Training Training Reports and Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

It's good governance to get board sign off on important decisions to ensure they align with the strategy set by the board
You’re spot on, but in reality it’s the box tickiest of box ticking exercises. Not even an Ed lead board is overruling a player vote that’s been endorsed by the coaching group.

Last edited:
Bit weird isn’t it, board loaded up with non football people rubber stamping the captain. I dare say it’s as good as approved though, if Fly and GW have approved it.

Back to training…. And it was a relatively casual affair today, first day back from the mini break. Getting back into the swing, whilst still focussing on basics re attack / defense / quick handball transition… repetition, muscle and skill memory.

Overriding feeling is that if flags are won on team bonding and chemistry, hand us the cup now. Team looks v tight, to a man. Best I have ever seen. The rat pack was close, but there were obvious cliques and cronyism. Not here, as the support and love for one another is palpable.

Moore was there again and looks in good nick, whilst slightly slimmer. Did a lot of agility drills and light skills work. No issues though, and is no doubt not that far off from more involved competitive stuff.

Howe is another one who has slimmed down. Looks like a whippet now, no doubt to take some pressure off his knees / legs.

McStay looked good again today. Involved, strong marking, presenting well.

Nick Daicos best on imo. Kicking is absolutely sublime. Whilst others spray a bit, with wind and pressure putting them off, Nick is rock solid. Legs also v strong now, and does not lack anything defensively, so a starting midfield spot is his for the taking imo. Just so smart and such a natural leader. King may not be crazy laying some cash on him for Charlie. Does everything well, and is the much needed star factor that we’ve needed.

Josh was also nice and involved today. Kicking again v reliable, and linking up well.

Jordy vocal, quite critical of anyone not acting fast enough. Still has a mean streak in him, and obviously wants team success as much as anyone.

Billy F solid again, dropped one mark, but as much a general down back as anyone these days.

Elliott smooth as silk and his skills so good to see up close. Left or right, is much more than a goal kicking FP. Please stay fit Billy.

Ryan - involved today. Has the running and tenacity, plus good hands, just seems to be coming into his own and making his presence known. Will be great to see him in the real stuff. Just hope he gets the opportunity and confidence to do his own thing a bit. Still Looks to be playing within the rules, with eyes down and chip kicks a lot. Really want to see him look further down the field and open things up, ala Crisp or Bruz

Hill - chased well and always looms as a threat. Should get more involved with fitness, but is an excitement machine.

Sidey - few chip kick errors, casual attitude with some drill today. Just wish he’d follow through, and avoid stupid errors. Needs to realise he’s a role model for the kids and not accept mediocrity. And maybe watch a Michael Jordan video on training like you play…

Trey - made some kicking mistakes today. Know it’s training, but things like this show me why he’s backup only at this stage.

Cox - took some nice marks, dropped a couple also. Again, wish he would show more intensity, and be taught to clutch marks like his life depended on it.

Ginni - as dependable as ever. If the Daicos boys, plus pendles, Bruz and Elliott are the best kicks we have, this guy is right up there. Looks like a regular millennial gamer, but has elite AFL skills and smarts. Again, just so good to see it up close. Seems a step ahead of most defenders, and finds the goals or a teammate at will. Such a great rookie selection.

Ed - am still opining that he is a project player this year. But he has nice poise, and skills. Def looks like he could be something special. All about development now, and how hard he wants to work at his craft to become a gun player.

Floreat pica

Last edited:
Pre-season. January 30.

Pretty strong squad on board this afternoon. First session back, and I imagine things will start to ramp up with match sims quite quickly from this point on. Wonder if they'll have a sort of one on friday? I imagine it'll be fridays, as they'll have the weekend to recover.

Only player not on deck was Kreuger.

Rehab group consisted of:

• Moore
  • Harrison
  • Macrae

Jordy and Howe did their own thing.

We can cross McCreery off the rehab list. He has entered full training.

Dean is also not in the rehab group. Seems that finger/thumb issue was very minor.

But in terms of the rehab group as a whole, it doesn't seem to be too serious. No Kreuger, who is probably the most serious of them all, but those out there o the track are progressing well.
Macrae and Moore did a couple drills, before they went on to do a running session. Harrison joined them.

