Remove this Banner Ad

Magpiespower

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan
Dec 16, 2004
Salisbury
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Okay, so it's Grand Final week and I can't think of any better way to put off work and push back missed deadlines even further than having a look at recent Port v Norwood grand finals.

Now when I say recent, I mean grand finals in my lifetime: 1980, 1984, 1997 and 1999.

Leading up Sunday's big game, I'll post something about each grand final in chronological order. So today will be 1980, tomorrow 1984, Friday 1997 and Saturday 1999.

Thought it might be a nice way to build-up the week and, at the same time, share our memories and experiences - good and bad, exhilarating and disappointing - of these unforgettable clashes. Except maybe 1997. That was pretty forgettable. Unless we're talking about the Reserves.

Here we go...

They said it

“It was the hardest final we have played in... The premiership is well deserved for the players who were prepared to put in the extra work during the year and set high standards. They are the most mature and hard-working players I have ever coached... The best side I’ve ever coached... they’ve got out of it what they’ve put into it.”
- John Cahill.

“I’m very proud of the players. We had the game set up. We still should have won it... We didn’t come all this way to lose by 18 points. So I can’t say well done. We should have won it. We could have won it. But what we won’t do next year is lose to them again. We had a big chance to win but we didn’t.”
- Neil Balme.

“It was a tremendous game. We won with a real team effort... everyone contributed.”
- Bucky Cunningham.

“So near yet so far.”

- Michael Taylor.

“You gave us one hell of a fright.”
- ‘Big Bob’ McLean to Norwood players after the game.

“What a game! And I thought rugby league was a hard sport.”
- Visiting NSW Premier ‘Nifty’ Neville Wran.

“One of the greatest grand finals of our time.”
- Max Basheer, SANFL President.

Last edited:

afl-sanfl_84521_0040-500x500.jpg

b_samarch.jpg

moPrnz-zTx8nOBzrbpNiAAQ.jpg

My brother's best mate had one of these jumpers. I remember seeing them everywhere. Wanted one so bad but - being only five - I was too little. So I never got one. Should've bought one. Damn thing might fit me now. Emphasis on might.

miyxOY5QMECJG0KQ0nPZh-A.jpg

The '81 premiership beer glass still sits proudly in our cabinet.

04 Phillips Kinnear.png
05 Kim Kinnear.png

PHILLIPS & KINNEAR: Easily Port's best players. Phillips controlled CHB while Kinnear just ran all day. Two goals from Phillips/Kinnear/Ebert link-ups in the first quarter is like watching Power '14.

06 John Cahill Worried.png
WHAT, ME WORRY? This is as relaxed as Jack got all day... and it's still only the 2nd quarter.

Last edited:
07 Abernethy Dunstan.gif
ABBA: Massive play early in the last quarter. Dunstan marks from the kick-in. Tries to run around Young Bruce. Yeah, right. Holding the ball. Goal. Port up by 10 points.

08 Taylor Kinnear.png
TURNING POINT: Down by 16 points midway through the last quarter, Norwood looked gone. Against the run of play, the Legs kick two goals in a minute to get back to within four points. Taylor wins the clearance from the ensuing centre bounce and they're away... until Kym Kinnear intercepts the handball and pumps it long. Moments later, Greg Boyd goals to give us some breathing space. Norwood chairman Glen McMahon described this play as "the incident that decided the premiership."

Bits & pieces

- Tony Giles infamously missed the game after getting into a punch-up with Woodville defender Ian Rainbird at a pub. The stoush left him with a busted hand and a busted jaw. And, I'm guessing, Jack's wrath.
- Tony Hannan only played two league games for the year. Both were Port's finals.
- Jack Thompson, star of the hit footy movie The Club, was a guest of the SANFL. "Laurie" got big reception when introduced to the crowd.
- A recorded message from PM Malcolm Fraser was drowned out by boos and slow handclaps around the ground.
- The Four Kinsmen provided pre-match "entertainment" singing three songs accompanied by large singing kangaroo dummies dressed in the clubs’ colours.
- The SANFL used the day to gain support to install light 70m high light towers at Footy Park. Red Coats encouraged fans to sign a petition to present to members of State Parliament. It read:

“Your petitioners pray that your Honourable House will take urgent action to to enable the league to proceed with its proposals to provide floodlighting at Football Park to international standard immediately.”

