Society/Culture Attempted Assassination Of Salman Rushdie

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder why there wasn't better security for Salman given an attempt on his life wasn't unexpected.

Look at how quiet this Fred is...wheres all the "bash a fash" and "punch a nazi" types?

Crickets chirping

If woke can be defined as selective outrage - then this board is very 'woke' in it functioning.

That doesn't make one a 'lefty' or a 'righty' either. My personal view is it makes you a bit of a w***er.

A novelist has had an attempt on his life for a book he wrote 34 years ago, ten years before the terrorist who inflicted the wounds was born. Let that sink in.

I find it interesting that the majority of posts in this thread aren't 'this is a travesty, radical Islam is bad', but criticizing the left for those not posting in this thread.
Yes it is interesting isn't it.
I'm not really criticizing the 'left' in my post, but more so 'woke' attitudes, the doubles standards of Twitter posted was disturbing to say the least.

I'm not really criticizing the 'left' in my post, but more so 'woke' attitudes, the doubles standards of Twitter posted was an disturbing to say the least.
I wasn't actually talking about you, although the post you wrote above it is certainly an example. There's a lot of posts in here that seem to be poking at left wingers instead of lamentation or outrage at an attack on an elderly author for something he wrote.

I am minded of the period after 9/11, when you had to actively say something about it. It wasn't assumed you were against a terrorist attack, because that would just be common sense; no, you had to make your thoughts on it known, because if you didn't something(s) was assumed about you. There was a performative element to the response, and if you were unwilling to commit to verbal opposition or unwilling to join in for the series of reprisals that were the war in Afghanistan and Iraq you were innately seen as pro terrorism or for an attack on civilians, at least in the first year or so.

Obviously this is to a lesser degree, but it's an interesting phenomenon. Does it not go without saying that most people on the left/progressive side of things are against stabbing authors for their words for fanatical reasons? If not, why not?

Last edited:
I'm not really criticizing the 'left' in my post, but more so 'woke' attitudes, the doubles standards of Twitter posted was an disturbing to say the least.
Nothing to do with being woke, it's just that christian rather than islamic fundamentalism is the chosen extreme around here.

I wasn't actually talking about you, although the post you wrote above it is certainly an example. There's a lot of posts in here that seem to be poking at left wingers instead of lamentation or outrage at an attack on an elderly author for something he wrote.

I am minded of the period after 9/11, when you had to actively say something about it. It wasn't assumed you were against a terrorist attack, because that would just be common sense; no, you had to make your thoughts on it known, because if you didn't something(s) was assumed about you. There was a performative element to the response, and if you were unwilling to commit to verbal opposition or unwilling to join in for a series of reprisals you were innately seen as pro terrorism or for an attack on civilians.

Obviously this is to a lesser degree, but it's an interesting phenomenon. Does it not go without saying that most people on the left/progressive side of things are against stabbing authors for their words for fanatical reasons? If not, why not?

Seems your perceptions of the world from your second paragraph is something you would like to project onto conservatives/white people re nazi's in 2022 and beyond.
IMO and from my experience Woke attitudes toward Islam/muslims was very different to what you are portraying post 9/11 and into the noughties. On the other side of the coin, Bolt is a hypocrite and always has been but this is not about him, or there values that is being discusses in here.

I know your against Islamic terrorism, it's just how much against it are you? These people do not compromise their beliefs, is violence the only acceptable way to eradicate them?

I think the irony here for American Muslims is that they just got over telling Sunnis and Shias to stop killing each other in New Mexico over their religious beliefs, now they have to condemn muslims for stabbing non-Muslims too, over their religious beliefs.

Something tells me these religious beliefs aren't as peaceful as they make out. Apparently they can be used to compel you to stab both Muslims and non-Muslims.

All religions are stupid, but the Islamic religion stands out as extra stupid and dangerous, Muhammed can go eat a bag of them.

Seems your perceptions of the world from your second paragraph is something you would like to project onto conservatives/white people re nazi's in 2022 and beyond.
Tell me, why do you spend just so much time telling people that their experience is projection?

I really object to being told that my experience of life didn't happen, EM. Do you appreciate it if/when I do the same thing to you.
IMO and from my experience Woke attitudes toward Islam/muslims was very different to what you are portraying post 9/11 and into the noughties.
It's also interesting to me how in the first part of this post I was projecting, but here you treat what I was saying as reality.
On the other side of the coin, Bolt is a hypocrite and always has been but this is not about him, or there values that is being discusses in here.
Didn't bring up Bolt. Wonder why you did.
I know your against Islamic terrorism, it's just how much against it are you? These people do not compromise their beliefs, is violence the only acceptable way to eradicate them?
That's an interesting question. Tell you what, I'll answer yours if you answer mine first.

Tell me, why do you spend just so much time telling people that their experience is projection?