Pressure day, so some of the drills pertained to "stepping in" to pressure your opponent.
Johnson did very well in this aspect, and the coaches told the players to get around him. He looked good today. Was moving well, and leading into space during match play.

Even though they do 4 rotations, you tend to just focus on the one closest to you, and can't always pay attention to the others. But while one in front of me was about ground balls, the others involved around moving the ball around congestion I need to work on focusing on the other groups going forward lol

Noble was very good today. The way he just runs through the space around the opposition with his pace. And there was this passage of play where he kicked the ball from about 70 metres and reached his target (mcstay) believe the was involved in a long handball that was mighty impressive.

Hill sure has some tricks, and skill doesn't he? Not just a small forward, but his skills around the ball are pretty useful.

A few switcheroo's with numbers today.

Ginni and Bianco
Macrae and Draper
Nick wore 6 before he changed to 35 later on
Carmichael had 31
McCreery with Chugg's old number, 34.
Hill spotting the 16 today
Harrison and Reef switched
Murphy and Dean wearing the same 43

Not wearing numbers:
Pendes
Frampton
Allan
Richards
Mihocek
Johnson

When they did some match play, it was with the smaller sticks where it was around 9 x 9 split into 3 groups I think.
From my view, it appeared that Richards was back to playing up forward.
WHE did look to be playing off half back, but then he didn't participate in this as he did a running session. Not sure if he has an issue, or its conditioning. Wilson was another that he maybe have gotten a knock... corky maybe, and went to the medicos. He did some runs throughs on the other side of the ground, but may have went inside after that.

Ryan is looking more and more comfortable, and just uses the ball very well, and just runs. With those locks, he is hard to miss. All the draftees seem to be fitting in very well.

Bit weird isn’t it, board loaded up with non football people rubber stamping the captain. I dare say it’s as good as approved though, if Fly and GW have approved it.

Back to training…. And it was a relatively casual affair today, first day back from the mini break. Getting back into the swing, whilst still focussing on basics re attack / defense / quick handball transition… repetition, muscle and skill memory.

Overriding feeling is that if flags are won on team bonding and chemistry, hand us the cup now. Team looks v tight, to a man. Best I have ever seen. The rat pack was close, but there were obvious cliques and cronyism. Not here, as the support and love for one another is palpable.

Moore was there again and looks in good nick, whilst slightly slimmer. Did a lot of agility drills and light skills work. No issues though, and is no doubt not that far off from more involved competitive stuff.

Howe is another one who has slimmed down. Looks like a whippet now, no doubt to take some pressure off his knees / legs.

Nick Daicos best on imo. Kicking is absolutely sublime. Whilst others spray a bit, with wind and pressure putting them off, Nick is rock solid. Legs also v strong now, and does not lack anything defensively, so a starting midfield spot is his for the taking imo. Just so smart and such a natural leader. King may not be crazy laying some cash on him for Charlie. Does everything well, and is the much needed star factor that we’ve needed.

Josh was also nice and involved today. Kicking again v reliable, and linking up well.

Jordy vocal, quite critical of anyone not acting fast enough. Still has a mean streak in him, and obviously wants team success as much as anyone.

Billy F solid again, dropped one mark, but as much a general down back as anyone these days.

Elliott smooth as silk and his skills so good to see up close. Left or right, is much more than a goal kicking FP. Please stay fit Billy.

Ryan - involved today. Has the running and tenacity, plus good hands, just seems to be coming into his own and making his presence known. Will be great to see him in the real stuff. Just hope he gets the opportunity and confidence to do his own thing a bit. Still Looks to be playing within the rules, with eyes down and chip kicks a lot. Really want to see him look further down the field and open things up, ala Crisp or Bruz

Hill - chased well and always looms a threat. Should get more involved with fitness, but is an excitement machine.

Sidey - few chip kick errors, casual attitude with some drill today. Just wish he’d follow through, and avoid stupid errors. Needs to realise he’s a role model for the kids and not accept mediocrity. And maybe watch a Michael Jordan video or training like you play…

Trey - made some kicking mistakes today. Know it’s training, but things like this show me why he’s backup only at this stage.

Cox - took some nice marks, dropped a couple also. Again, wish he would show more intensity, and be taught to clutch marks like his life depended on it.

