Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Debuting for the season in round 2 of the Talent League, Lindsay turned in a complete midfield performance to help his team to victory on the day. Winning the ball inside and outside the contest, spreading with hard running, driving the ball forward and hitting the scoreboard.

Playing predominantly as a key defender with some stints in the ruck, Mraz had a solid game in round 2 of the talent league showcasing his exciting combination of size and athleticism.

3 Noah's in the one team
Could we??

Not sure what the quality of the draft is like this year but I think the club needs to load up.

Was a great game Saturday and a break out game for a few players inc MRJ, Dow - also liked the look of sonsie & brown - great games by Vlas and Rioli - BUT given our current situation 1-3 and with long term injuries to key players I think its time to bite the bullet and start to think about the 24/25 drafts and look to 2026+ ie play the kids.

Goes without saying we need to phase out some of the older guys - Grimes, prestia, kmac and picket while keeping some leadership - vlas and nank and martin just for the aura.

I feel baker is a good chance to go and if he does go I think we double down by shopping around Short and - I hate to say it - Bolton and/or Taranto - who both have massive trade value. If we trade out 3 of these and with our current 2024/25 picks - along with our current group of solid youngsters - this could set us up for good success from 2026+. If we dont I feel we will middle out - or worse, become the next West Coast.

We need some real quality in the 18-22 bracket to go with our current solid young crop in this bracket to succeed. We need generational players (like Martin) along with top draft picks to get players like Cotch, Prestia, Lynch, JHF, Harley Reid, Sheezel, Bont, Rowell, King to build the next premiership side.
Stick your silly ideas , young players need qty around them or go NOWHERE
That’s a reason cats and swans have remained in perpetual contention , they maintain qty while replenishing the side
List below teams that have successfully applied a scorched earth policy and thrived
It’s a boneheaded plan that it completely irrational,

What will we do at the MSD?

Lachlan Hosie is the best forward not in the AFL ... big game player ... kicked four snags in the state game on the weekend ... 6 last year for Glenelg in the SANFL grand final ... and multiple SANFL goal kicking winner.

Just having turned 27 he is the same age as Marlion was when we took him ... and was taken by North in the same MSD draft in 2019 ... kicked 20 in ten games in VFL and 2 on debut as a 22 year old but delisted after the first year of COVID.

A medium forward at 6FT 2 (190cm) and at the height of his powers he is capable of playing immediately ... at worst he takes us to a VFL premiership this year ... at best he could kick 30 a season in the AFL for a couple of years.

Bauer is a backman ... Kosi is a backman ... Miller is a backman ... Balta is a backman and Fawcett has faarked his back and Lefau is a rugby player ... I am just going out on a limb and suggesting that maybe we should consider drafting a Forward to play forward!

You are not going to find a gun KPF in the MSD but we could add an actual natural forward (61 goals last year at 70% efficiency) who is ready to play now when the only true marking forward on our list is again out for the season

Last edited:

Lachlan Hosie is the best forward not in the AFL ... big game player ... kicked four snags in the state game on the weekend ... 6 last year for Glenelg in the SANFL grand final ... and multiple SANFL goal kicking winner.

Just having turned 27 he is the same age as Marlion was when we took him ... and was taken by North in the same MSD draft in 2019 ... kicked 20 in ten games in VFL and 2 on debut as a 22 year old but delisted after the first year of COVID.

A medium forward at 6FT 2 (190cm) and at the height of his powers he is capable of playing immediately ... at worst he takes us to a VFL premiership this year ... at best he could kick 30 a season in the AFL for a couple of years.

Bauer is a backman ... Kosi is a backman ... Miller is a backman ... Balta is a backman and Fawcett has faarked his back

You are not going to find a gun KPF in the MSD but we could add an actual natural forward who is ready to play now when the only true marking forward on our list is again out for the season
Was an abrupt decision by norf to cull him , not really big enough to be big cohuna ,,,tbo I’d love to think there’s better options

Moraes continued his hot streak in front of goal, adding three more to his seasons tally. Overall though, he had a quieter game this week as his Eastern team struggled to move the ball against a strong Dragons outfit.