I missed the 1980 GF because I was on my honeymoon in Tassie :drunk:

This game was supposed to be the first SANFL GF telecast live across Australia. Well if it was they forgot about Tasmania as all we had was an Over 40's (as in age) One Day Cricket game.

The night before I had woken up in the middle of the night, sat bolt upright, and yelled out "Norwood". My wife asked me the next morning if I remembered it and I said it was very clear to me what I said. I was panicking all day waiting to hear the result and it was around 6 pm when I heard the result.

Let me tell you there was much relief.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

moPrnz-zTx8nOBzrbpNiAAQ.jpg

My brother's best mate had one of these jumpers. I remember seeing them everywhere. Wanted one so bad but - being only five - I was too little. So I never got one. Should've bought one. Damn thing might fit me now. Emphasis on might.

i had that jumper as a kid, loved it too...
was having a meal at the club after a maggies match earlier in the year and a kid was wearing it, must have been his old mans from 30 odd years ago.

I missed the 1980 GF because I was on my honeymoon in Tassie :drunk:

This game was supposed to be the first SANFL GF telecast live across Australia...

According to the Tiser it was telecast live around the nation... except Tassie and WA.

01 Footy Park Aerial.png
FOR SALE: This could be yours for a few mill. Have to put up with the neighours from hell. Guess that light towers petition worked a treat!

02 Olympic Motorcade.png
OLYMPIANS IN UTES: Better than the LA Games opening ceremony.

04 National Anthem.png
NATIONAL ANTHEM: Singer Kim Durant's big moment was upstaged by...

05 Evans v Balme.jpg
EVANS V BALME: Most memorable start in Grand Final history. They had clashed previously in the minor round and this was just the start of it. Was this the last time players lined-up in their positions for the singing of the National Anthem?

Last edited:
06 Brawl.png
BRAWL: First minute of the game. All-in!

07 Evans v Balme 2.jpg
REMATCH: Evans outpoints Balme in the goalsquare. So Balme belts him. Steven Knight rushes in. And it's on again. Then raging bull Dwayne Russell bulldozes Lester Ross and ump Laure Argent reverses it. So instead of Evans lining up for goal from five metres out, Ross clears for the Legs. Sigh.

08 Evans v Balme 3.jpg
HONG KONG TIMMY: When the going gets tough, he's really rough with a Hong Kong Timmy chop. He-ya!

Last edited:
07 Port Bench.png
BENCH: Best spot to watch the Evans-Balme trilogy, which rivals Ali-Frazier. Check out the mascot in the white adidas jacket. Cute lil' fella.

15 Ben Harris.png
BEN HARRIS: Missed out with an ankle injury from the 2nd Semi. Port played funny buggers for two weeks. Will he/won't he play? Nobody fell for it.

Last edited:
09 Max James.png
MAX JAMES: His only league game for the year was the Grand Final.

10 Anthony Williams.png
ANTHONY WILLIAMS: Roberts kicked six on him. Battled hard all day. R.I.P.

11 Steven Knight.png
STEVEN KNIGHT: He was up in everyone's face. Kicked a couple of goals. I believe he's saying "Up yours!" here. R.I.P.

12 KT Mark.png
KT: Long before he was saving our club off-the-ground, he was killing us on it.

13 Dwayne Russell KO.jpg
WINTER'S BONE: Russell kicks a goal. Bruce Winter hits him late with a stray elbow. Stretcher case my arse!

16 Craig Ebert.png
BRAD'S DAD: Once and for all, Craig Ebert is Brad's dad. Not Russell. Craig. Craig is not Brett's dad. Russell is. Russell and Craig are brothers. Brad and Brett are first cousins. Okay?

17 Six Minutes Away.png
SO CLOSE: Six minutes and fifty seconds. That's how close we were to the premiership. ARRGGGHHHH!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back