Opinion Trading Scott Pendlebury - the case for and against?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah yes, thanks, that’s another one. Geelong’s Premiership chances in 2011 weren’t harmed by GAJ going to Suns.

GAJ went to Suns as a 26 year old highly talented marquee player. Sure, he could and would have reasonably been a healthy role model, and maybe on a scale of Dane Swan to Scott Pendlebury, he would have been closer to a Scott Pendlebury, but he wouldn’t have been a role model in the way of a 31 year old who has been captain of their club for half a dozen years.

And by reports GAJ’s deep religious convictions drew him to some but alienated him from most others.

And maybe Scott Pendlebury isn’t the most relatable role model in the world (Luke Hodge would be in a league of his own there) but it’d be a good test for him if he genuinely wants to get into coaching.

I’m reminded by a story out of Brisbane that was related recently: Shortly after Hodge turned up he was out having lunch with some young players, the young players selected fizzy drinks with their lunch and Hodge said “Nah, if we’re going to be serious we can’t be doing that” and swapped them out for water. Dayne Beams obviously hadn’t influenced them in that area. That’s just a minor example, but I’m sure one of kazillions that could happen inside a footy club.
Luke Hodge was famous for smashing beers mid week during the season. Fact.
#rolemodel

Can i ask a question ... why the fu** does anyone in here care how good Pendlebury would be for Gold Coast?

Fair question. There are two reasons:

(1) Trading isn’t just about value to you, it’s also about value to who you’re trading with. If you’re driving around a desert in a water truck and you come across a thirsty man, do you sell him water for the value that it has to you, or the value that it has to him? That’s also a question of ethics and survival, so let’s get back to the cut throat world of AFL trading: What would Scott Pendlebury be worth to the Suns?

(2) The AFL is a closed market of 18 competitive entities. When a team trades they are striving to make themselves better than the opposition which they can do by either (a) trading to make themselves stronger or (b) trading to make the opposition weaker or (c) a combination of a and b. Wells made the point over the recent Kelly trade ... why would Geelong willingly let Kelly go to a fellow Premiership contender? Geelong’s hefty compensation for Kelly wasn’t just about making Geelong stronger, but it was also about making WCE weaker. Alex Ferguson in principle didn’t like trading with other clubs at the top of the EPL. Check: Would a Suns with Scott Pendlebury hurt Collingwood’s Premiership chances? No.

Last edited:
... and i’d expect hes earnt the right to veto any trade should Collingwood decide to do that.

Absolutely! I’ve made the point many times that the trade of players of that profile doesn’t happen without the player’s consent and desire ...

... which is why (as you’ve pointed out) it’s important to look at it from the player’s point of view to understand if there’d be any value to them.

Fair question. There are two reasons:

(1) Trading isn’t just about value to you, it’s about value to who you’re trading with. If you’re driving around a desert in a water truck and you come across a thirsty man, do you sell him water for the value that it has to you, or the value that it has to him? That’s also a question of ethics and survival, so let’s get back to the cut throat world of AFL trading: What would Scott Pendlebury be worth to the Suns?

(2) The AFL is a closed market of 18 competitive entities. When a team trades they are striving to make themselves better than the opposition which they can do by either (a) trading to make themselves stronger or (b) trading to make the opposition weaker or (c) a combination of a and b. Wells made the point over the recent Kelly trade ... why would Geelong willingly let Kelly go to a fellow Premiership contender? Geelong’s hefty compensation for Kelly wasn’t just about making Geelong stronger, but it was about making WCE weaker. Alex Ferguson in principle didn’t like trading with other clubs at the top of the EPL. Check: Would a Suns with Scott Pendlebury hurt Collingwood’s Premiership chances? No.
Thats a well thought out response. Im not sure how i feel about the thirsty guy analogy, it probably applies to someone within the club involved in list management, maximising value and what not.

But me as a supporter, I couldn’t care less about how great GC’s future looks by Trading in Scott. I’d care bout what we get, and whether that decision to trade him is really going to benefit us

I don't have an issue with you necessarily bringing this up.

However my reasoned logic for saying no is why would we possibly get rid of arguably our most highly skilled player, especially with how many poorly skilled players we have. I think Pendles is the most unique mid on our list in this sense.

Pendles is actually prob worth more to us than he is to the Sun's, due to our poor skills and that we are around a possible premiership window.

I don’t think our skills are that bad compared to the rest of the comp - we wouldn’t have made a GF and a Prelim if they were. If anything kills us it’s our poor set shots, and Pendles can’t do much about that.

It would have to be an unbelievable deal ...

Absolutely!

... and I can't see Sun's doing that.

True. After all, they are bottom of the ladder for a reason :p

I don’t think our skills are that bad compared to the rest of the comp - we wouldn’t have made a GF and a Prelim if they were. If anything kills us it’s our poor set shots, and Pendles can’t do much about that.

Absolutely!

True. After all, they are bottom of the ladder for a reason :p
I personally think our kicking skills are bottom 5 in the comp.

We make up for it with our contested footy, tackling and general pressure around the ball.

To name 3 examples in our midfield. Adams, Treloar and Phillips.

Not sure re Beams.

I personally think our kicking skills are bottom 5 in the comp.

We make up for it with our contested footy, tackling and general pressure around the ball.