Ginni - as dependable as ever. If the Daicos boys, plus pendles, Bruz and Elliott are the best kicks we have, this guy is right up there. Looks like a regular millennial gamer, but has elite AFL skills and smarts. Again, just so good to see it up close. Seems a step ahead of most defenders, and finds the goals or a teammate as will. Such a great rookie selection.

Ed - am still opining that he is a project player this year. But he has nice poise, and skills. Def looks like he could be something special. All about development now, and how hard he wants to work at his craft to become a gun player.

Floreat pica
Sidey has been on the slidey for some time, but still when the game is on the line he can lift. Plays that veteran role very well. Don’t expect anymore, and you won’t be disappointed.

Disappointing to hear from a number of posters that Hill is not running hard enough, he’s a new recruit and you expect them to train harder.

Ruscoe, kicking….if you’re going to be a poor kick you have to have Adams type qualities…that he does not. I would have preferred keeping Tyler Brown on the list in his place.

Thanks for the report!

Pre-season. January 30.

Pretty strong squad on board this afternoon. First session back, and I imagine things will start to ramp up with match sims quite quickly from this point on. Wonder if they'll have a sort of one on friday? I imagine it'll be fridays, as they'll have the weekend to recover.

Only player not on deck was Kreuger.

Rehab group consisted of:

• Moore
  • Harrison
  • Macrae

Jordy and Howe did their own thing.

We can cross McCreery off the rehab list. He has entered full training.

Dean is also not in the rehab group. Seems that finger/thumb issue was very minor.

But in terms of the rehab group as a whole, it doesn't seem to be too serious. No Kreuger, who is probably the most serious of them all, but those out there o the track are progressing well.
Macrae and Moore did a couple drills, before they went on to do a running session. Harrison joined them.

Pressure day, so some of the drills pertained to "stepping in" to pressure your opponent.
Johnson did very well in this aspect, and the coaches told the players to get around him. He looked good today. Was moving well, and leading into space during match play.

Even though they do 4 rotations, you tend to just focus on the one closest to you, and can't always pay attention to the others. But while one in front of me was about ground balls, the others involved around moving the ball around congestion I need to work on focusing on the other groups going forward lol

Noble was very good today. The way he just runs through the space around the opposition with his pace. And there was this passage of play where he kicked the ball from about 70 metres and reached his target (mcstay) believe the was involved in a long handball that was mighty impressive.

Hill sure has some tricks, and skill doesn't he? Not just a small forward, but his skills around the ball are pretty useful.

A few switcheroo's with numbers today.

Ginni and Bianco
Macrae and Draper
Nick wore 6 before he changed to 35 later on
Carmichael had 31
McCreery with Chugg's old number, 34.
Hill spotting the 16 today
Harrison and Reef switched
Murphy and Dean wearing the same 43

Not wearing numbers:
Pendes
Frampton
Allan
Richards
Mihocek
Johnson

When they did some match play, it was with the smaller sticks where it was around 9 x 9 split into 3 groups I think.
From my view, it appeared that Richards was back to playing up forward.
WHE did look to be playing off half back, but then he didn't participate in this as he did a running session. Not sure if he has an issue, or its conditioning. Wilson was another that he maybe have gotten a knock... corky maybe, and went to the medicos. He did some runs throughs on the other side of the ground, but may have went inside after that.

Ryan is looking more and more comfortable, and just uses the ball very well, and just runs. With those locks, he is hard to miss. All the draftees seem to be fitting in very well.

Thanks Jen. Not a fan of the background music though. Careful of copyright as well.

Hill - chased well and always looms a threat. Should get more involved with fitness, but is an excitement machine.

Sidey - few chip kick errors, casual attitude with some drill today. Just wish he’d follow through, and avoid stupid errors. Needs to realise he’s a role model for the kids and not accept mediocrity. And maybe watch a Michael Jordan video or training like you play…

Ginni - as dependable as ever. If the Daicos boys, plus pendles, Bruz and Elliott are the best kicks we have, this guy is right up there. Looks like a regular millennial gamer, but has elite AFL skills and smarts. Again, just so good to see it up close. Seems a step ahead of most defenders, and finds the goals or a teammate as will. Such a great rookie selection.

Floreat pica
Training needs to be taken seriously otherwise it becomes "just training" and mistakes start to set in.