Was an abrupt decision by norf to cull him , not really big enough to be big cohuna ,,,tbo I’d love to think there’s better options
You ain't finding a Big Cheese in the MSD, that talent gets swallowed up in the National Draft.

Hosie is a medium forward that knows how to find and lead into space and puts it through the big sticks especially in big games. We need forwards that are ready to play now not in 5 years.

Medium forwards can be weapons ... he ain't Nathan Brown

but the ability to put it between the big sticks is what is all about and Hosie does that in spades - more than any other State League footballer

Like I see the potential with Lefau but how long is going to take him to learn where to be and run.

Really think Gibcus has the level of talent to be an elite KPF

The exciting thing I see as possible from our youngsters is that Miller, Brown,Tresize, Young, Smith and Banks is a backline group that have the right mix of weapons to enable both Gibcus and Balta to play elsewhere

Last edited:

Bauer is a backman ... Kosi is a backman ... Miller is a backman ... Balta is a backman and Fawcett has faarked his back

You are not going to find a gun KPF in the MSD but we could add an actual natural forward who is ready to play now when the only true marking forward on our list is again out for the season

From what I’ve seen over the years, we usually go best available . I won’t be surprised if we don’t go needs in this year’s MSD ie KPF, if there isn’t one we rate.
New head recruiter calling the shots, so maybe he will have a rabbit up his sleeve.

From what I’ve seen over the years, we usually go best available . I won’t be surprised if we don’t go needs in this year’s MSD ie KPF, if there isn’t one we rate.
New head recruiter calling the shots, so maybe he will have a rabbit up his sleeve.
Sure ... but let's not go a country footballer like Bradtke again ... It ain't the 1960s ... Hosie has the runs on the board ... the most prolific goal scorer in elite level football outside the AFL in his absolute prime in ripping condition and with red hot form (leading goal scorer and the difference maker with 4 goals in the VFL SANFL State match)

114 goals over the last 2 years (and started this season with 5 and 4 - absolutely flying atm ...

watch his highlights ... on the lead ... hangars ... pack marks ... and crumbing

Last edited:
Sure ... but let's not go a country footballer like Bradtke again ... It ain't the 1960s ... Hosie has the runs on the board ... the most prolific goal scorer in elite level football outside the VFL in his absolute prime in ripping condition and with red hot form (leading goal scorer with 4 goals in the VFL SANFL State match) over the last 2 years ... watch his highlights ... on the lead ... hangars ... pack marks ... and crumbing

Look’s good.
As you mentioned, can hit the scoreboard a number of ways.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After spending last season playing forward flank and wing for the Knights, this year Zak Johnson is Northern's prime mover in the midfield. A silky smooth operator with plenty of class with ball in hand, it wouldnt be surprising to see Johnson pushing into top 10 calculations as the season progresses.

#11 Lucas McInerney
Wing | 180cm | 28/02/2006

Stats:
22 disposals, 7 marks, 6 rebound 50s

One of the most talented natural wingers in this year’s draft, McInerney showcased his outside ability on plenty of occasions throughout the game. He is hard for the ball and runs with great width to counter attack forward. Again, in a tough game he played well above most on the ground and has a great connection with Johnson. Very vocal around the ground and helps the defence set up transitional play. There were a few kicks that hampered his efficiency, but it wasn’t an issue when he accumulates the ball like he does. Elite running, tough, fast by hand out of a stoppage and has the ability to create space wide to get the team forward.

given our lack of wingmen could be a handy selection, from https://central.rookieme.com/afl/2024/04/03/scouting-notes-2024-coates-talent-league-round-2/

Don't think you start a rebuild with wingman though. Gun all round mids and talls surely.

"In the same game, recent AFL Academy inclusion Jack Whitlock snared three majors and clunked eight marks to be among Murray’s best as a ruck-forward."
His brother was named at CHB. Get ourselves a couple of bookends

Jagga may only be small, but he's prolific when it comes to winning contested footy. His 10 clearances in this game were instrumental in helping Oakleigh secure a close win against Tasmania.

Love this one,,have you or can you do one on tom gross
His oakliegh team mate ?? Thanks 😊

Back