Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure, but there's huge variance from one game to another based on form or fitness, conditions on the day etc. There's a reason why we talk about "small sample size bias".

For instance, I posted a video earlier for Sid Draper. It was his first game back after missing all pre-season and the first two months with a stress fracture of his shin. He hasnt played a game of footy or even trained a high intensity since the end of last season. He played small bits of two quarters. And your comment was "vanilla, nothing spesh".

Context is important. If you genuinely still think Sid Draper is nothing special after watching a few of his games in the coming months then that's completely fine. But to make that kind of judgement off one heavily compromised game is off base I think, and not the way I would be going about it.
Mate do not bag me out for giving my honest opinion and appraisal of the vids your presenting!
You can't have it both ways...
One Video of SD playing...one appraisal from me...simples!
And on the viewing of that SD sole video...I stand/sit/jump/lay by my comment..."vanilla, nothing spesh"...
I hope the RFC do not pick him with a first rounder...give us another Video of SD...to change my appraisal!

Dan Rioli is the guy that's going to get us the most currency given he has a contract on him, Dimma loves him, he's still a reasonable age to target for another club too.

Yes I'd hate to lose him, but a lot of the other guys we can't ask for a premium whereas Dan Rioli we can. I'd certainly entertain it, Gold Coast are very likely to overpay here.

They currently have picks 8, 11, 20, 27, 31.

If we traded them Rioli plus some of our other picks for points in a package, we could potentially get back 8, 11 and 20 as part of the wider deal.

That'd be a 2, 8, 11, 20, 22 draft hand as our first 5 picks and that's before any potential deals with Brisbane or Adelaide for their first rounder.

It'd be an amazing draft hand and go a massive way to accelerating our rebuild before Tassie come in.
One in the hand is better than five in the bush.

We had five draft picks within the top30 in 21 and not one of them has played 20 AFL games yet with only Gibcus playing more than 10.

We had five draft picks in the Top20 in 2004 ... but we still didn't play finals for another 9 years and didn't win a final with any of these players on the list.

Most draft picks don't turn out to be as good as Rioli and Baker ... nearly half of Top10 picks won't have the careers they do.

Rioli and Baker are playing good football ... you don't let them go ... but we have got all we are going to get out of Graham and Short ... give Toce the draft picks that come back there to play with.

Mate do not bag me out for giving my honest opinion and appraisal of the vids your presenting!
And on the viewing of that SD sole video...I stand/sit/jump/lay by my comment..."vanilla, nothing spesh"...
I hope the RFC do not pick him with a first rounder...give us another Video of SD...to change my appraisal!
I'm not having it both ways. Everyone can have an opinion, and everyone's opinion can be challenged.

I'm also grumpier than usual while fighting a losing battle with the man flu so apologies if I'm being too argumentative. I appreciate your thought on the videos and your willingness to express them. The main reason I do this is to have conversations about it.

We had five draft picks within the top30 in 21 and not one of them has played 20 AFL games yet with only Gibcus playing more than 10.

We had five draft picks in the Top20 in 2004 ... but we still didn't play finals for another 9 years and didn't win a final with any of these players on the list.

Most draft picks don't turn out to be as good as Rioli and Baker ... nearly half of Top10 picks won't have the careers they do.

Rioli and Baker are playing good football ... you don't let them go ... but we have got all we are going to get out of Graham and Short ... give Toce the draft picks that come back there to play with.
I agree with your assessment regarding D Rioli and Baker, however, we may have zero options re Baker. Rioli is a different story. Contracted and only an absolute Godfather offer should see him leave. Everyone on our list is tradesble at the right price. No fire sales to accommodate players leaving. We must maintain enough senior players to stay relevant. North will most likely have picks 1 and 2 unless we win the spoon and I’m not sure if the top end of the draft really goes to more than about 6 to 7 picks. A bit of a raffle after that, therefore, silly to be trading proven players for picks beyond the top echelon.

