load up.

Was a great game Saturday and a break out game for a few players inc MRJ, Dow - also liked the look of sonsie & brown - great games by Vlas and Rioli - BUT given our current situation 1-3 and with long term injuries to key players I think its time to bite the bullet and start to think about the 24/25 drafts and look to 2026+ ie play the kids.

Goes without saying we need to phase out some of the older guys - Grimes, prestia, kmac and picket while keeping some leadership - vlas and nank and martin just for the aura.

I feel baker is a good chance to go and if he does go I think we double down by shopping around Short and - I hate to say it - Bolton and/or Taranto - who both have massive trade value. If we trade out 3 of these and with our current 2024/25 picks - along with our current group of solid youngsters - this could set us up for good success from 2026+. If we dont I feel we will middle out - or worse, become the next West Coast.

We need some real quality in the 18-22 bracket to go with our current solid young crop in this bracket to succeed. We need generational players (like Martin) along with top draft picks to get players like Cotch, Prestia, Lynch, JHF, Harley Reid, Sheezel, Bont, Rowell, King to build the next premiership side.

Not sure what the quality of the draft is like this year but I think the club needs to load up.

Was a great game Saturday and a break out game for a few players inc MRJ, Dow - also liked the look of sonsie & brown - great games by Vlas and Rioli - BUT given our current situation 1-3 and with long term injuries to key players I think its time to bite the bullet and start to think about the 24/25 drafts and look to 2026+ ie play the kids.

Goes without saying we need to phase out some of the older guys - Grimes, prestia, kmac and picket while keeping some leadership - vlas and nank and martin just for the aura.

I feel baker is a good chance to go and if he does go I think we double down by shopping around Short and - I hate to say it - Bolton and/or Taranto - who both have massive trade value. If we trade out 3 of these and with our current 2024/25 picks - along with our current group of solid youngsters - this could set us up for good success from 2026+. If we dont I feel we will middle out - or worse, become the next West Coast.

We need some real quality in the 18-22 bracket to go with our current solid young crop in this bracket to succeed. We need generational players (like Martin) along with top draft picks to get players like Cotch, Prestia, Lynch, JHF, Harley Reid, Sheezel, Bont, Rowell, King to build the next premiership side.
Trade out all those guys & we'll be the next WCE. That's going "full norf" by definition. We can't trade those guys out until someone is ready to take their spot & even then u need depth. A few of those stay on with the understanding they aren't guaranteed games but that needs someone to be ready to take over, otherwise we bottom out for the next few yrs & have to do it all with Tassie taking all the top draft picks.

We just beat the hottest team in the competition missing Grimes, Dusty, Prestia and Hopper with 10 players that have played 35 games or less and you think we are ****ed??

Looks more like the future is bright for me ... a new strength and conditioning team at the end of this season and we will play finals next year ... the foot skills on our draftees for the last 3 years are sublime and Taranto and Hopper with the grunt in the middle are the perfect complement to the skilled players we have drafted.
Humm just made my point with those 4! Took you a while to reply after one win you're on fire. Let's see how we go now. Point stands.

Humm just made my point with those 4! Took you a while to reply after one win you're on fire. Let's see how we go now. Point stands.
Awkward Season 1 GIF by Nanalan'

Oh we are having a debate, okay.

Mr speaker, I will concede that if we had taken Oscar Allen instead of that pest Jack Higgins in 2017 we would be so sweet now ...

And if we hadn't been so determined to get Edwards and Cotch to 300 games and give every other premiership player a send off season we would have close to 50 games into our next generation

So piss of Grimes and Prestia now and let's get on with it

Last edited:
Awkward Season 1 GIF by Nanalan''

Oh we are having a debate, okay.

Mr speaker, I will concede that if we had taken Oscar Allen instead of that pest Jack Higgins in 2017 we would be so sweet now ...

And if we hadn't been so determined to get Edwards and Cotch to 300 games and give every other premiership player a send off season we would have close to 50 games into our next generation

So piss of Grimes and Prestia now and let's get on with it
LMHO voice of reason I can't compete anymore in this debate you win hands down.

The traditional rivalry between the Dragons and Chargers resulted in a big win for Sandy, and Taj Hotton was instrumental in the victory with a BOG performance. He didn't stop working all game, was clean with the ball, strong overhead and topped it off by hitting the scoreboard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another solid performance from Smillie in a contest that his Eastern team dominated from start to finish. His normally accurate kicking was a little off, but he beasted the stoppages for the first three quarters. His stats dont look outstanding, but he ended up sitting out the 4th quarter for reasons unknown. Fingers crossed he wasnt injured.

Yep let’s trade every good player on our list to get a draft pick to select a kid who may or may not be a bust. If baker wants to leave sure you try and get maximum value however to contemplate also trading Bolton and short will set us back years.

Yep let’s trade every good player on our list to get a draft pick to select a kid who may or may not be a bust. If baker wants to leave sure you try and get maximum value however to contemplate also trading Bolton and short will set us back years.
Not really loving Short's season so far. Don't think he's as big a loss as you think. Nice long kick, but hardly anything else he has is irreplacable.

Bolton is interesting, he has the talent to be top 10 in the game, but he's miles off that because he's never at his best consistently. Yet he is the guy that a contender or up and coming team would pay big money and trade value for.

Everything I'm hearing/reading is that Baker is going back to WA.

