Remove this Banner Ad

ljamest36

Debutant
Apr 16, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
I know the trade periods literally just finished-but Deledio's move to GWS has left me with a disgusting taste in my mouth...and I'm not even a tigers fan and its made me pretty curious. I'd like to see what other people on this forum think is the most shocking trade in VFL/AFL history or one that almost made you vomit with pure disgust.

Although I'm finally starting to let go of it as he wasn't as vital to our team as we maybe thought he was (that's not to say his not a handy player), but I'll never forget how upset I was when Tom Scully moved to GWS. My young mind just didn't understand it, why would he stab us in the back like that? Now that I look back at it, it is pretty hard to turn down an offer that would just about set you up for the rest of you life, but because I was 11, I didn't understand that AFL players were actually people too.

that weird one at the end with carlton giving up a future second for 3 random hawthorn picks that they probably won't even use. Something fishy went on there.. bolts doing his old team a favor
Yeah, that rightly pissed me off too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton's pick swap with Hawthorn to get the JOM deal over the line still has me wondering a bit.
Won't be surprised if Hawthorn traded their 2018 2nd rounder next year for a bunch of a bunch of picks in the 50s and 60s from Carlton. That trade seemed more like an I.O.U deal than anything.

that weird one at the end with carlton giving up a future second for 3 random hawthorn picks that they probably won't even use. Something fishy went on there.. bolts doing his old team a favor

A future father-son non bid guarantee.

IMO any trade of a player for a 70+ draft pick in this trade period is effectively a salary dump for the original club, and a round-about way to get the player to another club, and free up salary without having to buy out their contract or for them to be a free agent. If the player really wants a change of scenery, or the club wants the list spot and cap space (to be able to sign free agents or use live draft picks), and great offers aren't really forthcoming, then sometimes it's just a "take what you can get" to get the deal done (eg. Marley Williams).

Are Carlton after father/son prospects?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back