Society/Culture Transgender athlete attempting to make history in the AFLW

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
Great story here about a transgender woman who will be attempting to make the grade in the AFLW. I'm not sure if she's any good, but regardless of whether or not she can be a good AFLW player, I'm sure it will be worth it, seeing as it's just such a great story to see someone blazing a trail. Hopefully it encourages more transgender women to consider a move to AFLW or women's sport in general.

CANBERRA ruck Hannah Mouncey will attempt to become the first transgender footballer in the AFLW’s second season when she nominates for the October 18 draft.

Mouncey, 27, represented Australia in the men’s handball side that attempted to qualify for the Rio Olympics before transitioning into a female.

She has already trialled for AFLW clubs including Melbourne and has interest from several Victorian sides given her powerful 100kg, 190cm physique.

Mouncey kicked 15 goals in the last three home-and-away games after moving from the midfield into the ruck for Ainslie in AFLW Canberra.

She has permission from the AFL to play given her testosterone levels are lower than most females and an agent in Tim Hazell pushing her draft prospects.

The AFL told the Herald Sun in June it welcomed transgender players provided they passed all relevant tests regarding testosterone levels.

ee6bf867ecf23303d142f2670833568a

A lot of people on the main board seem to be missing the bigger picture.

Guys aren't going to suddenly start thinking 'I'm going to become a woman so that I can play sport at a lower level'.
This is true. People arent going to change sex for this reason. but nonethless this person is a fit 100kg person. its almost impossible for a women to have those sort of physical attributes. its a massive unfair advantage. unless the average transgender women has the same average physical attributes as a female then its advantage that is unjust to naturally born women.

This is true. People arent going to change sex for this reason. but nonethless this person is a fit 100kg person. its almost impossible for a women to have those sort of physical attributes. its a massive unfair advantage. unless the average transgender women has the same average physical attributes as a female then its advantage that is unjust to naturally born women.
I tend to agree, but I can also see the reasoning when people say something like 'would Liz Cambage also be disallowed?'

I don't really understand the intricacies of how testosterone is reduced for transgenders well enough.

I played my first game of mixed netball, as an A grade player against the guys at the footy club. Biggest mistake we ever made in our lives, half of us were off the court before the third quarter with injuries ranging from broken wrists and fingers to a broken nose and it was all completely unintentional.

I don't have a problem with anybody wanting to transition, I just don't care good luck be happy all the best. He developed as a man though playing competition sport and didn't switch until he was fully developed as a guy. If he/she had hormone treatments to lower testosterone, what's the difference between taking steroids for performance enhancement/get the edge at every other level of professional sport which puts you out in disgrace?

Edit: This looks like cheating

Last edited:
I played my first game of mixed netball, as an A grade player against the guys at the footy club. Biggest mistake we ever made in our lives, half of us were off the court before the third quarter with injuries ranging from broken wrists and fingers to a broken nose and it was all completely unintentional.

That makes me feel better. First game of mixed netball I played, I concussed a woman, and I sobbed on the court.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi Kirsti here a transgender Footy Player. Trans inclusion in sport is a very contentious issue and as a trans athelte I do not agree with the AFL or IOC's current trans participation policies.

I am happy to share my experiences and answer any respectful questions as this subject is about to become even more contentious if changes to the current policies are not made.

Oh boy. Here we go.

Anyone who watches MMA knows this is a terrible idea.
With female combat sports in the Olympics this could turn out horrendous

Hi Kirsti here a transgender Footy Player. Trans inclusion in sport is a very contentious issue and as a trans athelte I do not agree with the AFL or IOC's current trans participation policies.
We have had short conversations re this
I see women getting badly hurt in certain sports.
Also over time we have seen whole countries try to cheat in Olympic competition.This could see the destruction of womens sport

I tend to agree, but I can also see the reasoning when people say something like 'would Liz Cambage also be disallowed?'

I don't really understand the intricacies of how testosterone is reduced for transgenders well enough.
testosterone is only one part of it. Bone structure doesnt change and testosterone doesnt impact all aspects of muscles. The fact a particular women may be able to compete with an athletic transgender women is not the point. The point is whether there is a vast difference in the average physical attributes of transgender women compared to average naturally born women. If there is then it creates an unfair advantage that will most likely result in transgender women disproportiinately making up a greater share of female athletes. If that is what we want then fair enough. But I think it goes against the very reason why we have sports comps restricted to only certain sub groups of the population. I.e. because on average that sub group is physically limited to the average of other sub groups.

A lot of people on the main board seem to be missing the bigger picture.

Guys aren't going to suddenly start thinking 'I'm going to become a woman so that I can play sport at a lower level'.
She is 190cm tall and weighs 100 kegs. Clubs will be looking for players with similar physical attributes to combat Hannah. There may be several AFL players struggling with their gender identity. This may be the catalyst for them to express their gender fluidity, and possibly further their playing career in the AFLW,

Do you really think there would be a future where elite international sport is entirely men, or women competing as women but born as men?

It would be quite ridiculous.
No, if it came to that there would be pushback and a redefinition of what is required to compete in elite women's sport.

The only way it works is if there are token competitors who are moderately good.

No, if it came to that there would be pushback and a redefinition of what is required to compete in elite women's sport.

The only way it works is if there are token competitors who are moderately good.

It doesn't sound all that bad, a few girls born girls might miss out on chances

This is an interesting one.

At the moment there are two AFL leagues for two different genders - the AFL(men) and the AFLW(women).

Correct me if I'm wrong here but doesn't the LGBT movement wish to be identified as being of a different gender(s)? i.e not male, not female, but a specific gender(perfectly fine imo).

So really there needs to either be a separate league for LGBT(obviously not possible at this point in time due to numbers), or change the name of the AFLW to something like AFLWLGBT or something that reflects what it actually is.

This is an interesting one.

At the moment there are two AFL leagues for two different genders - the AFL(men) and the AFLW(women).

Correct me if I'm wrong here but doesn't the LGBT movement wish to be identified as being of a different gender(s)? i.e not male, not female, but a specific gender(perfectly fine imo).

So really there needs to either be a separate league for LGBT(obviously not possible at this point in time due to numbers), or change the name of the AFLW to something like AFLWLGBT or something that reflects what it actually is.
We may need a third league for players who identify as non-binary.

The AFL+

Remove this Banner Ad

Back