Society/Culture Transgender athlete attempting to make history in the AFLW

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you really think there would be a future where elite international sport is entirely men, or women competing as women but born as men?

Gymnastics , Shooting, and Equestrian events are probably safe for real women.

I'm sure women are thrilled that the only difference between them and men is testsosterone level. Things like bone structure, limb length, muscle insertions, muscle composition, aggression levels, years spent developing with a man's testosterone level all mean nothing apparently.
What limb length do males have ?

Think it needs to be 3 years after surgery before you can play as the opposing sex to which you were born in physical sports such as Aussie Rules.

Not sure if that is too long or not as i do not know any transgender people or anything but it takes time to fully transition

Think it needs to be 3 years after surgery before you can play as the opposing sex to which you were born in physical sports such as Aussie Rules.

Not sure if that is too long or not as i do not know any transgender people or anything but it takes time to fully transition
Or maybe when their DNA proves their sex has changed

Disappointing result, but I look forward to seeing what possible reason the AFL could have for denying Hannah's entry into the AFLW draft. I'm sure they will not give the real reason though, they'll make up some excuse, which is the AFL's usual MO when they make arbitrary decisions.

The timing of this decision is suspicious too, they could have made it a while ago but as it stands there is no time for her to appeal this decision now. Very cynical by the AFL :thumbsdown:

Can't compete in the AFLW this season. All clear to play for Ainslie next year in the AFL Canberra competition. Good luck girls!

Can't compete in the AFLW this season. All clear to play for Ainslie next year in the AFL Canberra competition. Good luck girls!

There's the other bit of inconsistency. She can't play against the best female footballers in the country because it's a young competition . . . however she is able to play in state games against lesser athletes? Makes no sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It makes plenty of sense if you consider the AFLW as a loss leading marketing exercise aimed at increasing junior participation in young girls.

There’s no benefit to the AFL’s strategic ambitions to have transgender women playing the sport at the highest level.

I have fulfilled all the legal requirements to amend my birth certificate to female in Nsw.
The law made a huge mistake allowing that.

There are a lot of statisticians who would be highly offended by it, and completely unable to do their jobs as a result of it.
But screw them. They're a weird minority anyway.

I've said it before some pages ago - I don't really care much what people do with themselves after they're born. Got nothing against surgery to alter your appearance, you can say whatever you like about who or what you are. Have whatever you want printed on your drivers licence.

But you do not alter the historical record. You do not get to go around saying you were born a purple cat just because you want to be one now.
It's like altering German birth records to say Hitler was born black. It's stupid and unnecessary.

Birth certificates are a record of a birth, not what happens afterwards. They're an important source of information gathering.
It's a selfish, meaningless thing to do and hinders accurate records being obtained from birth records.

I've said it before some pages ago - I don't really care much what people do with themselves after they're born. Got nothing against surgery to alter your appearance, you can say whatever you like about who or what you are. Have whatever you want printed on your drivers licence.

But you do not alter the historical record. You do not get to go around saying you were born a purple cat just because you want to be one now.
It's like altering German birth records to say Hitler was born black. It's stupid and unnecessary.

Birth certificates are a record of a birth, not what happens afterwards. They're an important source of information gathering.
It's a selfish, meaningless thing to do and hinders accurate records being obtained from birth records.
Are you assuming that old record is destroyed? My current birth certificate is different to the original, as I changed my name. It's a re-issue. I've no idea what happens to the original record, but I highly doubt it's wiped from the face of the earth.

Are you assuming that old record is destroyed? My current birth certificate is different to the original, as I changed my name. It's a re-issue. I've no idea what happens to the original record, but I highly doubt it's wiped from the face of the earth.
Hardly the point.
But even if it were, I wouldn't even agree with changing your name.
If you were born John Smith, then that's what your birth record should say.
Again, I don't care if your drivers licence says Bungledork Kazoo the Mighty because you had your name changed. That isn't the issue.

Hardly the point.
But even if it were, I wouldn't even agree with changing your name.
If you were born John Smith, then that's what your birth record should say.
Again, I don't care if your drivers licence says Bungledork Kazoo the Mighty because you had your name changed. That isn't the issue.
How is it not the point? If the original records exist, then they can be used for statistical analysis, which is what you are concerned about - correct me if I'm wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back