I think we keep Bolton and hope if we can get him to play near his best >80% of the time we have an elite match winner on our hands, but he could also remain a brilliant but at times frustrating player.

Baker I'm assuming is gone, so I'd be chasing maybe Freo's first rounder for him, and Short is easily replaceable, there's nothing I'd lose sleep over if he left in terms of on field, and he could probably get us a reasonable 2nd rounder.

The traditional rivalry between the Dragons and Chargers resulted in a big win for Sandy, and Taj Hotton was instrumental in the victory with a BOG performance. He didn't stop working all game, was clean with the ball, strong overhead and topped it off by hitting the scoreboard.

Kid can play

Too bad he has Blues/Pies bloodlines

Another solid performance from Smillie in a contest that his Eastern team dominated from start to finish. His normally accurate kicking was a little off, but he beasted the stoppages for the first three quarters. His stats dont look outstanding, but he ended up sitting out the 4th quarter for reasons unknown. Fingers crossed he wasnt injured.

This may come across the wrong way, but:

Is Smillie able to dominate more because of his size, or is it more because of skill?

In the video it's like watching a man, playing against boys as he stands head and shoulders above the others and his body just seems so much more mature.

Is Smillie able to dominate more because of his size, or is it more because of skill?

In the video it's like watching a man, playing against boys as he stands head and shoulders above the others and his body just seems so much more mature.
That's always the query on drafting the dominant bigger guys and seeing if it translates into AFL.

Apparantly this kid is good though.

#11 Lucas McInerney
Wing | 180cm | 28/02/2006

Stats:
22 disposals, 7 marks, 6 rebound 50s

One of the most talented natural wingers in this year’s draft, McInerney showcased his outside ability on plenty of occasions throughout the game. He is hard for the ball and runs with great width to counter attack forward. Again, in a tough game he played well above most on the ground and has a great connection with Johnson. Very vocal around the ground and helps the defence set up transitional play. There were a few kicks that hampered his efficiency, but it wasn’t an issue when he accumulates the ball like he does. Elite running, tough, fast by hand out of a stoppage and has the ability to create space wide to get the team forward.

given our lack of wingmen could be a handy selection, from https://central.rookieme.com/afl/2024/04/03/scouting-notes-2024-coates-talent-league-round-2/

Last edited:
#3 Tobie Travaglia
Defender/Midfielder | 187cm | 26/10/2006

Stats:
23 disposals, 8 marks, 9 tackles

Travaglia has arguably been Bendigo’s best player across the first fortnight and continued to show his range in a rotation between defence and midfield. He opened up with a crunching tackle on Friday which set the tone for further putting his body on the line both at the contest and aerially. Travaglia’s overhead marking has become a handy point of difference, and he popped up with crucial consecutive points to give Bendigo the lead in term four.

reads a bit like Vlastuin, he could be a handy successor

There’s no way they’ll consider trading away Bolton or TT … both have anywhere from 6-9 years left in their careers … do you think the club isn’t planning on contending again before 2030? If that was the case they may as well shut the joint down.

The only players I’d consider proactively trying to trade who have some currency are Jack Graham (a late second) and Nathan Broad (3rd rounder). Graham is vanilla and we have loads of Broad types (Tresize, Bauer, Brown) needing game time in 2025.

There’s nobody else I’d look to trade unless they wanted out.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yeah we don’t need Taranto and Hopper to be so super skilled when we have so many high drafts plus the 5 inside top 30 from a couple years maturing nicely

We in a great spot imo

He's very skillful for a big mid, I'm not worried about that side of things. If you watch closely you'll see moments where he gets the footy in tight situations and get rid of it with accurate hands super quickly and cleanly, which is one of the most important traits in a mid. He's also clean as a whistle with the footy, no double grabbing or fumbling (very little anyway). Also his foot skills are typically very good, he missed a couple of targets in the game above which is not normal for him.

In terms of weaknesses, I often feel like I'm searching for things to criticise with these elite talents but I'll note two things:

Smillie isnt express pace to my eye. I havent seen his pre-season testing numbers but I would expect that he's just average in the 20m sprint.

He's a Bont type with his size. Wins it on the inside, then presents as a marking target post stoppage with his size. In spite of that, he's not amazing over head. He's fine when matched up on smaller mids as he just towers over them, but at the moment he's no threat to become a key position type contested or pack marker. If he's matched up on a defender with size and strength he's often out pointed in marking contests.

He's very skillful for a big mid, I'm not worried about that side of things. If you watch closely you'll see moments where he gets the footy in tight situations and get rid of it with accurate hands super quickly and cleanly, which is one of the most important traits in a mid. He's also clean as a whistle with the footy, no double grabbing or fumbling (very little anyway). Also his foot skills are typically very good, he missed a couple of targets in the game above which is not normal for him.

In terms of weaknesses, I often feel like I'm searching for things to criticise with these elite talents but I'll note two things:

Smillie isnt express pace to my eye. I havent seen his pre-season testing numbers but I would expect that he's just average in the 20m sprint.

He's a Bont type with his size. Wins it on the inside, then presents as a marking target post stoppage with his size. In spite of that, he's not amazing over head. He's fine when matched up on smaller mids as he just towers over them, but at the moment he's no threat to become a key position type contested or pack marker. If he's matched up on a defender with size and strength he's often out pointed in marking contests.
Thanks for the reply. Gives a good insight into the kid. Easy to get carried away watching highlights without knowing some finer details

Back