To name 3 examples in our midfield. Adams, Treloar and Phillips.

Not sure re Beams.
I think our kicking skills have improved significantly over the past 2 years. Our short kicking game is testament to that.

We do have players who could continue improving particularly when going into the forward line. Treloar and Adams (who has been a little better recently) are the two that need to do a lot better. I don’t think I’ve seen Beams running straight on towards the forward line and kicking the ball accurately. He seems to always be side-on and kicking around his body. Not sure if that’s just positioning or the fact he his pace is down a little (whether it be due to carrying injuries or age).

I think our kicking skills have improved significantly over the past 2 years. Our short kicking game is testament to that.

We do have players who could continue improving particularly when going into the forward line. Treloar and Adams (who has been a little better recently) are the two that need to do a lot better. I don’t think I’ve seen Beams running straight on towards the forward line and kicking the ball accurately. He seems to always be side-on and kicking around his body. Not sure if that’s just positioning or the fact he his pace is down a little (whether it be due to carrying injuries or age).
We have to play a short kicking game due to our terrible kicking.

The irony is, that I believe the accuracy kicking comp at the draft combine, is named after Bucks.

Now he was a superb kick. He obviously struggles with passing those skills on to the team. I am not saying he is a bad coach. He just has little to work with.

Thats a well thought out response. Im not sure how i feel about the thirsty guy analogy, it probably applies to someone within the club involved in list management, maximising value and what not.

But me as a supporter, I couldn’t care less about how great GC’s future looks by Trading in Scott. I’d care bout what we get, and whether that decision to trade him is really going to benefit us

So if somebody in Collingwood’s list management judged that the Suns were indeed extremely thirsty for Scott Pendlebury, and they were able to get a deal that greatly benefited us (and Scott was happy and it benefited him) then you’d be cool with it?

Somebody raised the idea of Jack Lukosius.
Another person raised the idea of picks 1 and 2.

Obviously they’re very high prices, but if the Suns really are thirsty ...

Last edited:
So if somebody in the club in list management judged that the Suns were indeed extremely thirsty for Scott Pendlebury, and they were able to get a deal that greatly benefited us (and Scott was happy for the deal and it benefited him) then you’d be cool with it?

Somebody raised the idea of Jack Lukosius.
Another person raised the idea of picks 1 and 2.

Obviously they’re very high prices, but if the Suns really are thirsty ...
You do raise good points but I highly doubt Pendles leaves a premiership contender as captain to the biggest basket case in the afl.

I also believe he gets a cushy job on our coaching staff when he does finish up. Hopefully that is a long way away 😁😁😁

I've got no idea why you think the Suns would pay much for him. Hes been a wonderful player and hopefully will continue to be so for the next few years. So he'd give them a short term boost on field, but they'd still be ordinary.

Other than his playing stuff, he seems pretty aloof. He doesn't come across as the kind of character that is boing to be a charasmatic changer of culture that players would rally around and try to emulate. I reckon you could het his style of leadership from your assistant coaches, as guys who sit a bit outside the group.

I think they should keep all their talented kids and high picks and chase 4 cheap popular role models to change the culture and make it a more fun place to be in order to keep players. I don't think Scott P is the man for that. 4 Levi Greenwoods is what I'd be chasing.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine you were ...

(1) Suns senior coach. Who do you think would better set your team up for the future (a) Two more pick 1/2’s? Or (b) Scott Pendlebury? Before you answer, have a think about all those other top draft picks that have gone through the club over the last 10 years and how they’ve made the Suns such a powerhouse.

(2) Suns list manager struggling year after year to throw $$$ at the competition’s B grade hacks to try to reach the 95% minimum cap spend. And trying to stop half the young list from getting ‘homesick’. Who would you rather (a) yet more pick 1/2’s? or (b) Scott Pendlebury?

(3) Suns marketing manager struggling to get bums on seats at the footy. Who would you rather, (a) two more exciting young prospects!!! Or (b) Scott Pendlebury?

(4) Tony Cochrane, Suns President and global promoter. He’s the bloke who’s trying to put Gold Coast on the map and was behind the car racing on the Gold Coast, Rolling Stones promoter, etc. Who would you rather have come to the Suns (a) two more top draft picks or (b) Scott Pendlebury?

(5) Gil McLaughlan, sick to death of the media talk about how the Suns are a basket case and a failure and should be moved or shut down. Who would you rather at the Suns (a) two more early draft picks or (b) Scott Pendlebury?

Without a sparrows farts doubt picks 1 and 2.

You can pick up a player to fill the role for much much less detrimental impact to your future stocks. See Hodge.

We have to play a short kicking game due to our terrible kicking.

The irony is, that I believe the accuracy kicking comp at the draft combine, is named after Bucks.

Now he was a superb kick. He obviously struggles with passing those skills on to the team. I am not saying he is a bad coach. He just has little to work with.

Most kicking skills are ingrained by the time they play AFL sure they can improve on it but its marginal often.

It's more on our recruiters if we have a lopsided amount of mongrel punters.

He leads by actions and on field acts of Bravery and hardness whilst maintaining a jovial yet professional attitude. 1 of the best non pies players in the modern era.
I’m not disputing that, just saying his pregame approach is not conventional.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back