Society/Culture Attempted Assassination Of Salman Rushdie

Remove this Banner Ad

Crickets chirping

If woke can be defined as selective outrage - then this board is very 'woke' in it functioning.

That doesn't make one a 'lefty' or a 'righty' either. My personal view is it makes you a bit of a w***er.

A novelist has had an attempt on his life for a book he wrote 34 years ago, ten years before the terrorist who inflicted the wounds was born. Let that sink in.
The reward for someone killing Rushdie could be paid to the killer’s family if the killer didn’t survive, or wound up serving a life sentence, couldn’t it? These people are willing to sacrifice themselves for the “honour”, or perhaps even to help their family.

For all those wondering exactly WHAT in The Satanic Verses has all these extremists hopping mad;

What is 'The Satanic Verses'?

Published in 1988, "The Satanic Verses" follows two Indian Muslim actors who magically survive a plane hijacking. As they fall from the sky, one of the actors is transformed into the archangel Gabriel, while the other morphs into the devil.

The book explores themes of dislocation, the nature of good and evil, doubt, and the loss of religious faith.

"The Satanic Verses" was inspired by the life of the Islamic prophet Muhammad, whom Rushdie renames "Mahound" — a derogatory term used by the English during the Crusades.

The novel's title refers to the Satanic Verses, a group of verses from the Qur'an that Muhammad — who is meant to be morally infallible — allegedly mistook for divine revelation. These verses permitted prayer to three pre-Islamic Meccan goddesses, which is a stark violation of Islamic monotheism. The Satanic Verses were withdrawn on the grounds that the devil had sent them to trick Muhammad into thinking they came from God, and devout Muslims deny that these verses ever existed...

To my way of thinking, if you have that kind of unshakeable faith, wouldn't anything an unbeliever says be instantly inconsequential? All these insults are coming from 'outside the club' as it were and therefore ought to hold no impact on faith or devotion to whatever deity you hold dear.

As a Geelong supporter it is an ecumenical article of faith that I slag the Hawthorn Football Club at every turn, for past grievances I won't go into just now.

I hardly think this erodes the beatific devotion Gough might have for his beloved Hawks though.

Would he issue a fatwa against me and mine? Should he?

Nah. It's stupid. Insults. Blasphemy. Heresy. They would do nothing to shake an uncrackable faith. Why get so upset?

To my way of thinking, if you have that kind of unshakeable faith, wouldn't anything an unbeliever says be instantly inconsequential? All these insults are coming from 'outside the club' as it were and therefore ought to hold no impact on faith or devotion to whatever deity you hold dear.
One suspects Rushdies criticisms were just a little bit close to home.

He's a pretty good writer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back