Training Training reports 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Robbie in the last slide showing the zip and class by foot he’s been showing this pre season. He’s a completely different player to last season. Will get opportunities to cement himself this year imo.
He looked great hey.

Thoughts on this please The Nostradamus, is it even worthwhile Shiels coming back to the club? Surely going to a wedding when there’s a match sim on calls for his immediate sacking? View attachment 1889397
A one off session is fine

Unlike old mate extra time greenwood who took an extra week and a half off

Thanks for seeking clarification tho

Thomas has groin issues as well as his current need for a low profile. Kevin's injury report updates us on many of the above players. What's the news on Curtis Taylor, Shiels, Goad, Comben, Zurhaar and Free?

Taylor ?
Shiels Wedding
Goad Concussion
Comben Managing Loads
Zurhaar ?
Free Still recovering from shoulder surgery.

Bailey Scott saying there's been a big focus on red time running and skill execution and he could see the improvement on the back of the PBs. He'd be rapt because he was having to shoulder a big load later in quarters last year.

Yep, reminds me of poor-little-ben-McKay-has-always-played-in-losing-teams. Now * is going to understand why that is.
Come off it bro. There was not a cause and effect relationship there. He was inconsistent last year but in the games he was good, his level was higher than the best of any of our other defenders. That includes Logue

I hate getting excited in the preseason, but there were some sharp passages of play in those highlights.

And Bailey Scott a senior player at 23.

Good to see some vision. A few thoughts:

- Wardlaw is a ******* power beast. If he can stay fit he will just destroy some teams. He is half way through his first proper pre season and is holding his own against LDU who I consider (no doubt with some bias) the best power mid in the comp right now. At 19. Nuts.

- Phillips I know many see as "inside or nothing" and with a heap of competition but I actually think he is one that needs just elite fitness to power at 90% for as much TOG as possible. I don't think he will ever be the best in full congestion as he is a touch small but he actually can easily be the second set of hands releasing or disposing with a neat kick rather than only at the coal face. I'm still bullish that he can have a long career with us as that ultra reliable 30+ neat posessions type that might not be the best at any one position but is very much the next best at close to every position.

- Harvey is the other one that jumps out at me from this and a few moments last year. On paper he's a flanker type that isn't quite big enough, a midfielder that isn't quite powerful enough or a forward that isn't fast enough. All that makes sense, but in the real world - on the football ground - he seems to just find ways to kick goals. Kicks them at VFL level, you go through the highlights and they're often just neat and not flashy, but they come, they come reliably. Goals are goals and anyone that finds a way to regularly kick them - even if they have one leg missing - is doing 90% of the job well. Strikes me as smart enough to do the team running and strategy stuff well to make up for those missing 5% physical shortcomings. We don't need, or at least, won't be able to afford to pay 10 Sheezel, Wardlaw, LDU Larkey types. I've spent time looking for what's missing, but if he keeps getting on the scoreboard at some point we might just have to accept that the sum of the parts is greater than each in isolation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve got Taylor and McDonald for mine this year.

Usually when there’s smoke there‘s fire. Members just don’t put the microscope on players because they don’t like the way they look.

s**t, look how much leeway we’ve given TT.
Sometimes the average member cannot fully comprehend the value a player may have in playing a role within the team that’s valuable to us winning games, but may not show up in the stats sheet.

They might be valued by coaches and their team mates, and say for example, be voted in as captain.

Or they might have a lot of attributes the team needs - but a perceived weakness that is exaggerated or focused upon.

So sometimes members can be completely misguided.

I mean, do we really need ‘whipping boys’. It’s a *en stupid idea.

Sometimes the average member cannot fully comprehend the value a player may have in playing a role within the team that’s valuable to us winning games, but may not show up in the stats sheet.

They might be valued by coaches and their team mates, and say for example, be voted in as captain.

Or they might have a lot of attributes the team needs - but a perceived weakness that is exaggerated or focused upon.

So sometimes members can be completely misguided.

I mean, do we really need ‘whipping boys’. It’s a *en stupid idea.
The problem with it is, we’re an 18th side. So what defines value for us is really tough when we compare it to the greater competition. I mean didn’t we win games without our leaders?

I guess my point is. When you’re at the bottom of the ladder for so long. There is absolutely nowhere to hide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back