I really object to being told that my experience of life didn't happen, EM. Do you appreciate it if/when I do the same thing to you.

It's also interesting to me how in the first part of this post I was projecting, but here you treat what I was saying as reality.

Didn't bring up Bolt. Wonder why you did.

That's an interesting question. Tell you what, I'll answer yours if you answer mine first.
Projecting as in, you, from the prism of a white-male-cis gendered- lefty, have perceived the world post September 11, and it's apparent that was that you're either anti terrorism or you are one or some such - to that of you're views now, partaking in the violence against Nazis and that, to quote you, if there's 10 people in the room and one is a nazi then everyone in the room is a nazi'.

And apologies if you took offense to the projecting part or dismissing as what you've perceived as not to be reality, that's something for another philosophical discussion all together isn't it? I remember I had a discussion many years ago from someone who was in the academia - a Maoist mind you, who claimed that there's no such thing as reality just perceptions of it.

But the thing is is this, I and others see a disconnect from your views and that of the 'left' side of politics, and it's a blatant hypocrisy.
On the one hand you are sensitive with the struggles and prejudice toward the Muslim populace post September 11 - yet you have some pretty stubborn and I would say pig-headed views and guilt by association re white nationalism.

When you have had some strong opinions on 'right wing' extremism and then something like the stabbing of a writer happens from another form of extremism - it's quite reasonable for people to ask for your opinion on the matter. It's always a moment of peak hypocrisy from fringe elements of the left when Islamic terrorism happens, and it's an unappealing look.

I am minded of the period after 9/11, when you had to actively say something about it. It wasn't assumed you were against a terrorist attack, because that would just be common sense; no, you had to make your thoughts on it known, because if you didn't something(s) was assumed about you. There was a performative element to the response, and if you were unwilling to commit to verbal opposition or unwilling to join in for the series of reprisals that were the war in Afghanistan and Iraq you were innately seen as pro terrorism or for an attack on civilians, at least in the first year or so.
Virtue signalling is a competitive sport. If you're not publicly stating how passionately opposed you are to every horror, it is implied that you must in fact be in support of said horror. If you don't check under your bed for terrorists every night in a paranoid fashion, some would claim that as evidence that you must be a terrorist yourself.

You're smart enough to see the double edged point I'm making here boss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Projecting as in, you, from the prism of a white-male-cis gendered- lefty, have perceived the world post September 11, and it's apparent that was that you're either anti terrorism or you are one or some such - to that of you're views now, partaking in the violence against Nazis and that, to quote you, if there's 10 people in the room and one is a nazi then everyone in the room is a nazi'.
You are misquoting me here, and the details of the misquote change the meaning. It's an old German saying, and that saying is as follows: if you have ten people sitting at a table, and there is a Nazi sitting at that table, there are eleven Nazis. The point of the saying is that Nazis exercise cultural infiltration, donning the colours of whatever movement they think offers them opportunity to seize power.

It's interesting that your version of it paints me rather unkindly, EM.
But the thing is is this, I and others see a disconnect from your views and that of the 'left' side of politics, and it's a blatant hypocrisy.
One thinks the right are entirely too focussed on hypocrisy when once they focussed on being correct.
On the one hand you are sensitive with the struggles and prejudice toward the Muslim populace post September 11 - yet you have some pretty stubborn and I would say pig-headed views and guilt by association re white nationalism.
Where I would call you a soft fascist plant who wears the skin of being left wing because it keeps you warm in winter.

I genuinely don't think I've discussed Islam or muslims on here more than once, other than to say that those of my acquaintance weren't likely to become terrorists. I don't think you know my opinions here.
When you have had some strong opinions on 'right wing' extremism and then something like the stabbing of a writer happens from another form of extremism - it's quite reasonable for people to ask for your opinion on the matter. It's always a moment of peak hypocrisy from fringe elements of the left when Islamic terrorism happens, and it's an unappealing look.
People aren't asking for opinions, though. They're assuming them, and performing their own virtue signalling or attacking the left for not performing adequately or at all.

Reckon FireKrakouer is right above.

You are misquoting me here, and the details of the misquote change the meaning. It's an old German saying, and that saying is as follows: if you have ten people sitting at a table, and there is a Nazi sitting at that table, there are eleven Nazis. The point of the saying is that Nazis exercise cultural infiltration, donning the colours of whatever movement they think offers them opportunity to seize power.

It's interesting that your version of it paints me rather unkindly, EM.

One thinks the right are entirely too focussed on hypocrisy when once they focussed on being correct.

Where I would call you a soft fascist plant who wears the skin of being left wing because it keeps you warm in winter.

I genuinely don't think I've discussed Islam or muslims on here more than once, other than to say that those of my acquaintance weren't likely to become terrorists. I don't think you know my opinions here.

