Trading Guns - Who will it be?

Remove this Banner Ad

That was said before the game. Comment was in line with general media sentiment. And Scott further fueled it with his “rebuild with nothing” quote. But it last night was any indication, Scott will soon be made to look silly, and any attempt by some at the club (including Shaw himself through sheer humility) to say that Brad started the form last week, isn’t going to fly. List is fine. Coach’s message wasn’t getting through.

Still have Garner, Hall and few others to come in.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

That was said before the game. Comment was in line with general media sentiment. And Scott further fueled it with his “rebuild with nothing” quote. But it last night was any indication, Scott will soon be made to look silly, and any attempt by some at the club (including Shaw himself through sheer humility) to say that Brad started the form last week, isn’t going to fly. List is fine. Coach’s message wasn’t getting through.

Still have Garner, Hall and few others to come in.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I suppose we need to wait to Scotts appears with Mike Sheahan to explain what the Plan was that was presented

My opinion all season is the Greg Chappell line; I am not playing bad I just keep getting out....our list isn’t bad, we just keep losing

Oh boy, this thread.

Never go too early. FWIW - I think if we have a decent last half some of the whipping boys (ie. Joyce) might need a more careful look. If the team performs under a different coach it's pretty tough to neck the guy whose job it was to build it.

I think as a club we are gun shy to this approach. I can't remember the last time we let someone go of note. Hale, Gibson of course. Carey. Motlop. They're either not top tier or our hand was forced. Hawthorn are pretty ruthless - letting go Hay and Thompson. It's something to think about.

Byron Pickett
Greenwood

Mods, I figure a few people would be quietly grateful if you could just delete this thread.

Yeah because we should be so impressed with a win over a depleted Richmond, 14th on the ladder, 9th place last year and one win off the spoon the year before.

We haven’t won a final since 2015.

Rely on Higgins, Tarrant, Thompson, Goldy who are all 30 plus, and a midfield of Cunnington and ziebell who are approaching 30.

We also got 29k to a Friday night game against the tigers.

We are the verge of flag clearly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounding kinda desperate to salvage a kneejerk thread...

Lol more desperate for my club to not wallow in mediocrity for another 20 years. Some of you live in denial. Which is fine if that makes you happy, but I’d prefer a strategy of winning our 5th flag that has eluded us for the past 20 years as we have struggled to maintain relevancy.

Also hate to be the bearer of bad news for those denialists out there that think because Scott is gone we are now flag favourites, but the lack of multiple first round draft picks was discussed as a priority by the club over the last week, Wayne Carey our greatest player ever stated we should be bold at the trade table, as have many other respected media people.

But no, a win against our historical bitches, with a relatively ageing list means we are about to explode.

Nek minit.......... 9th. Then say good bye to Higgins, Thompson, Tazz and Goldy over the next 2 years. And Cunners and ziebell soon after that.

Yeah because we should be so impressed with a win over a depleted Richmond, 14th on the ladder, 9th place last year and one win off the spoon the year before.

We haven’t won a final since 2015.

Rely on Higgins, Tarrant, Thompson, Goldy who are all 30 plus, and a midfield of Cunnington and ziebell who are approaching 30.

We also got 29k to a Friday night game against the tigers.

We are the verge of flag clearly.

Well that's a bit unnecessary depressing.

Personally i loved how we cracked in, and borderline humiliated a flag challenger.

We didn't rely on them at all, especially Goldstein.

Zurhaar smashed it, Thomas very solid, Simpkin very important, Wood starred again, LDU showed class etc....

Had a great win. Enjoy it!

Last edited:
Well that's a bit unnecessary depressing

Personally i loved how we cracked in, and borderline humiliated a flag challenger.

We didn't rely on them at all, especially Goldstein.

Zurhaar smashed it, Thomas solid, Wood again etc....

But ok.

I'm just being real. Sure the list has under performed this year. This list should be competing for a top 4 position right now. But we are 14th. We should have made finals last year, but we didn't. We shouldn't have been bottom 4 in 2017, but we were.

I enjoyed winning last night, and its not totally unexpected given we should have beat Geelong a few weeks before at Marvel, who are playing much better than the Tigers. We can beat anyone at that ground. Unfortunately we can also lose to just about anyone, which has been a constant with this team.

Remember the team talking up last year about how they knew they needed to be on point against the Dogs part 2 after that win over Brisbane. Stayed up in Qld longer, made a focus of backing up against the Dogs. 4 goals up at halftime and then went to water and didn't make finals. Or the Sydney game, 7 points up with the ball and 3 mins to go. Lose and miss finals.

If you think that's all Scotts fault you are dreaming.

At the very least the last 2 weeks we've shown we have the talent and when on can at least take it up to the best. That means the path we've been on is working, as ive said earlier i like hunting a big fish if not go to the draft and hunt FAs. Blood 3-5 younger guys while we're striving to become contenders, rotate them around until they can hold their own and more. Exactly what we have been doing.