I'm also grumpier than usual while fighting a losing battle with the man flu so apologies if I'm being too argumentative. I appreciate your thought on the videos and your willingness to express them. The main reason I do this is to have conversations about it.
All the best mate! Cheers! And good jobby with your Vids!...they are priceless here on RFC!

Dan Rioli is the guy that's going to get us the most currency given he has a contract on him, Dimma loves him, he's still a reasonable age to target for another club too.

Yes I'd hate to lose him, but a lot of the other guys we can't ask for a premium whereas Dan Rioli we can. I'd certainly entertain it, Gold Coast are very likely to overpay here.

If we traded them Rioli plus some of our other picks for points in a package, we could potentially get back 8, 11 and 20 as part of the wider deal.

That'd be a 2, 8, 11, 20, 22 draft hand as our first 5 picks and that's before any potential deals with Brisbane or Adelaide for their first rounder.

It'd be an amazing draft hand and go a massive way to accelerating our rebuild before Tassie come in.
Mate if we could get that we should roll out the red carpet.

Bullshit. Look at the last 5-7 years top 30 draft picks and I like my odds.

Langford's consistent production at this level can't be denied, but this game from him was a little scrappier than usual. His normally strong kicking was off, and he seemed to struggle at times with the lack of space and time afforded to him due to the excellent pressure applied by the Lions players.

I couldn't disagree more.

If we sit around and just keep all of our senior players while we middle/bottom 4 the next few years we will go nowhere.

I'm not saying dump the whole list of anyone over 26, but we will need to lose 1-2 that have actual currency in order to get the elite picks needed to rebuild.

We aren't Geelong. We don't have academy benefits, we don't have priority picks. If we want to get into the pointy end which is where a lot of our critical players and elite talent came from in the dynasty era, we're going to need to say goodbye to a favourite or two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would they give us 8/11

Langford's consistent production at this level can't be denied, but this game from him was a little scrappier than usual. His normally strong kicking was off, and he seemed to struggle at times with the lack of space and time afforded to him due to the excellent pressure applied by the Lions players.

I like him...can definitely roost a footy and is involved in contests for the footy! I agree with the bolded part of your post!
Would like to see if Langford could be able to develop some 'explosiveness' from a standing start...seems one paced to me!

I like him...can definitely roost a footy and is involved in contests for the footy! I agree with the bolded part of your post!
Would like to see if Langford could be able to develop some 'explosiveness' from a standing start...seems one paced to me!
Yeah I agree. I think he has nice pace when he gets the ball in space and can hit top speed without harassment, but when he's inside the contest he can be flat footed at times and a bit too easy to catch in a tackle.

I don't think in a straight swap, but this is where we leverage some of our later points picks that we may not use. Points are probably enticing to them in addition to getting Rioli.
I would want a young gun from them and a pick. **** em.

Give us one of your KPF's or mids.

Last edited:
Smillie struggled to get anything going in this game, one in which his Eastern team was comprehensively beaten by the Devils. He appeared to work from contest to contest as hard as usual, and perhaps applied even more defensive pressure, but he struggled mightily to get first hands on the ball at stoppage registering just one clearance for the game, and wasn't able to find much of it on the spread either.

Smillie struggled to get anything going in this game, one in which his Eastern team was comprehensively beaten by the Devils. He appeared to work from contest to contest as hard as usual, and perhaps applied even more defensive pressure, but he struggled mightily to get first hands on the ball at stoppage registering just one clearance for the game, and wasn't able to find much of it on the spread either.

Should be able to get him as a rookie now 😁

I would want a young gun from them and a pick. heck em.

Give us one of your KPF's or mids.
I think we could target a player from them absolutely, they have a heap of young talent and are one of the clubs where there's only so much opportunity given their abundance of academy picks etc. They can't all play and be given good contracts, we could target someone with a bit of development already in them that is young and still has upside, someone 22, 23 is an AFL ready player but would still have 10 years left so suits our profile.

They’ve all played more than 10 except Brown who has played 9.

No way.

Back