People aren't asking for opinions, though. They're assuming them, and performing their own virtue signalling or attacking the left for not performing adequately or at all.

Reckon FireKrakouer is right above.

My version to your version is splitting hairs. You like to punch fascists, so does a lot of other posters - but the silence in this thread is deafening. You've engaged in this thread and credit to you, others in that thread haven't. Again, you like to punch nazi's, you're out there with that - loud and proud, good for you - I can't really paint you in any other way really it is what it is. The dilemma in that thread is why nazis and not say islamic extremists or paedo's etc.

I'm left wing because that's my self interest and the scars I've weathered in life above and beyond reading books and an education - which for most others on this board who are 'left' it's probably the other way around.

I'm not sure who are those of your acquaintance are that are Muslim, were they friends, family? The thing is that you and others have strong views on the politics boards which tend to be 'woke' but not so strong on this this topic is topical in itself and here we are.

We both agree with FK then, he stated what I was trying to say more succinctly and eloquently.

My version to your version is splitting hairs. You like to punch fascists, so does a lot of other posters - but the silence in this thread is deafening. You've engaged in this thread and credit to you, others in that thread haven't. Again, you like to punch nazi's, you're out there with that - loud and proud, good for you - I can't really paint you in any other way really it is what it is. The dilemma in that thread is why nazis and not say islamic extremists or paedo's etc.
... which has been explained to you why a) that's an oversimplification, and b) why it's necessary to oppose Nazis even at the risk of social transgression, multiple times.

Your inability to comprehend the nuances is the reason why you keep falsely depicting what I'm saying down to 'you like to punch nazis'.
I'm left wing because that's my self interest and the scars I've weathered in life above and beyond reading books and an education - which for most others on this board who are 'left' it's probably the other way around.
... this isn't the thread for why this seems to suggest a genuinely wild journey into how you've gotten to the idea that you're left wing, so I'll let that be.
I'm not sure who are those of your acquaintance are that were Muslim, were they friends, family?
Housemates in sharehomes. A Saudi, a Pakistani, a Bangladeshi, and an Iranian. The Saudi and the Iranian were genuinely wealthy, the Pakistani and Bangladeshi were from middle class origins.
The thing is that you and others have strong views on the politics boards which tend to be 'woke' but not so strong on this this topic is topical in itself and here we are.

We both agree with FK then, he stated what I was trying to say more succinctly and eloquently.
Except FK points the finger at both sides of the ledger. You're pointing directly at me, bellowing "HYPOCRACY!!!" in the deepest, most sanctimonius voice you can muster.

I'd still like my questions answered, by you or others, by the way. Why is it not assumed that those who aren't posting in here would also be against the stabbing of a seventy five year old author over a more than decade old fatwa? If you do assume that, why do you think that way?

I'm not sure who are those of your acquaintance are that are Muslim, were they friends, family? The thing is that you and others have strong views on the politics boards which tend to be 'woke' but not so strong on this this topic is topical in itself and here we are.

Yeah yeah, we get it. You, FK, Eddie McGuire and the rest of Collingwood are all radical leftists.

... which has been explained to you why a) that's an oversimplification, and b) why it's necessary to oppose Nazis even at the risk of social transgression, multiple times.

Your inability to comprehend the nuances is the reason why you keep falsely depicting what I'm saying down to 'you like to punch nazis'.

... this isn't the thread for why this seems to suggest a genuinely wild journey into how you've gotten to the idea that you're left wing, so I'll let that be.

Housemates in sharehomes. A Saudi, a Pakistani, a Bangladeshi, and an Iranian. The Saudi and the Iranian were genuinely wealthy, the Pakistani and Bangladeshi were from middle class origins.

Except FK points the finger at both sides of the ledger. You're pointing directly at me, bellowing "HYPOCRACY!!!" in the deepest, most sanctimonius voice you can muster.

I'd still like my questions answered, by you or others, by the way. Why is it not assumed that those who aren't posting in here would also be against the stabbing of a seventy five year old author over a more than decade old fatwa? If you do assume that, why do you think that way?

With regards to your first and last paragraph we will have to agree to disagree less we go around in circles until both of us are banging our heads into a brick wall.
I'm left wing in the real world and that should not be so hard to entertain.

Kayhan newspaper in Iran

"A thousand bravos… to the brave and dutiful person who attacked the apostate and evil Salman Rushdie in New York," adding, "The hand of the man who tore the neck of God's enemy must be kissed".

A proud day for Islam by the sounds of it.

There's a lot of posts in here that seem to be poking at left wingers instead of lamentation or outrage at an attack on an elderly author for something he wrote.

This essentially all it's about. 'pwning tEh LeFt' :drunk:

None of these characters give a flying fig about Rushdie. It's just a chance to finger point and screech.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back