Triple Towers Forward Line In 2020 ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton

This article suggests the Dockers are trying to create a rather imposing forward line in 2020.

Rory Lobb (207cm)
Matt Taberner (199cm)
Jesse Hogan (195cm)

If those three guys can stay on the park for the majority of the season then opposition coaches will be working overtime to find a way to quell their influence.

With some crumbing support from small goal-kicking forwards like Walters, this could be an incredibly potent set-up.

Is that how all you regular Dockers fans see it playing out ??

This article suggests the Dockers are trying to create a rather imposing forward line in 2020.

Rory Lobb (207cm)
Matt Taberner (199cm)
Jesse Hogan (195cm)

If those three guys can stay on the park for the majority of the season then opposition coaches will be working overtime to find a way to quell their influence.

With some crumbing support from small goal-kicking forwards like Walters, this could be an incredibly potent set-up.

Is that how all you regular Dockers fans see it playing out ??

What is only slightly alluded to in that article is the fact that whilst all three are tall forwards they are all very mobile and in particular Tabs and Hogan do a lot of their good work up the ground. Despite being almost 200cm tall Tabs came Top 5/6 in the grand final sprint 2-3 years ago and Hogan's best work at the Demons was always as a mobile forward. What they need to work on is avoiding what we saw early last season where sometimes two or three of them went for the same ball and got in each others way.

When we (comfortably) beat GWS in Canberra last year both Tabs and Hogan got three goals and although Lobb played in the ruck that day we still fielded Cox as a third tall forward.

The other thing that isn't mentioned in the article is what it enabled our smaller forwards to do early on in the season when we fielded three talls:
- Rd 1 vs North: McCarthy - 5 goals
- Rd 3 vs Saints: Matera - 3 goals; Walters - 2 goals
- Rd 5 vs GWS: Matera - 4 goals
- Rd 6 vs Bulldogs: Matera - 5 goals

To a large extent our problem in the second half of the season was that the game plan had been to move it forward quickly and bomb it long confident that one of the talls would at least halve the contest. Once we'd lost Hogan and Tabs (and Lobb for the last four rounds) then it exposed this as a low-skill game plan that fell apart when there's only one genuine tall forward. If, as reported is the focus in training, we clean up our forward entries then we have the ability to go toe-to-toe with most teams.

But we will be a work in progress next season and I suspect will be as inconsistent as last year. That said, the reason why most fans are quietly confident we will start to rise back up the ladder in 2021 is that once we get a few more games into our youngsters we do have quality across all the lines building around a spine of (if fit):
B: Pearce and Hamling (one of the most underrated players in the comp)
C: Fyfe and Darcy (who I wouldn't trade for any other young ruck)
F: Hogan and Lobb

Always been a favour of two talls as regulars and the third only added to stretch sides, especially at the end of a quarter.

Having too many talls can result in a lack of run and pressure on defensive rebounds.

The theory is Hoges and Tabs are the two regulars and Lobb visits 30 - 40 % of the time, rolling through ruck.

The other important aspect of our forward plan is to greatly improve the quality of delivery.

In the last draft in particular we have targeted exceptionally good kicks and early preseason training drills have had
A focus on kicking to the right forward target and finding it.
I would be confident of Hayden Young coming into the side early on and players like Stephen Hill and Nathan Wilson
Being the delivery drivers. Darcy Tucker is another sublime kick whom we would love to see with the ball in his hands.

For all the accolades Brad Hill receives the main detractor of his game is his kicking.
Melbourne are probably feeling they have secured a star wingman in Ed Langdon while the reality is whenever Ed had
The ball it meant the opposition had the next possession.
Those two were our wingmen last year and while we will lose some speed with their departure we hope to offset that with quality disposers.
Cam McCarthy is being touted as wingman by the coach and if he does play wing or half forward we have another outstanding kick to hit up those three towers in the forward line.

I am also thrilled at the prospect of Walters , Serong and Liam Henry in the forward line as well; again, three smalls with outstanding foot Skills.

Last edited:
Always been a favour of two talls as regulars and the third only added to stretch sides, especially at the end of a quarter.

Having too many talls can result in a lack of run and pressure on defensive rebounds.
I think the coaches can strike a balance. Matera, Switter and perhaps a Young or Serong will be even impressive.
It’s about striking that balance. Hogan needs to be that stay at home forward. Kicked 50 goals one on ones at Melbourne within the 50. Ross had him running around the freaking defensive 50 getting cheap marks ffs.
Lobb and Tabs can take their defenders with them, but Freo never really had a great forward structure where players get away from each other. Tabs so often gets in the way of Hogan and vice versa.
Watch West Coast. Kennedy has space in front as Darling draws around his man. If Freo somehow get that right, then perhaps have a chance.

Watch West Coast. Kennedy has space in front as Darling draws around his man. If Freo somehow get that right,
JLo was the Wiggles Forward coach for a long time.

If anyone can teach our forwards, it's him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the coaches can strike a balance. Matera, Switter and perhaps a Young or Serong will be even impressive.
It’s about striking that balance. Hogan needs to be that stay at home forward. Kicked 50 goals one on ones at Melbourne within the 50. Ross had him running around the freaking defensive 50 getting cheap marks ffs.
Lobb and Tabs can take their defenders with them, but Freo never really had a great forward structure where players get away from each other. Tabs so often gets in the way of Hogan and vice versa.
Watch West Coast. Kennedy has space in front as Darling draws around his man. If Freo somehow get that right, then perhaps have a chance.

I wonder if Mark Lecras will have some input into forward structure.
Does his coaching brief extend to structure and game plan ?

The most valuable thing LeCras could pass on to our players is how to win free kicks. Only concern would be the potential copyright infringement lawsuit from WC.

I'm assuming they have a registered patent?!?

The most valuable thing LeCras could pass on to our players is how to win free kicks. Only concern would be the potential copyright infringement lawsuit from WC.

I'm assuming they have a registered patent?!?

Pffft nah no way - Duck, Duck, Goose has been in the public domain for yonks.

Guess it's twin towers for now. Tabs and Lobb plus McCarthy?

We can stop worrying about a lack of speed due to McCarthy's work in the midfield.
Would be exciting news for Cox and Dixon as well.
Having said all that, hope to see Hoges back soon.

We can stop worrying about a lack of speed due to McCarthy's work in the midfield.
Would be exciting news for Cox and Dixon as well.
Having said all that, hope to see Hoges back soon.
What does it mean if Cox* isn't already penciled in for this kind of situation? Next match sim will be interesting.

* I doubt if he is.

Time to give Sturt a go.

Tabs Sturt and Lobb

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
McCarthy has to be in the mix too. I realise that he is training with the midfield, but I don’t presume that a decision has been made there. At least in part it could be a development strategy for a player who is struggling to produce his consistent best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back