All the boys want to win the flag. It's no longer about whether we have the list; it's about how we use that list. Geelong are no better than us but know how to utilise the talent they have.

It's hard to actually notice Grundy is gone. From an on-field perspective. Cox and Cameron both can fill the void he left and collectively their pay is likely under Grundy's mega deal.

Nick Daicos is scary, although I credit that to him having the smarts to start training properly at a young age. Nick didn't wait until being drafted to become a professional; he did that much earlier. I'm impressed Nick has managed to keep a level head, too. I'm not used to a Collingwood player being so well admired. Anyone saying that his work off half back is cheap forgets that other clubs can do the same. I'm not convinced JHF would've appreciated playing off HB given he wanted to be in the midfield and kicking goals. So you can't have it both ways. Nick saw HB as a chance to develop his game and didn't whinge. He's now a much better player because of his year in the nursery.

They were never going to announce it until after the AO news was over. Any moment now, and it’ll be the headline sports news.

The club will drip feed announcements to give us punters a continuous stream of things to gasbag about.

Yesterday was about getting Ned back.

I’m putting a reminder in my calendar for next Monday for the captain announcement …

… CFC are getting their supporters into training for Monday chatter around the water cooler.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Training needs to be taken seriously otherwise it becomes "just training" and mistakes start to set in.

All the boys want to win the flag. It's no longer about whether we have the list; it's about how we use that list. Geelong are no better than us but know how to utilise the talent they have.

It's hard to actually notice Grundy is gone. From an on-field perspective. Cox and Cameron both can fill the void he left and collectively their pay is likely under Grundy's mega deal.

Nick Daicos is scary, although I credit that to him having the smarts to start training properly at a young age. Nick didn't wait until being drafted to become a professional; he did that much earlier. I'm impressed Nick has managed to keep a level head, too. I'm not used to a Collingwood player being so well admired. Anyone saying that his work off half back is cheap forgets that other clubs can do the same. I'm not convinced JHF would've appreciated playing off HB given he wanted to be in the midfield and kicking goals. So you can't have it both ways. Nick saw HB as a chance to develop his game and didn't whinge. He's now a much better player because of his year in the nursery.
Agreed he is a consummate professional - which you would expect with the way he looks up to Pendles.

Sidey has been on the slidey for some time, but still when the game is on the line he can lift. Plays that veteran role very well. Don’t expect anymore, and you won’t be disappointed.

Disappointing to hear from a number of posters that Hill is not running hard enough, he’s a new recruit and you expect them to train harder.

Ruscoe, kicking….if you’re going to be a poor kick you have to have Adams type qualities…that he does not. I would have preferred keeping Tyler Brown on the list in his place.

Thanks for the report!
Big assumption here that he’s simply not training hard enough given how much time he missed last year with his cancer treatment. His tank wasn’t the best even before that, so some leeway is needed for him in this early stage of his career at Collingwood in order for him to progress back to full match fitness.

Noble can be frustrating at times, but he has far more good moments than bad and is best 22. Has been a great pickup and obviously valued by old and new coaching group.
I don't question his courage or endeavour.
Disposal?????

I don't question his courage or endeavour.
Disposal?????
Everyone coughs it up from time to time - even Nick did a couple of times last year.
Nobes has steadily improved since we drafted him & his line breaking run is important to our game style.
He's another of our rookie gems.

I like your points about Ash - he provides a point of difference to the forward line - he's an exceptional mark on the lead. Reckon you want your backline to be highly predictable and your forward line highly un-predictable, Ash is enigmatic and the sort of player who can turn games - whilst I don't think he'll be in our best 23 at the start of the season, I reckon he'll be in it at the end of the season.
Let's judge him after some more pressure...the finals.....
He was appalling last year in the finals.

Everyone coughs it up from time to time - even Nick did a couple of times last year.
Nobes has steadily improved since we drafted him & his line breaking run is important to our game style.
He's another of our rookie gems.
Even Coventry kicked for goal in patches - but the goal scoring patches were much longer than most.

Fair enough, he definitely has some scintillating attributes. He’ll have to bring a more hardened resolve if it’s too be of any value in finals though.

As I said steep learning curve and let’s hope he has learnt.
I agree

Remove this Banner Ad

Back