Opinion Trading Scott Pendlebury - the case for and against?

Remove this Banner Ad

Really? Sidey is more versatile, is a couple of years younger and has many of the leadership qualities Pendles has. I’d have thought we’d get similar coming back our way for both.

I’m thinking more off-field traits, IMO Pendles is more no-nonsense, sets high training standards, has higher expectations of those around him. Pendles has coaching aspirations.

By contrast Sidebottom seems a lot more relaxed and easy-going.

I’m not knocking Sidebottom, I just think Pendles would have more reasons to go, and would be a better fit to change Suns’ culture.

OK, so it’s trade period, time to set aside the romantic notions and, if we’re genuinely serious about our quest for success then get hard nosed and level headed ...

Consider these points - none would be contentious ...

Point 1: Going forward, as valuable as Scott Pendlebury is to Collingwood, he’d be far more valuable to the Suns. He’d bring strong leadership and training standards that they’re craving.

Point 2: The Suns would be able to compensate Collingwood well for Pendles. Early draft picks, young talented payers, they’ve got serious currency.

Point 3: If Pendles is genuinely interested in a future in coaching, he’d get far more out of doing a Luke Hodge and going to the Suns, compared to staying at Collingwood which would give him diminishing returns as far as personal/professional development,

Point 4: The Suns would / should have decent room in the salary cap to compensate Pendles well, far more than Collingwood would have. The Suns would also be in a position to offer Pendles a longer contract.

Point 5: Collingwood have a strong leadership core outside of Pendles. No Collingwood supporter would be upset if Sidebottom, Howe, or Adams suddenly became our next captain.

Point 6: There is only one Scott Pendlebury, but Collingwood do have meidfield depth. DeGoey will spend more time in the midfield. Crisp could spend more time in the midfield. Sier at his talented best is a worthy midfielder. Tyler Brown is coming up. Wills has shown good possibilities in only his 15 AFL games.

Point 7: If Collingwood did let Pendles go it would release tension on the salary cap.

Point 8: From a trade point of view, this year would be the best time to trade Pendles. He’s AA. He was 2nd in the B&F. He’s durable. He’s contracted and not a free agent . He’ll start next season 32 years of age. We’d be ‘selling’ at the top of the market. Leave it any longer and any decision by Pendles to do a Luke Hodge would end up like a Luke Hodge trade (ie: we’d get diddly squat)

Point 9: The Suns are a rabble and will be for a while yet. Very unlikely they could or would knock Collingwood out of the finals, or in some other way come back to bite us.

Point 10: As much as the notion of a ‘one club player’ is romantic, Luke Hodge going to Brisbane didn’t diminish his achievements or his connection to Hawthorn. Ditto Sam Mitchell going to WCE. GAJ going to Suns has been largely forgotten. Nobody remembers Brereton going to Swans and we only remember him being at Collingwood in case it gets asked at some pub trivia night.

Point 11: Pendles doesn’t really have much more to achieve at Collingwood. Premiership? Tick. B&F? Tick, tick, tick, tick, tick. AA? Tick, tick, tick, tick, tick and he can easily add to that at Suns. Norm Smith? Tick. AFLCA MVP? Tick. All he’s really got left is to break Tony Shaw’s club record and a Brownlow.

Strategic moves such as this are dependent on where you are from a premiership window. The question is does trading Pendles take us closer, or further away from a premiership next year?

I would say it would definitely take us further away next year and in that sense its a big no from me. This is not to say it shouldn't happen at some stage if Pendles is keen, but right now he's an A grader, that can have a massive influence on our flag chances next year - that's should be our only concern now - winning premierships.

If next year we drop further off the pace then potentially you might do it next year and let Pendles go there if he wants to do it.

If reports are true that GC wanted Treloar for pick 1 I can’t see them dealing us much for Pendlebury. It says to me that they’re after younger players.

Your a top poster 76 but I think this would rip the club apart. It would be like trading Bucks, Swanie, Browny or Millane it's a big no for me mate
You'd have to be an insider to know, but without having any knowledge, I always get the impression that Pendles sits a bit outside the core group of players. He comes across as a star player who is a bit like an assistant coach within the group, without being a core part of the group's culture. I get the impression that guys like Adams, Treloar, Grundy and Sidey are the core of the group whose loss would cause damage.

If reports are true that GC wanted Treloar for pick 1 I can’t see them dealing us much for Pendlebury. It says to me that they’re after younger players.

I can’t see that with Ravillion contracted to Magpies Netball, and expecting their first baby. Treloar is clearly a family man (moved back to Vic to be with family and coaching brother’s footy team)

Sure, the Pendleburys are also expecting, but it’s easier with the second, and it’s easier to go and have a sabbatical interstate before the kids get to school age.

