UEFA Champions League 2018/19

Who do you want to win?

• Tottenham

• Liverpool

• Happy with either

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't our run of bad form start after Kane came back from injury? :think:
Started the 1st game Kane came back. I don't think we were playing well while he was injured though, we just kept escaping each time

Pep's knockout stage away leg record is coming under scrutiny again. His entire record in Europe over the last 8 years has been poor considering the teams he's managed. Gets regularly out coached in the latter stages.

I think City will probably scrape through at home by virtue of having better players but there is definitely something iffy when it comes to Guardiola in Europe.

Only seen the highlights, appears Liverpool should have scored a few more however still a comfortable win. Should progress from here, nicely done.

That was a great save by Lloris to keep Aguero out, huge moment. In the end, that could be a massive turning point.

Unsure of the severity of Kane’s injury but his absence doesn’t seem to impact Spurs as much as it should, if that makes sense.

Pep's knockout stage away leg record is coming under scrutiny again. His entire record in Europe over the last 8 years has been poor considering the teams he's managed. Gets regularly out coached in the latter stages.

I think City will probably scrape through at home by virtue of having better players but there is definitely something iffy when it comes to Guardiola in Europe.

It's scary when you have a tight contest and stay with them for however many minutes and then they have the option to bring on players like De Bruyne, Jesus and Sane from the bench... That's the difference between clubs with huge purses and those with big purses. Our starting 11 can match it with them, but their bench is always going to s**t on ours. The squad depth is ridiculous.

It's scary when you have a tight contest and stay with them for however many minutes and then they have the option to bring on players like De Bruyne, Jesus and Sane from the bench... That's the difference between clubs with huge purses and those with big purses. Our starting 11 can match it with them, but their bench is always going to s**t on ours. The squad depth is ridiculous.
Let's hope he waits until the 88th minute to change anything again. Was perplexed by that.

a down game unsurprisingly following sheer volume of important games. pep doing his overthinking/trying to be clever. play your guns and go for it. and stop playing mahrez

He should probably stop playing Delph at left back whilst he's at it. I thought Mendy was supposed to be fit?

Last edited:
He should probably stop playing Delph at right back whilst he's at it. I thought Mendy was supposed to be fit?
fit in a sense, but has barely played for months. but in general, pep in away games leaves a lot to be desired.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fit in a sense, but has barely played for months. but in general, pep in away games leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm not being smart here but you'd have been better off playing with 10. Delph was diabolical although I bear no ill-will regarding the Kane injury. I doubt Delph even realised Kane was putting in a challenge there.

Fernandinho should have seen a red card for dropping his forearm into the back of Kane's head though. That was quite deliberate and makes me question the point of VAR.

Yeah said that to my mate when watching the game. Starting 11 not a lot between the sides but while we literally have no extra firepower or creativity to bring on, City have an array of talent to call upon.

I’d probably still have City favourites, but we’ve given ourselves a chance. Will be a totally different approach by City in the second leg, and we’re gonna have to defend superbly and take whatever chances we can on the counter. Certainly gonna need a goal, perhaps two to go through.

Defensively we were great tonight. That’s probably the most nullified I’ve seen the city attack for a long time

Pep Guardiola managing teams away from home in Champions League knockout games:

Played 26
Won 6
Drawn 10
Lost 10

To be fair that record is better than it actually appears. Once you get to the knockout stages you are up against the very best there is. Pep has gotten something from 16/26 away fixtures and most gaffers would take that.

Sure, he has managed the elite of Europe but to get something from over 60% of your away ties is decent enough. I doubt there'd be a manager around with a better away record than that over so many knockout CL games.

To be fair that record is better than it actually appears. Once you get to the knockout stages you are up against the very best there is. Pep has gotten something from 16/26 away fixtures and most gaffers would take that.

Sure, he has managed the elite of Europe but to get something from over 60% of your away ties is decent enough. I doubt there'd be a manager around with a better away record than that over so many knockout CL games.

Agreed, it’s about getting through the ties rather than analysing just the one leg. In saying that still reckon Pep hasn’t hit anywhere near his full potential in the CL with Bayern or City yet

Optus pundits already writing off Spurs for top 4 due to Kanes injury. Totally disregard our form without him

Expect another 100+ articles in the next week saying the same thing. Gets tiresome to read
As much as a star that Kane is, you are almost better without him. It is a bit like Liverpool with Coutinho (albeit he isn't as good as Kane).

If Poch and the Tottenham board has the balls they would cash in on Kane in the summer and use that money to shore up a couple of areas with 2 or 3 other players and they could potentially jump into a real title contender

As much as a star that Kane is, you are almost better without him. It is a bit like Liverpool with Coutinho (albeit he isn't as good as Kane).

If Poch and the Tottenham board has the balls they would cash in on Kane in the summer and use that money to shore up a couple of areas with 2 or 3 other players and they could potentially jump into a real title contender
His ankle has gone I’m pretty convinced of it. That’s about four times in the last two seasons it’s buckled. The time to cash in on him might have passed, cos I’m pretty sure any medical will identify it as severely weakened

Umm, no.

We are not a better side without Kane. And if we sell Kane then we still have to replace him.

A small sample of results whilst Kane was injured proves nothing. Take 30 goals a season (based on a full 38 games) away from any team and it is almost impossible to fill that void.

His ankle has gone I’m pretty convinced of it. That’s about four times in the last two seasons it’s buckled. The time to cash in on him might have passed, cos I’m pretty sure any medical will identify it as severely weakened

They've all been "trauma" induced though. It's not like he is rolling his ankle every other week and missing football because of niggles. Phil Jones got him good earlier in the season and should have been red-carded for it. Delph's was a pure accident but it still forced the ankle into an unnatural position and would have injured most players. Kane heals pretty quickly so I think your concern longer-term might be a little premature.

Back