We play like last night i want to back this group in. I struggle to find what we need from a big fish or FA tbh. Obviously you never say no to a gun midfielder, possibly a key back.

At the very least the last 2 weeks we've shown we have the talent and when on can at least take it up to the best. That means the path we've been on is working, as ive said earlier i like hunting a big fish if not go to the draft and hunt FAs. Blood 3-5 younger guys while we're striving to become contenders, rotate them around until they can hold their own and more. Exactly what we have been doing.

We play like last night i want to back this group in. I struggle to find what we need from a big fish or FA tbh. Obviously you never say no to a gun midfielder, possibly a key back.
Simple mantra, if you hurt them, they will come.

Last edited:
North Melbourne could trade Shaun Higgins to secure another prized top draft pick this year
JAY CLARK, Herald Sun
15 minutes ago
Subscriber only
It’s a reflection on how much things have suddenly changed at North Melbourne.
Imagine saying to Shaun Higgins at the start of the season there was a chance he could be considering moving to a third club in October.

Huh? Back-to-back best and fairests, an All-Australian last year, the Kangaroos’ best ball-user, and vice-captain, Higgins was close to the club’s most important cog.
Arden St would have felt as homely as his grandmother’s house these past few years since leaving the Bulldogs as a free agent.

similars

But right now he is in the dark about his future, as the Roos wait to consult their next coach before the club decides how to best reposition its list.
The Kangas are undertaking “a strategic shift,” as former coach Brad Scott put it.
What that means specifically we won’t know until the new boss has his say.
331f262ca7711068a58446218320efd8
Would the Kangaroos look to trade Shaun Higgins? Picture: Michael Klein
But of all the list conundrums facing North Melbourne, Higgins’ situation is one of the most fascinating over the back half of the season.
He’s a gun, Higgins. A midfield jet who still cops the weekly tag.
The Geelong Falcons product has averaged 31 disposals and 10 contested possessions a game this season.
But what if Geelong or Hawthorn, or any other club in premiership contention, was willing to part with a second-round selection (like the Cats gave up for Gary Ablett at the same age) for the classy ball-user?
Or even the means to upgrade the Roos’ first pick (currently No. 5) into the top-two to land one of the outstanding midfield talents Matthew Rowell or Noah Anderson?
Geelong will likely need a midfield replacement for Tim Kelly and have been linked to Saint Jack Steven. The Hawks are also masters at this stuff.

And the Giants are confident Stephen Coniglio will stay.
For North Melbourne, it feels like all things will be considered by a club which has had only five top-10 picks in the last 12 national drafts.
They need more Sam Walsh types, some young stars who will mature into 200-game pillars.
Higgins turns 32 in March, and has showed no signs of slowing down so far this season.
He’s surely got three more good years left in him, and could capitalise like Ablett in the front half if he moves into more of a forward role.
Facing a similar situation last year, former Carlton captain Marc Murphy made the loyal call to stay at Ikon Park this season, and you admire him for it.
755317086cdd83785cd2bebb6a9545c0
North players celebrate with Rhyce Shaw after their win against Richmond. Picture: Getty Images

But the Blues are in a big pickle, now.
Carlton say they needed Murphy to stay for leadership and culture and to teach the youngsters and you would understand if the Roos wanted to keep Higgins for the same reasons.
But the Roos don’t have all the top-end talent that Carlton does.
If North’s new coach said the club would release Higgins for the right price, the midfielder could chase a premiership elsewhere.
A flag is probably out of the Kangas’ clutches over the next few years, as they look to net more elite young talent as part of the next phase of the rebuild.
It could be a mutually-beneficial parting. An unexpected one.
But possibly the right one.

908690c7e61d150452af2ca8a899ae97

WHO COULD NORTH MELBOURNE TRADE?

SHAUN HIGGINS, 31
Geelong would be a snug fit, while Hawthorn wants to bolster its midfield. North’s best player would surely attract a top-25 pick on the trade table.

BEN BROWN, 26
Something has been missing in Melbourne’s forward half this season. Tom McDonald could do with another marking partner, and Brown is one of the league’s best. But would the Demons give up their first-round pick?

BEN CUNNINGTON, 27
Fifth in the AFLCA awards, Cunnington is finally getting the recognition he deserves. Probably has the most currency but would be the least likely of the Roos’ senior core to want to switch clubs.
966de56a6845ddfce5f232ba05bb1de0
Ben Cunnington would command a high price on the trade table. Picture: AAP Images

TODD GOLDSTEIN, 30
Essendon is the club on the lookout for more ruck support and, as a free agent, the Bombers would not have to give up anything at the trade table. A decent deal could earn the Roos second-round draft compensation.

ROBBIE TARRANT, 30
The Roos are already struggling for key position depth so would be reluctant to part with Tarrant unless it was an outstanding deal.

JACK ZIEBELL, 28
North Melbourne captain would be a long-shot to depart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back