Last edited:
I can’t see that with Ravillion contracted to Magpies Netball, and expecting their first baby. Treloar is clearly a family man (moved back to Vic to be with family and coaching brother’s footy team)

Sure, the Pendlebury’s are also expecting, but it’s easier with the second, and it’s easier to go and have a sabbatical interstate before the kids get to school age.
Reportedly we declined

we could trade pendles in this trade period but we might as well trade the rest of the top end players and go for a rebuild. We could change the focus of the club from winning premierships to winning trade periods and it might be uplifting to all the pie fans not having to worry about the season proper anymore.

No way. Go wash your mouth out with soap. Pendles might have as much as another 5 years in him. Keep in mind Pendles has NEVER had a soft tissue injury (the back doesn't count).

Hodge was a completely different situation. He had actually "retired" when the Lions came knocking.

Me too, and I’m like that with all Collingwood players, I’m a sentimentalist at heart ...

... but I’ve been doomed to follow a club that has such high expectations of success, so I need to put my own sentimentality aside.

And it’s worth considering that these days all high profile trades happen with the player’s consent and desire.
Im pretty open to trading everyone besides Grundy, Steve-o, De Goey, Moore and Pendlebury. With blokes like Crisp and Maynard becoming players id much rather keep, entire midfield besides Pendlebury id be willing to wack on the table.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is an impotent thread because he ain't goin' nowhere.
In fact, if this trade, or any other involving Pendles came to fruition, I will personally eat.......wait for it.....a bunch of kale!!!

we could trade pendles in this trade period but we might as well trade the rest of the top end players and go for a rebuild. We could change the focus of the club from winning premierships to winning trade periods and it might be uplifting to all the pie fans not having to worry about the season proper anymore.

They’re not mutually exclusive ...

... in fact they are connected.

I can't see how trading literally our best player ...

*2nd best player according to the Copeland.

... can damage our likelihood of winning a premiership in the next few years in any way at all

Many (including me) lamented the same when Beams went to Brisbane, and yet the team ended up much stronger as a result?

You'd have to be an insider to know, but without having any knowledge, I always get the impression that Pendles sits a bit outside the core group of players. He comes across as a star player who is a bit like an assistant coach within the group, without being a core part of the group's culture. I get the impression that guys like Adams, Treloar, Grundy and Sidey are the core of the group whose loss would cause damage.
Pendles does give that impression but he is the skipper and I'd be very surprised if he were to go elsewhere he's magpie royalty mate money isn't one of his problems

This is an impotent thread because he ain't goin' nowhere.
In fact, if this trade, or any other involving Pendles came to fruition, I will personally eat.......wait for it.....a bunch of kale!!!

Someone always takes it too far!

I'd be totally fine with trading Sidebottom. Pendles not so much. Sidey would have just as much value at the trade table too but would be infinitely more easily replaced.

I get the reflexive reaction but ...

... If Pendles requested a trade, if Collingwood gave it their blessing, and if Collingwood was well compensated ...

... would you be upset?

What would ‘well compensated’ look like?
yes id be upset. there arent many players that you just wouldnt trade and pendlebury is one of them
i understand the compensation would probably be worth it considering his age, but hes just an untouchable due to his legendary status
we dont need to copy what hawks have done. theyve just missed finals. whos to say trading their legendary players out has actually worked

They’re not mutually exclusive ...

... in fact they are connected.

but it would be a nonsense to trade out a player that is regularly getting best on ground, at a time when you are aiming to win a premiership.

But by all means, let's speculate. Why not trade out club presidents? Actually, I kind of like the "leasing" arrangements of the soccer. We could lease out Grundy to Adelaide for a year on a try it before you buy it basis. I think that would really spark a lot of media interest.

Or we could have a competition between the clubs on what club puts together the best half hour trade program on trade tv. Obviously, it would encourage more trades because clubs would want to announce their own trades on their own program. I think it would be great TV.

Give me a minute and I'll come up with a few more ideas. The more I think about it, the more I think that winning a premiership is so old school and boring. Hang on the plumber has just arrived....

Collingwood fans hope and prey, then celebrate Elliot for being loyal. Signing a contract well below what he would had received elsewhere.

We demand loyalty then throw our captain and many others under the bus. For what ? speculative picks. Club culture walks a thin line and this thinking would cause untold damage

yes id be upset. there arent many players that you just wouldnt trade and pendlebury is one of them
i understand the compensation would probably be worth it considering his age, but hes just an untouchable due to his legendary status
we dont need to copy what hawks have done. theyve just missed finals. whos to say trading their legendary players out has actually worked

grant burchole hasnt played a game of note for 2 years. Sam Mitchell was a beautiful user of the ball who couldnt get it. Jordan foxman spent most of his time at melbourne directing traffic. Grant it, Hodge did a good job at brisbane but i think he surprised most people. Pendles is mentioned top 20 in the competition this year. The two situations compare as much as eating at Mcdonalds and enjoying a good hamburger

Remove this Banner Ad

Back