Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You missed the part about salary cap implications if we trade off all our players. We then need to pay huge sums to average players to make the cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If people are pissed we're paying Hopper $750k now they'd lose their minds when they found out someone like Dow is on $600k just to get to the minimum required

Hoping the talls, such as Whitlock/s blitz in the 2nd half of the season including the National Championships and then the draft combine.
That’d open the draft right up, and create some tough decisions for Norf.

I’d love an A grade kpf in the draft, but definitely not worth reaching with our first pick. Best available as always .
If we get multiple 1st Round picks as planned nabbing a couple of quality KPPs shouldn't be an issue

Hopefully we can get three picks in the top 15.

Finn O'Sullivan, Taj Hotton and then the best available KPP in one of the Whitlock twins, Shanahan, Faull, O'farrell.

Then we also have an NGA KPD in Zaydyn Lockwood if he makes it past pick 40

Jagga "The Lone Ranger" Smith continues to play exceptional football in a team that routinely coughs up big losses. His defensive efforts were an improvement on last week, and his stoppage craft was as elite as always as he sliced through congestion with decisive and attacking intent. His kicking was his typical mixed bag, starting off with some nice spot up targets hit and then seeming to degenerate at the game went on.

Stringbean playa...another like our Dow!
Can run...can lay a tackle...but a real sheet kick of the footy...any good work he does is damaged by his ugly kicking...
He's a whippet of a playa and fast...couple of hard physical tackles laid on him and he'll be in hospital!
Has to be better playas for a first rounder...

Last edited:
Another game another 4 goals for Joe Berry who's become the most consistent forward in the Talent League. His disposal and set shot kicking wasn't quite as sharp this week, but he showcased some excellent 1v1 contested marking.

Clever playa...opportunistic...good mark of the footy...can lay a tackle...ok kick...plays well within himself...
A little like our Sonzie...not sure how JB would go against tougher oppo...has he got another level?!?

Some stats from the weekend

Josh Smillie 33 disposals (22 kicks 11 handballs) 4 marks 1 tackle 13 I50s 1 R50 2 goals
Christian Moraes 33 disposals (18 kicks 15 handballs) 5 marks 3 tackles 3 I50s 1 R50
Jagga Smith 33 disposals (23 kicks 10 handballs) 2 marks 4 tackles 5 I50s 5 R50s
Joe Berry 13 disposals (9 kicks 4 handballs) 6 marks 4 tackles 2 I50s 4 goals (kicked 16 goals in 5 games this year)
Easy choice .... Just Go with the bloke who got 33 disposals

Is a playa! One to pick!
Has pace...vg kick of the footy...can take a grab...smart footy brain and brings others into the game...can tackle...
Gets totally involved with the play...has endurance...with more polish would be exceptional outside mid...confident playa...
Gets a bit yippy on kicking for goal...is slight...needs to build up some protective muscle and size...
Reminds me of that Saints playa Lappin?!? And our overlooked carlton playa retired with hip injuries...
You always loved short asses

Zaydyn Lockwood in the bests again for the Pioneers on the weekend. That's 4 times in 5 games. Hopefully because he's so scrawny he doesn't get attention before pick 40.
5 games played and he averages
9.6 disposals
2 marks
1 tackle
3.4 hitouts
2 R50s
0.4 I50s

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5 games played and he averages
9.6 disposals
2 marks
1 tackle
3.4 hitouts
2 R50s
0.4 I50s
Not great. Makes you wonder how he can get in the bests most weeks? I know he did a job on one of those tall twins a few weeks back. Maybe he's been locking down key forwards?

Sounds like we'll get.him if we want him. If no one bids I believe we can jist add him to the rookie list.

Hopefully we can get three picks in the top 15.

Finn O'Sullivan, Taj Hotton and then the best available KPP in one of the Whitlock twins, Shanahan, Faull, O'farrell.

Then we also have an NGA KPD in Zaydyn Lockwood if he makes it past pick 40
I like the midfielders with size , Smylie is obviously the player everyone is talking about, but from what I’ve seen and read I really like the sound of Lalor and Bo Allan
Re KPPs , throw another name in there- Thomas Sims
R6 Coates Talent League Player of the Week
“Northern Knights ruck-forward Thomas Sims tore Oakleigh to shreds in a 98-point victory on the same day, booting seven second-half goals from 15 kicks and 10 marks at Preston City Oval.“

Last edited:
I like the midfielders with size , Smylie is obviously the player everyone is talking about, but from what I’ve seen and read I really like the sound of Lalor and Bo Allan
Re KPPs , throw another name in there- Thomas Sims
R6 Coates Talent League Player of the Week
“Northern Knights ruck-forward Thomas Sims tore Oakleigh to shreds in a 98-point victory on the same day, booting seven second-half goals from 15 kicks and 10 marks at Preston City Oval.“
Sounds like Oakleigh is pretty crap and Groupie would have kicked 8 against them and RJK would have cleaned up his mess

Hoping the talls, such as Whitlock/s blitz in the 2nd half of the season including the National Championships and then the draft combine.
That’d open the draft right up, and create some tough decisions for Norf.

I’d love an A grade kpf in the draft, but definitely not worth reaching with our first pick. Best available as always .
Agree with best available, we just need the stars to align to make the big KPF's the best available pick!

Smilie looks the goods, 194cm will get anyone excited, but early knock on him is potentially his kicking.

Excited to see O’Sullivan get a consistent run at it now. Been out injured, and started a little slow when he’s been back but we could really benefit from this tiny slide if the Smilie hype continues. O’Sullivan is a second-cousin of Sam Walsh, country boy boarding at Xavier. been the #1 of the class for the past couple years. U16s player of the championships, AA last year as a bottom aged. No real weaknesses besides being 182cm. Tough as nails, great mark above his head. Can play both inside and outside. Got a booming right peg. Has a step, and is explosive, a real Rolls Royce mid. Hate comparisons but maybe a little bit of Cotch about him. Hope he tears the championships up, but only so much he’s still there if we’re pick 2-3

Smilie looks the goods, 194cm will get anyone excited, but early knock on him is potentially his kicking.

Excited to see O’Sullivan get a consistent run at it now. Been out injured, and started a little slow when he’s been back but we could really benefit from this tiny slide if the Smilie hype continues. O’Sullivan is a second-cousin of Sam Walsh, country boy boarding at Xavier. been the #1 of the class for the past couple years. U16s player of the championships, AA last year as a bottom aged. No real weaknesses besides being 182cm. Tough as nails, great mark above his head. Can play both inside and outside. Got a booming right peg. Has a step, and is explosive, a real Rolls Royce mid. Hate comparisons but maybe a little bit of Cotch about him. Hope he tears the championships up, but only so much he’s still there if we’re pick 2-3
I reckon you have a lot of potential Finn.

Interesting to hear Twomey say we'd be the best fit for Smilie. I'm not sure I agree. We already have Taranto to be that big bodied bash and crash mid.

Imo what we probably need more is:
1. a high endurance transition mid (think Prestia); and
2. a speedy clearance winning mid with quick hands through traffic (think Shedda)

Ideally both need to be really good users of the footy because Taranto and Hopper aren't, and they need to run hard both ways.

Back